REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Buying 2 Year Old Audi from Ontario... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/655663-buying-2-year-old-audi-ontario.html)

parm104 10-17-2011 12:18 AM

/closed

/closed

TOPEC 10-17-2011 01:46 AM

whats so rare about this audi that u must have it?
is it the 3.2L V6? cause imo its not as good as the 2.0T

hirevtuner 10-17-2011 04:18 AM

I don't think it should be too much of a problem since it is only 2 yrs old. I bought 2003 Lexus in 2005, and it was from Ontario, still have it now, no problems what so ever, i would advise that if applicable buy the extended warranty since its a german car.
Posted via RS Mobile

parm104 10-17-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOPEC (Post 7617332)
whats so rare about this audi that u must have it?
is it the 3.2L V6? cause imo its not as good as the 2.0T

3.2L, Audi Drive Select, Bang and Oulson and Nav are all included. That is really rare to find. The 3.2L feels much better than the 2.0L and the difference in fuel consumption is not that much.

hchang 10-17-2011 10:35 AM

Get it checked by bcaa.

It only costs like a hundred bucks and it'll give you a better peace of mind since they're not biased.

Better to play it safe than be sorry later
Posted via RS Mobile

k3mps 10-17-2011 06:03 PM

Typically one of the top things you look for in a car from Ontario, especially somewhere like Toronto, is rust.
But since this is a pretty new car...I'd still maybe look for scratches or places where rust may occur in the future?

tofu1413 10-17-2011 06:04 PM

look for rust. and for sure those east coast cars would have a pretty salty undercarrage.

heck i seen a 05 bmw x3 from ontario with rust...

look at the spare tire compartment, jams, edges, where ever there is metal that isnt protected by undercoat. probably surface at most.

optiblue 10-17-2011 07:04 PM

just get it inspected, it's only 2 years old... should be fine.

Phil@rise 10-17-2011 07:06 PM

Once you get it here have it properly detailed and pressure washed underneath to clean out all the sand and salt that will lead to premature rust

jpark 10-17-2011 07:32 PM

get a body inspection done by a reputable bodyshop perhaps?

Harvey Specter 10-17-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofu1413 (Post 7618058)
look for rust. and for sure those east coast cars would have a pretty salty undercarrage.

heck i seen a 05 bmw x3 from ontario with rust...

look at the spare tire compartment, jams, edges, where ever there is metal that isnt protected by undercoat. probably surface at most.

+1.

Rust is a huge problem with cars from the east coast. I go out to Toronto every month for work and I've seen brand new cars with rust, hell almost all the rentals I've driven have rust and most of the cars are a few months old. Also check the suspension, the roads are awful back east especially some of the highways which have massive potholes.

parm104 10-17-2011 08:39 PM

Anyone recommend a body shop that I can take the vehicle to? I was going to have PG Performance to take a look at the vehicle for me. Like I said, I'm getting a 153 point safety and mechanical inspection done on the vehicle by Open Road Audi. If it passes their inspection, then it will be certified by them.

Eff-1 10-17-2011 09:15 PM

A two year old car shouldn't have many rust issues but I would follow the advice given above. Other than that, you should be good to go.

Just keep in mind is because it's an out-of-province car, you'll take a hit on resale if you ever have to sell the car. So make sure the purchase price reflects that.

jackmeister 10-17-2011 09:25 PM

Not too sure if you're worried about the car itself, or the fact that its from ontario?

I can chime in on the first part, I had the exact same car (w/o Nav) and it was in the first batch that was available in the lower mainland. The car itself is fantastic, has a good balance between a BMW and a Mercedes in terms of handling and speed (Drive Select made a big difference). The interior was the die for, all the seats were comfortable like a nice sofa at home. Slap on some winter tires and you're good for the winter!

The only thing I disliked was the on-board computer on the dashboard as it was not very user friendly (not talking about MMI)

I was sad to let it go...

maxx 10-17-2011 09:30 PM

CPO certification is more than enough. just keep in mind the resale value of the car when you sell it later on.

the 6 will eat gas, 2.0t is a lot more fuel efficient. the difference is significant. there's a reason why they pulled all the 6s from the audi lineup, cept the q5. and 2.0t has more torque at lower end.

tofu1413 10-17-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 7618263)
Anyone recommend a body shop that I can take the vehicle to? I was going to have PG Performance to take a look at the vehicle for me. Like I said, I'm getting a 153 point safety and mechanical inspection done on the vehicle by Open Road Audi. If it passes their inspection, then it will be certified by them.

pretty sure the car would be a good buy considering they do pick out the better ones to certify. (i work right next door @ jessel and work for used car dept)

they would factor in mileage and history of vehicle before certifying. yes, they occassionally certify out of province cars and even certify cars with 80k kms as long as they are clean, spot free units.

dont let a 5-8k collision scare you. its a common figure for those premium euro cars.. a stupid HID headlamp unit with autoleveling is around 2500 msrp @ bmw alone for a standard 3 series... :yuno: its best to find out the nature of the accident on the car, but all cars ive seen so far certified @ BMW, has not had frame damage at all previously.

oh yeah, glass claims, vandalisms..... they go over the 1k mark easily too... :fuckthatshit:

certified pre owns aint bad. units that do come get their services done before put on the lot for sale (whatever the car needed.. like brakes, tires, hoses, windshield) and would have some light reconditioning work (dents, scratches, curbs)

smarter choice, if its the same as the current body style... I mean, once you sign papers away to a new car... you basically lose 5k-10k of its value once you recieve ownership of your new car.

Gridlock 10-18-2011 08:27 AM

I grew up in NS, and between the fact that we were not a commuter province, and rust, I NEVER heard of cars hitting 200,000 kms or rebuilt engines in so many used cars.

When I first came out here and was looking for a car, it kept affecting my judgement when I'd look at the odometer and see 250xxx and a rebuilt engine.

skylinergtr 10-18-2011 10:28 AM

depends on how the vehicle was driven.

audis are not as bad considering they use A LOT of aluminum, especially on the body panels.

3.2L>2.0T in terms of peformance, maintenance, and reliability.

My only concern is... its an AUDI. its gonna be stupid and costly.

taylor192 10-18-2011 01:22 PM

Was the vehicle rust proofed?

I know the GVA doesn't get a lot of snow, yet the rest of BC does. Thus unless you know the vehicle was from within the GVA, even a BC vehicle could have a lot of salt exposure.

maxx 10-18-2011 09:27 PM

vehicle is rustproofed from the factory.

Cman333 10-18-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxx (Post 7619907)
vehicle is rustproofed from the factory.

You can't really rust proof a vehicle.

Undercoated which means the underside. Undercoating does comes off sometimes and a tiny exposed part can be prone to rust.

Unless they coated the whole car, every panel inside and out, coated before the assembly and after. Even still, I wouldn't say rust proof.

tofu1413 10-18-2011 09:51 PM

pretty sure modern cars are zinc coated when coming off the assembly line nowadays. dipped in this kind of solution before acutal paint and primer is applied

parm104 10-18-2011 09:57 PM

Thanks for your help