REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 09-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #7051
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
If you need to mess around with the ONT registration in the future PM me
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2022, 06:58 PM   #7052
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
EVGA ends partnership with Nvidia, will no longer make graphics cards

https://www.xda-developers.com/evga-...raphics-cards/
Old 09-17-2022, 01:07 AM   #7053
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Yeah saw that on yt, quite shocked they were like the best AIB! They felt mistreated

I wonder if NVIDIA lying about supply and secretly in business with crypto mining companies like Hut8 played a part in it
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:20 AM   #7054
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
4080 and 4090 released. the 4080 is 2x4 times faster than the 3080ti.

Old 09-20-2022, 10:54 AM   #7055
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
See no reason to upgrade since I have a 3080 and a G-Sync compatible monitor.

No games coming out within the next year or two on PC that I'm anticipating will really force me to upgrade.

GTA 6 will come out around the time the next generation of GPUs are due, and DLSS 2.0 will easily do the job. I can't imagine it being much more GPU-intensive than RDR2, CPU if anything and I already have an i7-12700K.

The 4090 is fucking massive. Basically takes up 4 PCI slots and at 360mm long.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:57 PM   #7056
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
Absurd price. They must think people are still mining
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:24 PM   #7057

The new cards aren't even good for mining, 3080s are better, the bus widths on the 4080 cards are too low compared to 3080s 4080 12gb/16gb = 192/256 vs 3080 10gb/12gb = 320/384

I dunno why exactly just parroting what miners r saying, something about mining needing higher memory bus
Old 09-22-2022, 05:36 PM   #7058
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
I mean their pricing is as if it's based on how much mining caused inflation.. Them being useless for mining makes it even more ridiculous
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2022, 04:20 AM   #7059
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i'm sure everyone who went though the fucking hassle of finding a 3070 or 3080 in the limited supply in the very start aren't going to be going for the 4000 series unless something broke or want Cyberpunk at 100 fps in 4k with RT Max.

Nvidia lied and say 2x to 4x more performance but real world results are 1.5x to 2x on certain titles.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:46 PM   #7060

Old 09-29-2022, 04:28 PM   #7061

found a local dealer for Herman miller chairs in victoria. lets see how fast they are on shipping.

https://grshop.com

i'm pretty sure they're legit. https://www.instagram.com/gabrielrossshop/

kinda hyped to see how the Embody Chair is
Old 10-02-2022, 01:58 AM   #7062
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
Dam balling out lol gotta cs go again sometimes
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:13 PM   #7063

10/10 straight back....allowing more focus on the game and i don't feel lazy on the chair after so many hours... US version it comes in a massive box fully put together... you just have to put together the backrest with torx screws and its complete for canucks... took me about 12 minutes.

thankfully its not old stock either it was made on the 6th month of this year so it got the seat upgrade
https://www.reddit.com/r/hermanmille...egular_embody/

basically the gaming version of embody you feel the indents on the back and some even said they felt it more on the spine..

took the most comfortable verison IMO with regular model

Last edited by Mr.Money; 10-07-2022 at 08:37 PM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:21 AM   #7064

Old 10-12-2022, 10:31 AM   #7065
Say! Say! Say!

I had the Louqe Ghost S1 a few years ago. Nice solid case back then, but not so much now.

Much better alternatives at much more affordable prices even with this firesale and I would say the case is only really suitable for a mid-range and lower build since it only supports dual slot GPUs and low-profile CPU coolers (unless you use a top hat).
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:34 AM   #7066
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
What are some better current alternatives for miniITX cases?
Old 10-12-2022, 11:19 AM   #7067
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
What are some better current alternatives for miniITX cases?
Unless you absolutely need the sub-10L volume of the Ghost, I've found the NR200P and the Meshlicious to be the easiest to find, easy to work with, and reasonably priced.

NR200P goes on sale regularly down to $75 and the Meshlicious (w/ PCI-E 3.0 riser) can be found around $120.

The NZXT H1 v2 was on sale earlier this week on Amazon for $330. That one is not bad for an all-in-one since it includes case, cooler, PSU, and a PCI-E 4.0 riser.

I had all these cases (except I had the V1 of the NZXT H1) as well as a Nouvolo Steck and a Jonsbo A4 in the past couple of years. The Meshlicious is currently my favourite. The NZXT H1 would be my runner-up.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2022, 06:12 PM   #7068
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
I'm not sure if it's worth posting in here, but if this takes off, I'll create a new thread.

