REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #51
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
dude.. comes with a free monitor and its arctic blue.
Advertisement
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #52
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,089 Times in 114 Posts
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but if anyone is looking for a brand new rig instead of upgrading, mine is for sale. I just finished building it.

dealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #53
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Looks sick stats?
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #54
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

and whats the price?
sam0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #55

@Hondaracer

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (CC650DW-1) Black Steel

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k 3.3Ghz SandyBridge - Can easily Overclock to 4.5GHz @ 1.33v

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX) 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Cooling: CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Video Cards: 2x XFX HD 6870's in CrossFireX

-

@sam0m0 - I'm looking for minimum $1,399. All mail in rebates still ready to send in as well.

Losing money if you factor in the time it took me to drive around town picking up all these parts at 3 NCIX locations (lol) and 2 days putting this together.

Blame the "Battlestations" thread for me impulse building a new rig. Saw some rigs that were all black and I knew I had to build 1 for aesthetic purposes
Old 10-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #56

When shit interests me, I go full retarded and have the MUST BUY NOW attitude...

Planning on purchasing the Murderbox case (murderbox) even though its $900+ dollars, I think the craftsmanship and quality is amazing. Local Vancouver guy that does it as well.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #57
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
damn..that is sick...it's like Pagani for computer nerds
at first i was like $900 but the attention to the details makes it look it's worth it after all...
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #58
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

that thing is beautiful no doubt.. but wtf parts they put in there? a complete one starts at 6000usd?? how much does the case cost? 4k? i'm sure you can build a really high end computer for 2k.. so where does the other 4k go??

Question: How much does a murderbox cost?
A complete murderbox starts at $6,000USD and goes up from there, depending on the amount of custom work involved.
A well appointed murderbox with a single liquid cooling loop, GPU and a few drives typically comes in around the $7,000USD mark while something on the level of Daniel's 008 build is in the neighborhood of 2-3x that. Every murderbox is executed to perfection – it really comes down to degrees of "ultimate".
terkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #59
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
okay i become computer illiterate after i build a rig by the time its time to upgrade/or get a new one im just like all over again

I take it Intel still makes the better chips these days based off the comments?

who has the better video card nowadays ATI or Nvidia?

I've got a new Antec TruePower 650W psu (old one died antec sent me a new one but i had already bought a diff one)
would it be good enough for a new rig?

which motherboard should i be getting if i wanted some upgrade possibilities in the future?

^^ thnx
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #60
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
CPU (right now): Intel i5 2500K can't be beat for pirce/performance

AMD Bulldozer FX is coming soon, you might want to wait and see how that does. All unlocked, gobs of cache, 8 cores, and can overclock like a mother

Also, Intel has Ivy Bridge coming after that. Six cores with 12 threads

Lots of goodies to play with in the coming weeks
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2011, 04:25 AM   #61
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt View Post
When shit interests me, I go full retarded and have the MUST BUY NOW attitude...

Planning on purchasing the Murderbox case (murderbox) even though its $900+ dollars, I think the craftsmanship and quality is amazing. Local Vancouver guy that does it as well.
Dude, if you get the murderbox, can you post it up?
I'd love to oggle over it in person if you are willing to show it off.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:40 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
CPU (right now): Intel i5 2500K can't be beat for pirce/performance

AMD Bulldozer FX is coming soon, you might want to wait and see how that does. All unlocked, gobs of cache, 8 cores, and can overclock like a mother

Also, Intel has Ivy Bridge coming after that. Six cores with 12 threads

Lots of goodies to play with in the coming weeks

so from a quick google it doesnt sound like Ivy Bridge will be available until next year?

and AMD "this quarter" i dunno if i my dad can wait that long he's already bitching about the frame rate on the BF3 beta
Old 10-08-2011, 05:17 AM   #63
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Report: AMD FX release date and prices by VR-Zone.com

http://www.techpowerup.com/151759/No...ge-E.html?cp=2

I can not confirm or deny that those dates are legit, just posting some links
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #64

shopblt

eh i remember hoping to order my N8 from them but they took forever to get stock and by the time they had stock it was all pre-ordered

but it looks like they got the pre-order for the FX-8150 up http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...er_id=!ORDERID!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:52 AM   #65

eh double posting oO

Last edited by StylinRed; 10-08-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #66
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
just go for the 2500k
if you are gonna wait for the bulldozer might as well suck it up and wait for ivy bridge...the amd FX series keeps getting pushed back it's ridiculous
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #67

Skinny what are your thoughts on the bulldozer? on OCN it seems its divided between people who think it will be great, and intel people who think it's behind in tech already

BTW, anyone got a decent guide to overclocking? i'm curious
Old 10-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #68
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,102 Times in 243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Skinny what are your thoughts on the bulldozer? on OCN it seems its divided between people who think it will be great, and intel people who think it's behind in tech already

BTW, anyone got a decent guide to overclocking? i'm curious
I think its just going to match or slightly surpass SB performance. If AMD had anything game changing, they wouldnt hold back flaunting it. Everyone saw what happened when they knew that Llano was better than SB mobile. So instead, all we had so far are years of missed deadlines (all of them they set themselves), which AMD refuses to comment on and in fact, tells the anxious enthusiast market to go home and stop asking. Keep in mind many of these people have already bought AM3+ boards, who I think has even more right to know whats going on with the chip.

