REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Lost my car keys (02' Civic SiR) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/654927-lost-my-car-keys-02-civic-sir.html)

epicbeardman 10-05-2011 06:02 PM

Lost my car keys (02' Civic SiR)

I only had one set of keys, and I lost them today. Luckily my car was parked in my building's garage so it's safe. I called Open Road Honda and they told me that they have a key in stock which will cost about 59$, but the immobilizer will have to be reprogrammed (something like 80$) and I have to bring my car over there. So I have to hire a tow truck..since I don't have Roadside Assistance in my insurance. That will probably cost around 100$. So I am looking at over 200$ to drive my car again. Is there a cheaper alternative? I think I lost my car keeps on a bus, but it could be one of several, or worse, lost them on the street. I am going to call translink tomorrow, but I am quite cynical about this. Anyone know a good place that will cut/reprogram keys for cars with an immobilizer , preferably mobile? Thnx.

shelby zed 10-05-2011 06:21 PM

Call the bus company and see if someone turned them in. Worth a try?
Posted via RS Mobile

blacK20 10-05-2011 06:24 PM

There is no cheap way out. With NO keys at all, your only option is to have the dealer program you a new key. If you have one key and just want to add an additional key then that is a different story.

0nline 10-05-2011 06:27 PM

$200 bucks??? that is cheap. German car are over $300(just for a key) if you lose one.

shenmecar 10-05-2011 06:30 PM

my friend lost the keys to his acura and the dealer only needed his insurance papers to prove that the car was his.

you can call the dealer again and ask if this will suffice? they really only need to see the serial number and the proof that the car is yours.

mmmk 10-05-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 7602837)
my friend lost the keys to his acura and the dealer only needed his insurance papers to prove that the car was his.

you can call the dealer again and ask if this will suffice? they really only need to see the serial number and the proof that the car is yours.

They need to program the fob. The car needs to be there.

blacK20 10-05-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 7602837)

He is not having trouble proving ownership of the car. Seems like he is trying to find a cheaper way out. Money is the issue right now.

Vspeed 10-05-2011 08:07 PM

You can try these guys, but it'll probably run you the same price

Behr Automotive Locksmith Vancouver / Lower Mainland / Fraser Valley

melloman 10-06-2011 08:10 AM

Ya man.. $200 is cheap.
It's around $165 just to re-program a key at Audi.. (Key cut and fob is like around $200.. LOLZ)

TypeRNammer 10-06-2011 08:15 AM

If you know someone with a Bcaa membership, you can save money on the tow.
Posted via RS Mobile

jaemc 10-06-2011 08:41 AM

If you like you can bring your car here to Burrard Acura. I can give you a discount on getting the key cut and regarding the programming I can do cheaper than $80 for sure.

Supafly 10-06-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0nline (Post 7602830)
$200 bucks??? that is cheap. German car are over $300(just for a key) if you lose one.

yeah..my fob costs 368.....and an assload of paperwork + a wait time of 3-4 days...Keys are pre-programmed from germany.

SpartanAir 10-06-2011 09:12 AM

Ya man, $200 all said and done is VERY cheap. Be lucky you don't have a special fob, special anti-theft system, you don't have to re-key your door locks or ignition etc...

Do yourself a favour and pay $80 for BCAA and cover yourself for towing. Well worth it.

epicbeardman 10-06-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaemc (Post 7603568)
If you like you can bring your car here to Burrard Acura. I can give you a discount on getting the key cut and regarding the programming I can do cheaper than $80 for sure.

I'd totally take you up on that offer, but unfortunately I live in New West and the towing fee to Burrard would be HUGE.