So the track season is coming to an end and my (now) wife actually expressed interest in participating next season. More so, I'd like to hone my skills throughout the fall and winter in preparation for next year. I managed to get promoted into a faster run group but still under the guidance of an instructor.

I'm looking to see if any of you guys have built any racing simulators and if so, if you can offer any advice on set up, gear, equipment, pit falls, and lessons learned. For now, I don't even know where to start and at the moment, no particular budget in mind.

Some of you noticed that I wanted a PS5 for Gran Turismo but evidently, I haven't been able to find one at MSRP (I do not want to pay over MSRP.) I'm also looking to see if there is a simulator or game/setup that will enable three pedals to simulate driving manual as my car is manual. Thanks in advance!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:08 PM   #7069
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I'm not sure if it's worth posting in here, but if this takes off, I'll create a new thread.

So the track season is coming to an end and my (now) wife actually expressed interest in participating next season. More so, I'd like to hone my skills throughout the fall and winter in preparation for next year. I managed to get promoted into a faster run group but still under the guidance of an instructor.

I'm looking to see if any of you guys have built any racing simulators and if so, if you can offer any advice on set up, gear, equipment, pit falls, and lessons learned. For now, I don't even know where to start and at the moment, no particular budget in mind.

Some of you noticed that I wanted a PS5 for Gran Turismo but evidently, I haven't been able to find one at MSRP (I do not want to pay over MSRP.) I'm also looking to see if there is a simulator or game/setup that will enable three pedals to simulate driving manual as my car is manual. Thanks in advance!
It sounds like you're going to take this a bit more seriously so I'd probably skip one of the entry wheels like the Logitech G29 or the Thrustmaster T428. If you just want to start getting some laps in thought this definitely wouldn't hurt as it's on sale atm for $299CAD due to prime deals.

There's a few things to consider when figuring out a sim rig and I think the main one is whether or not you're going to be sticking to a console or PC. With a console you're limited to just a few games that aren't necessarily as good as the options that you'll get on PC.

I only use my PC for sim racing so that's the only experience I have so far. A few of the games that you could play on PC are
Asseto Corsa (the mods on this are crazy and you can basically drive anything you want) it's an old game but the modding community is still pretty active. This goes on sale for about $5 or so or $20 with all of the DLC.
Assetto Corsa Competizione focuses on GT3/GT4 looks amazing and the force feedback is top notch
iRacing probably the best in terms of actually racing against other people, very realistic in terms of all of the cars and tracks. the worst payment model ever, it's subscription based $10USD/mo. Rookie license content is free both tracks and cars but once you advanced each car is $12 and each track is $15. It's hard to find the kind of racing you get on iRacing elsewhere though. Lots of different series' you can focus on whether it's oval or road. But yea the payment model sucks.

I've also played a little bit of F1 but I've been focusing a lot of my time on iRacing.

There's also a few others that are supposed to be pretty good but I haven't played any of them: Automobilista 2, rFactor 2, Dirt Rally 2.0, and RaceRoom.

Gear

Pedals
I think the pedals are probably the most important when it comes to your setup. You gain the most time with a good set of pedals that you don't really get with anything else. I feel like the rest of the gear is more for immersion up to a point. The detail you get with a direct drive wheelbase definitley helps but i don't think it'll save you the most time.

The pedals you usually get with a bundle aren't going to be the greatest they use a potentiometer and that measures the distance that you press the pedals rather than the pressure that you apply. It's. harder to be as consistent with these. You can buy load cell upgrades for some of these like the Logitech G29 pedals.

Load cells measure the pressure that you apply on the pedals and is a lot closer to what you'd get in a real car. It's more realistic and you can be a lot more precise than the potentiometer. The biggest downside with these are the price imo but they are well worth it. I don't really keep too up to date with pedals since I've been really happy with mine but a few options are:

Heusinkveld Sprints $559 USD for 3 pedal set https://heusinkveld.com/shop/sim-ped...pedals-sprint/
VRS Pedals - $649 for throttle and brake, $249 for the clutch https://virtualracingschool.appspot.com/#/Store

There's a step above load cell and that's hydraulic pedals. I did not do any research when it came to this as it's way out of my budget and Heusinkveld said that they would recommend the sprints rather than their ultimates if you're just doing it in the sim.

Wheelbases
There's 3 different kinds of wheel bases you can get and they all offer a different level of force feedback. Gear driven, belt drive, and then there's the direct drive wheel bases.