The only indication of SB-level performance are the motherboard choices. BD better be good enough to warrant an expensive Sabertooth or UD7. Whether you buy based on price/performance or on politics...choose wisely. Also don't forget: SB is almost 10 months old now.

Anyways, the latest rumor is that the chips will be available on Oct 12.

Last edited by Datsun; 10-08-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #69
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Haven't seen a murderbox personally, but the best case I have come across personally in term of craftsmanship and quality are Soldam Windy cases.

Their attention to detail extends to every corner of the case down to the bolts used. If you want the ultimate case, find one of that. My friend who carried one back from Japan has been using it for the last 10 years. Worth every penny IMHO
Old 10-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #70
I don't get it

so what are people's preference.
Amd or Intel
Old 10-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #71
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,102 Times in 243 Posts
possibly legit BD benchmarks, use google translate:

AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer Preview | lab501
Datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #72

Little bulldozer review, makes me feel better about copping out for the 2600k

Quote:
Conclusions

I said from the beginning that Bulldozer architecture is a turning point for AMD, defining what will happen to the company's products in the coming years also, knowing the philosophy behind this new architecture, and most fans both new company or simply technology enthusiasts have built many expectations about the Bulldozer. 8 cores combined in an effective, attention by mainstream market AMD FX brand and achieve a return of 8.43 GHz frequency before launch, all fit this product seems to be very competitive.

But with our short passing test suite, we had the most brutal awakening since test components and write reviews, pure and simple, it is difficult to find a scenario where the bulldozer is a competitive solution. Handbrake only approach the performance of i7 2600K and with lower price may be considered a smart choice, assuming you only x264 encoding, but what about heat dissipation and energy consumption, of the approximately 250 RON save will have to buy a cooler better and we will remain current for many bills. Or what of the lack of vigor in multithreaded applications less, or downright tragic performance in floating point calculations? How justified that in some benchmarks is considerably slower than its predecessor, the Phenom II? How explain that encourages overclocking AMD producer, but Bulldozer double their energy consumption and so much just by raising the frequency and voltage in modest limits?

And we can not even enjoy the fact that AMD motherboards are usually cheaper because Bulldozer requires a motherboard with a power floor very, very strong to cope with current consumed by the processor, so therefore quite expensive talking about models that bring the cost to a platform similar to the Intel platform.

Unfortunately for us Bulldozer was not what we expected, and the disappointment is even greater as this architecture marks five years since AMD has lost market leadership processors, and 5 years from the last iteration of the FX brand . As a user of the Athlon 64, I remember the aura of exclusivity now that benefited expensive FX series processors, which fully deserves its price but because they were able performance. 5 years later, we are dealing with the hurting memory of his ancestors FX, a significantly lower performance than the competition and significantly higher consumption. And, in this case the price really does not matter. We want to see $ 1,000 AMD processors able to fight alongside solutions from Intel, not cheap products that do not justify their price anyway.

We can only hope that AMD will somehow fix the problem even in short-term energy consumption by a new revision, otherwise quite dark days loom for this area, as lack of real competition at this level does not bring anything good for the consumer final.
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #73

These are the steps in building a $20,000-$30,000 MurderBox: Case Mod Daniel’s murderbox – 008 / Final Abridged Version (page 1 loaded w/ images!) - bit-tech.net Forums

CPU's releasing soon are AMD Bulldozer > SandyBridge-E X79 Chipset and LGA 2011 socket > Ivy Bridge back to LGA1155. (Q2 2012)

I myself will wait for Ivy Bridge, even though SB-E X79 chipset looks very tempting...
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt View Post

Doesn't look worth that price @ all

is the guy who makes them on RS? RS DISCOUNT
Old 10-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #75
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Looking into buying a new monitor for gaming, under 300 anything between 21 to 24". Any suggestions? not sure whats good.. had my eye on samsung bx2450, i like the 2ms but contrast ratio seems little low. Samsung SyncMaster 24" Widescreen LED Monitor with 2 ms Response Time (BX2450) - Charcoal Grey : 24" & Up Monitors - Future Shop
sam0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote