REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   BC is #1 again! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/655753-bc-1-again.html)

drunkrussian 10-18-2011 04:30 PM

fucking skytrain
Posted via RS Mobile

wstce92 10-18-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil (Post 7619241)
waiting for bubble to burst......................not gonna happen in my life time :troll:

Should be soon, hold in there! If not burst, there should be a dip or some dips before the burst.

ShadowBun 10-18-2011 05:06 PM

its gonna dip real soon but nothing major

Tegra_Devil 10-18-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wstce92 (Post 7619291)
Should be soon, hold in there! If not burst, there should be a dip or some dips before the burst.

i frickin hope so, i wanna buy a condo asap

Durrann 10-18-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dachinesedude (Post 7618985)
inb4 vancouver is such a beautiful city, our trees, ours mountains, our beaches, our 2month summer, our mild wet weather

how do u enjoy this city if you cant even afford to live in this city

dont forget vancouver has beautiful girls

but theys expensive as well (to date) :alone:

iEatClams 10-18-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil (Post 7619324)
i frickin hope so, i wanna buy a condo asap

I think a lot of people have your type of thinking.

There are many people in Metro Vancouver who do not have enough money to buy a Single Family dwelling and instead can only afford a condo.

The only problem is many of these people are paying 50% of their gross income towards rent or mortgages and essentially have no room for savings.

A large proportion of people have no money in their RRSP or savings.

If you talk to anyone that doesn't have any help from wealthier parents, this is basically the case, they live paycheck to paycheck.

People that are paying their mortgages on dual income are screwed if the spouse loses their job, or if interest rates ever go up (although personally I think it will be low for the foreseeable future)

hk20000 10-18-2011 07:18 PM

It's ok to grow up in condos....what makes you think it's such a bad thing? You never have to worry about maintenance or cutting the grass or shits like that....

I'd like to live in a condo even if I somehow win the lottery and be able to afford a detached...

q0192837465 10-18-2011 07:31 PM

^but strata fee is expensive too. Wait until there are some leakage and prepare to get ur ass raped

iEatClams 10-18-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hk20000 (Post 7619584)
It's ok to grow up in condos....what makes you think it's such a bad thing? You never have to worry about maintenance or cutting the grass or shits like that....

I'd like to live in a condo even if I somehow win the lottery and be able to afford a detached...

I never said it isn't okay to live in condos, I just dont think its a good idea if you are buying "just to get in" where you pay 50% + of your income to pay your mortgage.

Or people that pay 50% + of their income on rent just so they can live downtown or in a "hip" neighbourhood.

Tegra_Devil 10-18-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azndude69 (Post 7619435)
I think a lot of people have your type of thinking.

There are many people in Metro Vancouver who do not have enough money to buy a Single Family dwelling and instead can only afford a condo.

The only problem is many of these people are paying 50% of their gross income towards rent or mortgages and essentially have no room for savings.

A large proportion of people have no money in their RRSP or savings.

If you talk to anyone that doesn't have any help from wealthier parents, this is basically the case, they live paycheck to paycheck.

People that are paying their mortgages on dual income are screwed if the spouse loses their job, or if interest rates ever go up (although personally I think it will be low for the foreseeable future)

i think you underestimate my financials ;)

optiblue 10-18-2011 08:08 PM

It's #1 in sucking unless you're a rich imigrant from China that can afford to street race down the 99 :troll:

iEatClams 10-18-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil (Post 7619673)
i think you underestimate my financials ;)

Just saying, I never meant it to be directed at you personally but good on ya.

Thinking of buying in burquitlam? lougheed town centre, north road/como lake-ish where the new skytrain will be.

maxxxboost 10-18-2011 09:06 PM

Yes, i agree that Vancouver is no longer affordable for a lot of people, but it is these rich people that also inject money into our society. I can't blame them for trying to improve their own lives, something attracts them to Vancouver so be glad we are still part of that.
It sucks that the only way to live around here is take over parents old place, make lots of money or move further out but i would much rather do that than live somewhere else.

dinosaur 10-18-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by q0192837465 (Post 7619619)
^but strata fee is expensive too. Wait until there are some leakage and prepare to get ur ass raped

Yeah, strata fees in condo buildings are INSANE!

My friend and I each bought a place a few blocks away from each other...he a condo, me a townhouse. My townhouse was 20k more than his condo and has a fee of $126/month. His? $380/month!!

An addition $254/month towards a mortgage is HUGE. He would basically be paying the same an additional 20k on his mortgage and eventually have a return on the investment. Paying a strata is like throwing money away (yes, i know... maintenance, lawns, gardens, blah blah blah), I think it is still a bit of a rip-off.

If you want to buy something sooner than later, I suggest waiting another year to afford a townhouse and avoid a high strata fee.

iEatClams 10-18-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 7619919)

My friend and I each bought a place a few blocks away from each other...he a condo, me a townhouse. My townhouse was 20k more than his condo and has a fee of $126/month. His? $380/month!!

An addition $254/month towards a mortgage is HUGE. He would basically be paying the same an additional 20k on his mortgage and eventually have a return on the investment. Paying a strata is like throwing money away (yes, i know... maintenance, lawns, gardens, blah blah blah), I think it is still a bit of a rip-off.

If you want to buy something sooner than later, I suggest waiting another year to afford a townhouse and avoid a high strata fee.

I agree, if any of these condos become leaky, the remediation costs on the building envelope will be huge. Hopefully all this new rainscreen technology will hold up.

Any of the older buildings can have leaky issues and if you dont have the funds, you're screwed. One advantage of living in a high-rise condo is you save on Heating costs compared to townhomes.

"Affordable" townhomes are now the stack style where it looks like a low-rise condo. Otherwise its easily 700K + for a typical newer townhome.

Lomac 10-18-2011 10:46 PM

While it's fun to bitch about housing costs in the Lower Mainland (and, sadly, it's usually valid), there are still tons of developments locally that are going for relatively cheap. Two apartment blocks just went up in Langley with units that start at $150,000. No, they're not particularly big places, but considering a comparable unit on the other side of the Fraser would go for at least twice the price, it's a good alternative. And it's not like these buildings are in sketchy parts of the city either.

wouwou 10-18-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azndude69 (Post 7620031)
I agree, if any of these condos become leaky, the remediation costs on the building envelope will be huge. Hopefully all this new rainscreen technology will hold up.

Any of the older buildings can have leaky issues and if you dont have the funds, you're screwed. One advantage of living in a high-rise condo is you save on Heating costs compared to townhomes.

"Affordable" townhomes are now the stack style where it looks like a low-rise condo. Otherwise its easily 700K + for a typical newer townhome.

Townhouse in Deer Lake area is in the 500-600k area, and they are a lot better than the typical "newer" townhouse.

wouwou 10-18-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 7620049)
While it's fun to bitch about housing costs in the Lower Mainland (and, sadly, it's usually valid), there are still tons of developments locally that are going for relatively cheap. Two apartment blocks just went up in Langley with units that start at $150,000. No, they're not particularly big places, but considering a comparable unit on the other side of the Fraser would go for at least twice the price, it's a good alternative. And it's not like these buildings are in sketchy parts of the city either.

For families it's whether the parts of a city is sketchy, it's whether there's a decent school by.

Which is part of a big reason why Vancouver has a big lead in terms of property pricing.

maxxxboost 10-18-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 7619919)

It depends what kind of amenities each place offers. If condo has a indoor pool, out door pool, gym and club house, of course it will be more expensive. Furthermore, the cost for the elevator maintenance is not cheap (assuming the condo has an elevator and the townhouse doesn't). Many of these features are not featured in a townhouse.

But i agree, Its like throwing away money. But it is a lifestyle your buddy likes i suppose.

Lomac 10-18-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wouwou (Post 7620055)
For families it's whether the parts of a city is sketchy, it's whether there's a decent school by.

Which is part of a big reason why Vancouver has a big lead in terms of property pricing.

You can't throw a rock in Langley without hitting a school of some sort (or a church... or park... or a Starbucks... lol).

Langley can still be insanely pricey (a development by my place has plots of land that start at $3/4 million for a 1/3 acre), but thankfully there are cheap alternatives for young families.

b0unce. [?] 10-19-2011 12:58 AM

i doubt i'll ever be able to fully pay off a house considering the prices of housing is so high and only going higher.

penner2k 10-19-2011 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durrann (Post 7619325)
dont forget vancouver has beautiful girls

but theys expensive as well (to date) :alone:

Calgary has better looking girls and they are friendlier and usually make their own money.

You also have dudes in Calgary that are under 30 that own their house, have a nice truck, and a couple quads and snow mobiles.
You are also only an hour away from Banff and 3 hours away from golden for all your winter wonderland needs.

scottsman 10-19-2011 04:57 AM

It is comical when people or families complain about money and they have two or three kids and are still in debt from school or say they cannot afford groceries. What ever happened to being responsible with life decisions?

FerrariEnzo 10-19-2011 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !Yaminashi (Post 7618944)
Soon it'll cost too much to live in a cardboard box

the cardboard box will be cheap, its the land value thats going kill you... going to have to rent per square feet...

If you dont have a good job from before, its hard to get a good job now... so people living paycheck to paycheck are screwed, regardless...
sux for people who has 2 jobs, get dinged on tax day

Z3guy 10-19-2011 06:44 AM

you can either bitch about how expensive it is to live in Vancouver (you are right) or just accept Van is a crazy expensive city, like NY or SF and figure out a way to make it work for you and your family.