REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Shaw or Telus TV?

give me your opinions on each and which you'd go for

would be shaw HD at a minimun, and Optik TV with some HD channels i guess

with shaw i'd get the HDPVR as well
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Both systems are a work in progress with bugs and glitches on each side. I'm assuming you're comparing the new Gateway system to Optik TV.

I would choose neither. Instead, stick to a Motorola PVR on Shaw.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #3

no wasn't going to get the Gateway system, just the HD tv and the PVR with Shaw
Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Depends on what you want form it. Telus has limitations of how many boxes/streams you can support. I remember when I first looked at it Telus only supported 2 HD streams or 1 HD and 2 SD streams. Thus if I wanted to watch a HD show, PVR a HD show, my roommate couldn't watch TV his bedroom. Find out the limitations of Telus in your area. AFAIK Telus offers different bandwidths in different areas, so YMMV.

I went with Shaw cause I got a smoking deal on an HD PVR and NFL Sunday Ticket. I do prefer the interface on the Telus boxes, the Shaw Motorola PVR is the same old crappy Shaw menu system.

I have Telus internet (cheaper than Shaw internet bundled) and have never had problems with Shaw, yet have issues with Telus a couple times a year.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Shaw...if you don't care about their lack of customer service and horrific wait times for technical support. I don't require tech. support that often, my picture is mostly top notch and sound to match...

On the odd occasion my hardware doesn't perform the way it should, I call and have to wait in line for HOURS to get a hold of someone. Apart from that, Shaw is better than Telus. (Gateway blows though.)
Old 11-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

I just switched from Shaw to telus. I like the UI more then Shaw's. I also like that you can keep recording after a show ends while Shaw's box doesn't have that feature. Some shows go on a bit longer then their scheduled run time. Also having more HD channels then Shaw is nice. I don't like that we have to use telus's all in one modem-router-tv modem. But having a cheaper monthly bill is nice and a laptop.. Havent used the internet yet, but will be comparing speeds
Posted via RS Mobile
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Bell more hd channels new channels come out on Bell first shaw doesnt get em for like a year or so later for example SPACE HD / Much HD (been on Shaw for months) the chinese movie channels etc were on Bell for like a year before Shaw got em etc etc edit: havent compared to optiktv just did a quick glance and optik looks better than shaw for tv too only 3 tvs can watch separate HD feeds though if that matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5-S View Post
I also like that you can keep recording after a show ends while Shaw's box doesn't have that feature.
it does you have to go back into the "record" function and "modify settings for this program only"

i would go Bell but its not in our area (in ridge) apparently

Last edited by StylinRed; 11-04-2011 at 11:29 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5-S View Post
I also like that you can keep recording after a show ends while Shaw's box doesn't have that feature.
You can do that on shaw when you set it up to record a series. You set how many minutes you'd like it to record beyond the time.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
I don't know if internet factors into your decision making at all, but having lived in 8 places in the last 10 years, I would say Shaw internet is head and shoulders about telus.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
This title intentionally left blank MOD

I had Shaw for years, TV/Internet. Been on Telus Optik for the last year.

Service wise, in my area I get 1HD + 2SD feeds. Internet speeds of 14mbps/.85mbps

Telus' UI is miles ahead of Shaw's. The ability to remote record from any PC or Android/Blackberry/iPhone is fantastic.

Telus does offer more HD channels than Shaw. That, and their time-shifting actually works better, I find.

I haven't had a single day of downtime for internet or TV with Telus, or a service outage in the entire year I've been with them. Shaw, I'd have service outages every couple of months, lasting anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours.

Telus' internet speed has also been far more consistent. It doesn't drop under 12mbps on me, while Shaw would fluctuate wildly between 2mbps and 25mbps. There was zero consistency.

As far as pricing, after promotional pricing ends for either, I end up paying $14/mo less for Telus compared to Shaw.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #11
RS controls my life!

telus blows... the more tv's you have on the slower your internet speed...
shaw gateway has the new ui and its much nicer. still a little glitchy here and there but the bugs are getting worked out. can record 6 shows at once. bundled with broadband 50 and telus can't even compete.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #12

great, thanks for the comments guys

i'll add more info, at the most the house will have (1 TV watching HD and 1 internet), i have a suite downstairs that will get wireless (or if i can plug in) internet and regular TV

i've always had shaw internet and have never had any major issues so i'm tentative so switch to telus but my work has always had telus and it's always been fine
Old 11-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
Need my Daily Fix of RS

The most beneficial thing about Telus TV/internet combo is they effectively have unlimited downloading since both their TV and internet run off the same connection, they can't differentiate between the two types of traffic. Since you obviously don't get charged extra for watching TV too much, it means that your internet traffic goes unchecked and unmetered.
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
RS controls my life!

Switched from Shaw to Telus and never looked back. I have the 3HD/1SD feed with 25Mbps internet. Like everyone said UI on Telus is great! I do get more HD channels, but there's no HD Net, so it evens out. The best part with Telus is that I don't have to wait 4 hours to reach a customer service rep. Shaw has ridiculous wait times at the call centre. Telus is usually about 5-10mins. Hardware is free, you have to wait for promos, got 2 Telus box free at Futureshop and London Drugs, where you buy a tv, they'll throw in a box for free.
bubba_g is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #15
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

ota and boxee box...good price but you'll have to stream canuck games
Old 11-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

if i lived on my own, i wouldnt even have cable. just shaw broadband 100. download and stream everythanggggg
Teh Doucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
shaw is more straight forward channels.. one after another
Telus is fucking annoying channel from 20 to like 300 depending on what categories you bought, i havent figured out how to just go from channel to channel yet its been a year fuck
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #18
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
The most beneficial thing about Telus TV/internet combo is they effectively have unlimited downloading since both their TV and internet run off the same connection, they can't differentiate between the two types of traffic. Since you obviously don't get charged extra for watching TV too much, it means that your internet traffic goes unchecked and unmetered.
I don't believe this to be true.

Does Telus know the actual amount of Internet - Telus | DSLReports Forums

It would be a tremendous oversight for any large organization to not track what types of traffic is moving across it's network. Telus, being a telecommunications giant, is even less likely to do this.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
ota and boxee box...good price but you'll have to stream canuck games
is boxee's content up to date? ie do you get the show the same night it's on tv?

what's the cost? not for the boxee but for the TV shows etc...
Old 11-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #20
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Perfect timing for this thread. My promo pricing with Shaw ends the 30th and will go up to $205/mo

Telus offering decent freebies with 3 year term..

Guess I'll call Telus and see what their pricing is like for an apples to apples package and make a decision.

Posted via RS Mobile
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #21
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I went with telus last month.... Free decent laptop.... Tv quality is good.. Internet is fast.... I went with telus because the package I got was better then shaw... I save about 25$ a month in comparison. So far no issues with connectivity
Posted via RS Mobile
civic_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #22
I AM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 294 Posts
i think they are giving away samsung galaxy tabs now when you sign up
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I switched to telus because of a cheap deal after being with shaw for many years and I truly regret it. I have 3 TVs and when the TVs are on and I'm gaming, it lags so bad. It's just stupid because they assured me it wouldn't and it does. I'm also not used to the different channels but that's just a personal thing lol
Drizzt Do'Urden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #24
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Shaw... doesnt have a contract..

doesn't Belus have a contract when you sign up, so that you get "FREE" stuff??
Old 11-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #25
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Yup.... But the way I look at it I'll always need tv and Internet
Posted via RS Mobile
civic_rice is offline   Reply With Quote