Gear driven uses a motor attached to gears for the force feedback these wheel bases are the Logitech G29. You don't get as much force out of them and it doesn't really feel that good at all. It feels a bit "notchy" since it's using gears and they get pretty loud. outputs around 2nm

Options: Logitech G29, G923, Thrustmaster T150

Belt driven uses a belt rather than gears, feels a bit smoother and it also outputs a bit more force than the gear driven wheelbases. It's a lot quieter as well.

Options: Thrustmaster T300 (around 4.5nm), Fanatec CSW 2.5 (8nm) / CSL Elites (4nm) (might have to get these used now)

Direct Drive is when you're attached right to the motor, these output the most amount of torque and can give the finest details. It's actually really amazing how it feels when you're driving you really get a sense what you're driving on, when you're losing grip etc. You feel all of the little bumps, when the road changes.

These days there's quite a bit of options when you're looking for a direct drive wheel base. They used to only come in 15-20nm but there are more budget friendly options these days and they come in about 5.5nm-10nm. I think with force feed back, it's not necessarily how strong it is but rather how much detail you can feel. I have a 20nm wheel base and I only run it at about 8-10nm and it's more than enough for what I drive (GT3s on iRacing and some open wheelers).

For the more budget friendly options there are
Moza Racing, Simagic, and the Fanatec CSL DD

https://mozaracing.com/
Moza R5 Bundle (5nm) - $599USD comes with pedals and wheel as well
Moza R9 (9nm) - $439USD no wheel +$279min

https://simracingpros.com/ (these guys are local i think)
Simagic Alpha Mini (10nm) - $505USD no wheel +400min for a wheel

https://fanatec.com/us-en/racing-whe...ls/csl-dd-8-nm
Fanatec CSL DD (8nm) - $499.95USD (shipping / duties suck from fanatec)

The good thing about these wheel bases are that the wheels are relatively cheap for what you get. They're locked in to the wheelbase that you get though. There are some adapters you might be able to get but I think the wheels are pretty nice. These weren't available to me at the time so I went with a different option.

For stronger wheel bases there is:

VRS Direct Force Pro (20nm) $799 USD https://virtualracingschool.appspot.com/#/Store
Fanatec DD1 (20nm) $1,199USD /DD2 $1499USD (25nm) https://fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/
Simucube 2 Sport (17nm) $1899CAD, Pro (25nm) $2,099CAD, Ultimate (32nm) $4,349CAD https://www.advancedsimracing.com/collections/simucube

You have a lot more options for wheels but that also comes in at a higher price (or cheaper if you want to go budget and get 3D printed wheels). You'll need to get a quick release etc for them if you want to use different wheels.

One thing to note about the Simucube is that they have a proprietary wireless system and some wheels work without needing usb.

Fanatec you can use the wheels that they have but if you want to use a different wheel you'll need to buy a podium adapter which is another $200 or so.

Some wheel manufactures:
https://gomezsimindustries.com/
https://www.cubecontrols.com/
https://ascher-racing.com/int/
https://www.turnracing.com/
https://simline.eu/en_US/c/Complete-wheels/4
https://www.simracingbay.com/
https://simcore.com.au/
https://www.simracingcoach.com/en/

Rig

With the lower forcefeedback options you can either get a wheel stand or just mount it directly to your desk. There's a few options on amazon for about $150 or so that you can even fold up.

once you get to the higher forcefeedback (5++) i'd really recommend getting it off your desk. When I was using my CSW1.0 even though it was just 4nm it would shake my desk and i was scared my monitors would fall over lol.

If you want an aluminum rig I highly recommend AdvancedSimRacing, they're a canadian company and they offer a varienty of options

ASR3 (i have this) rated for 5-10nm $649CAD
ASR4 (10-20nm) $949CAD
ASR6 (20nm++) and motion $1,199CAD

My only regret with the ASR3 is that I wish I went for the ASR4/ASR6 just to futureproof myself even more. I've been thinking of getting a triple monitor setup and they have an advanced integrated mount that they say only supports triples on the ASR4/6. I'm sure the ASR3 could handle it but I don't want to risk it lol.

A few other options:
https://www.6sigmasimracing.ca/ these guys are also canadian and they are in line with ASR in terms of pricing
https://sim-lab.eu/ really great rigs but just too expensive after conversion and shipping
https://www.gtomega.ca/products/prime-cockpit
https://nextlevelracing.com/

Monitors
I'd recommend either an ultrawide or a triple monitor setup. I've used a single 27" and it was doable but after going to an ultrawide I don't think i could ever go back to a single 27". If you want just 1 monitor a 49" looks amazing but triple 27 or 32 gives you the most immersion.

