REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   PBR/Axxis Ultimate Ceramic (https://www.revscene.net/forums/656975-pbr-axxis-ultimate-ceramic.html)

roastpuff 11-05-2011 08:52 AM

PBR/Axxis Ultimate Ceramic

Hi guys, I am looking into getting a package with these pads and Zimmerman rotors, does anyone have any impressions of them? Compared to HPS/HP+?

Thanks!

Expresso 11-05-2011 09:13 AM

My first set of pads were Ultimates so no comparisons, but they dust a fair amount so be prepared for that. I would put them closer to a street pad though so probably HPS.

bcrdukes 11-05-2011 10:42 AM

Had them on my MR2 and yeah, they dust a lot. They're not bad for a street pad.

narfy 11-05-2011 11:30 AM

i had them on my old AE92 corolla GTS.. yes, they dust a lot, but god damn do they stop... even when they're really hot... fade recovery is quick, unlike hawk HPS... but they're not noisy like the hawk HP+

Hustler604 11-05-2011 01:03 PM

had hps and hp+ on my stoptech bbk, hps didnt have the intial bite i wanted, but are quite and dont have much brake dust.

hp+ bite like a pissed off rattlesnake, but be warned, they are loud as a freight train (at least mine are). brake dust is excessive, but i was my rims weekly so that doesnt matter

most important, make sure you use the proper brake in procedure (please dont ask me to explain, USE SEARCH!!)

goodluck!

kroy546 11-05-2011 11:34 PM

had stock and hp+ on ITR

ultimates was one of the options, but went with hawk due to popularity and all the hype

my 0.02: stock is the best in terms of cost and street drivebility, brake dust is a bitch from hp+

roastpuff 11-06-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hustler604 (Post 7677618)
had hps and hp+ on my stoptech bbk, hps didnt have the intial bite i wanted, but are quite and dont have much brake dust.

hp+ bite like a pissed off rattlesnake, but be warned, they are loud as a freight train (at least mine are). brake dust is excessive, but i was my rims weekly so that doesnt matter

most important, make sure you use the proper brake in procedure (please dont ask me to explain, USE SEARCH!!)

goodluck!

Yeah, driven cars with HPS and HP+ before... HP+ stops really good (when heated up) but loud as heck, and dusty. And the dust is nasty from HP+ hehe. HPS feels pretty stock, I guess. I want the power of HP+ with the noise of HPS, hence the Ultimates...?

And yes, proper bedding in is crucial. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by kroy546 (Post 7678274)
had stock and hp+ on ITR

ultimates was one of the options, but went with hawk due to popularity and all the hype

my 0.02: stock is the best in terms of cost and street drivebility, brake dust is a bitch from hp+

I'm getting a set of pads + rotors for a stupid good deal, which is why I wanted to check about the pads before getting them.

Would you say the Hawk pads meet the hype?

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

kroy546 11-06-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 7678828)
Yeah, driven cars with HPS and HP+ before... HP+ stops really good (when heated up) but loud as heck, and dusty. And the dust is nasty from HP+ hehe. HPS feels pretty stock, I guess. I want the power of HP+ with the noise of HPS, hence the Ultimates...?

And yes, proper bedding in is crucial. :D

I'm getting a set of pads + rotors for a stupid good deal, which is why I wanted to check about the pads before getting them.

Would you say the Hawk pads meet the hype?

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

I would say hawk meets the hype to an extent, it grabs really good, but I don't like the late grab from the hp+ (kinds annoying for street imo) where the stock grabs fairly early and hard, coming from ITR stock pads and rotor --> hp+ and brembo slotted

Hustler604 11-06-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kroy546 (Post 7678961)
I would say hawk meets the hype to an extent, it grabs really good, but I don't like the late grab from the hp+ (kinds annoying for street imo) where the stock grabs fairly early and hard, coming from ITR stock pads and rotor --> hp+ and brembo slotted

Maybe it's just my setup with 6piston front and 4piston rear, but the hp+ have much sharper initial bite, not the late grab you've experienced. I found that happened with the hps.

I've always run hawk so I'm a true fan. Hp+ and powerslot/brembo rotors are a wicked street setup. Don't forget braided lines and high temp fluid!

narfy 11-06-2011 08:01 PM

porterfield R4S is much nicer than hawk HPS
porterfield R4 and hawk HP+ is more or less the same...

roastpuff 11-06-2011 08:17 PM

Porterfield price is also a lot more than Hawks/PBR/EBC... they are premium pads with premium price. :p

Death2Theft 11-06-2011 08:42 PM

My experience with pads has been to get one with low dust but great low temps stopping power. Save the dedicated full on hardcore track pad for track days. Unless you want to deal with squeaky brakes when your DDing.

bcrdukes 11-06-2011 11:09 PM

OP tracks his car, IIRC.

roastpuff 11-07-2011 12:29 PM

Occasional track use, yeah. More autocross than anything though. I don't mind brake dust so much, just the noise that gets to me.

AWDTurboLuvr 11-07-2011 02:15 PM

If you don't go to the track much, I would spring for a less aggressive pad for the street/auto-x duty. I used these on my A4 with the same rotors and they dust quite a lot, a bit of brake noise. After they were done I switched Porterfield R4-S pads for track duty and they were less dusty and not noisy at all on the street after I got home from Mission to swap them out for EBC greens for the street.

Mind you, the PBR's are quite cheap for the performance.

narfy 11-07-2011 08:08 PM

these pads are really good for autoX.. they take little to no time to warm up, and have great bite... my only pet peeve is that they're very dusty... but they're very quiet... i liked them very much when they were in my AE92 GTS...

hk20000 11-08-2011 06:44 AM

I track with them. All you need is a good wash of the rims the dust will be gone. Think about it this way, you can tell people how "european" your car is when it just smears brake dust all over the front wheels.

Shoei@BJAutohaus 11-08-2011 07:01 AM

if you are looking for less dust but decent performance, try akebono euro's. so far had a lot of success with bmw owners that switched from the stock textar pads.