If you're ok with VR that gives you the best immersion. I can't do it since my headset resolution isn't the greatest and i still get a bit motion sick.

For me I started with a Logitech g29 attached to my desk, then a csw1.0 with csl elite lc pedals attached to a wheel stand, and now to my rig.

My rig is:
ASR3
VRS DFP
Cube Controls Formula Pro (open wheel racing f1 games)
TurnRacing BP2 + R305 and a 320mm D shaped rim (will be using this for GT3 racing when it gets here)
Sparco 320mm round wheel for drifting in asseto corsa
Heusinkveld Sprints
Alienware AW3821DW (i use this for work and sim racing)

I think seeing the wheels available now for Moza and Simagic I might have consider getting one of these instead of the VRS and the cube controls. It's way cheaper and they even have formula 1 styled wheels with screens built in for $600USD in comparison the GSI wheel is $1250USD and the new Cube Controls CX3 is $1500USD.

Hope this helps and feel free to pm if you have any other questions!

Here's my video on the ASR3 rig
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:15 AM   #7070
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
So it seems like my PC is finally about to kick the bucket after 10 years. It is a pretty bad time for it to go down mostly because I don't have the time to do the proper research into a decent replacement machine, but I suspect the ongoing semiconductor shortage isn't gonna do me any favours in terms of cost and choice.

Based on some very crude research, the following is what I have in mind for now:

CPU:
Ryzen™ 5 5600G, or
Ryzen™ 5 4600G

Mobo:
Asus PRIME B550M-A/CSM

32 GB RAM
1TB M.2 SSD
PSU

In addition to regular office productivity, web surfing, streaming D+ / Netflix, I also do quite a bit of photo editing. I don't really see myself having the time to do any gaming anymore, but if Diablo 4 ever makes it to the market, it would be nice if the PC can handle it. (But I am obviously not willing to pay for "something nice to have".

Are the choices above poor in any way? Is the price-performance difference between the 2 above CPUs significant enough to go one way or another given my intended usage? I have a preference for Asus mobos because they have generally proven to be far more reliable than Gigabyte and MSI in the past (for me). I would have preferred to have a WiFi-capable model for the motherboard, but apparently that option is out of stock right now.

I'd also appreciate recommendations on what RAM, SSD (or OS+programs), and PSU to get/avoid. The goal would be reliability and not out-right performance. As always, price would also be a consideration.

In the ideal world, I'd love to pick up all the parts and build the PC myself. But again, time is probably not a luxury I'd have this time around, plus the store can probably do a much cleaner wiring job than I would anyway LOL~
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:54 AM   #7071
Say! Say! Say!

Definitely go with the 5600G, it's significantly faster in single threaded performance since it's based on Zen 3.

I imagine D4 would probably run at lowest settings at 1080p with the resolution scale set lower to maintain a steady 60fps. If you don't care, you could probably lock it to 30fps and run it that way as well.

Any standard DDR4 RAM would be fine for your purpose. Ryzen prefers faster clocked RAM, so I'd probably try to get 3600MHz if possible, but the difference will not be significant for your use case.

I prefer the Seasonic Focus Plus series or Corsair RMx series of PSUs, but I think if I was building an APU-based system, I'd get a mITX board with something like the Inwin Chopin.

Some example builds here with the Chopin - https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/7zfmP6#c=1448

If noise is a concern, you can get a different CPU cooler and the 200W Pro version off Newegg. Stock AMD cooler will fit, just need to remove the shroud.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2022, 12:49 PM   #7072
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Thank you, Razor Ramon HG! That is exactly what I need to know!
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 05:52 AM   #7073
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Thank you, Razor Ramon HG! That is exactly what I need to know!
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/cana...pping-2570406/

Not sure if you've seen this thread, but take a look there.

Looks like you can get a 5600G + B450 motherboard for around $230 + tax. Then you can sell the Uncharted code for a bit of cash on eBay or reddit (there's a few subreddits for game swaps).
Old 10-22-2022, 05:41 PM   #7074

what do you think the prices of 4080 rtx is gonna be? 1.6k?

thinking of purchasing of it.

also 3800x3d seems to be hanging with the big guys without the expensive DDR5 memory., for sure on my list since all i gotta do is drop it in and be okay with current motherboard.. ez peasy.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:51 PM   #7075

Is spending $800 plus more for a 4080 over a used 3090 worth it?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1-59d76ecff9f8