REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Snowboarding Shell Pants + Base Layer= Warm Enough? + More (https://www.revscene.net/forums/657085-snowboarding-shell-pants-base-layer%3D-warm-enough-more.html)

jbsali 11-06-2011 08:09 PM

Snowboarding Shell Pants + Base Layer= Warm Enough? + More

I just bought a pair of Burton Pointer Pants. It's a mid fit: similar to loose jean fit and they are marketed as waterproof, 10000 breathability, 10000mm waterproof.

I'm mainly boarding in GVA so I'm wondering if these pants would be ok to wear all season long on the slopes. Ofcourse i know i would need a base layer. I'm looking into a Under Armour 3.0 Cold Gear.

Would this be enough for boarding all season? Would i need a mid-layer aswell?

I thought about buying the North Face Hy-Vent Freedom Insulated pants but i would have to get the leg cuffs shortened by 2". Just don't know if its worth it or not.

Thanks guys,

jbsali 11-07-2011 06:04 PM

bump!

sonick 11-08-2011 07:58 AM

I am fine with a warm base layer (Marks work warehouse brand) and my boarding shell pants.

Might get chilly if you're standing around and its windy or it's at night, but once you are moving it's fine in my experience.

jbsali 11-08-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 7681235)
I am fine with a warm base layer (Marks work warehouse brand) and my boarding shell pants.

Might get chilly if you're standing around and its windy or it's at night, but once you are moving it's fine in my experience.

thanks for the help!

6793026 11-08-2011 08:50 AM

this is always the case, just put layers on. at any time, i just unzip my inside jackets etc. i've been hot before but that sure beats being too cold at times sitting on the lifts

Vangruver 11-10-2011 08:20 PM

get yourself 2 set of these items

thin close to your body wicking base layer.

and

fleece pants

reasons? the wicking base layer will moisture out and away from your lower extremities, while the fleece will insulate you keeping warm air around the base layer.

fact, you can even wear flannel pyjama bottoms if you want to.

Best wicking base layers? running pants.

Culverin 11-10-2011 08:36 PM

Like Vangruver said, you probably need an extra layer in there...

1. base layer/wicking material. You can use nike running shorts with the underwear layer. I have some Helly Hansen lifa boxers and some long solomon 3/4 length ones that go down to my socks.

2. This is your insulating layer. If you have shell pants, then you need to go get yourself a pair of fleece pants. My pants are 3/4 insulated down to the shins. They are mildy insulated, perfect for our temperate west coast weather.

3. This is your shell layer. I have head-to-toe goretex, but that's really not that important. What you DO need is full seam taping. If it's not seam taped, get nicer gear. The downside of boarding on the west coast here is that our weather is barely above freezing, if it's not taped, melted snow and ice that collects at the seams turns into water. Once its starts, it keeps getting worse like a kitchen rag, that moisture just spreads. It gets into the cracks and all the insulation and wicking material in the world isn't going to keep you warm.

So if your pants are just shell pants, go look for some thin fleece pants, you won't need anything crazy unless you start going out on -20 and below days.

PJ 11-10-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangruver (Post 7684466)
get yourself 2 set of these items

thin close to your body wicking base layer.

and

fleece pants

reasons? the wicking base layer will moisture out and away from your lower extremities, while the fleece will insulate you keeping warm air around the base layer.

fact, you can even wear flannel pyjama bottoms if you want to.

Best wicking base layers? running pants.

^+1

Thats exactly what I do.

I wear the football/rugby underarmor underwear that goes down to about my knees to wick away moisture, pyjama pants for just the right insulation, and a Quiksilver shell for waterproof. This combo is the best that I've used. Trackpants/sweatpants under the shell gets way too hot.

But really, after about an hour or so of boarding, the only things that get cold are your ears and your face. Maybe your hands depending on your gloves.

Dammit, now I wanna board.

Vangruver 11-10-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7684492)
Like Vangruver said, you probably need an extra layer in there...

3. This is your shell layer. I have head-to-toe goretex, but that's really not that important. What you DO need is full seam taping. If it's not seam taped, get nicer gear. The downside of boarding on the west coast here is that our weather is barely above freezing, if it's not taped, melted snow and ice that collects at the seams turns into water. Once its starts, it keeps getting worse like a kitchen rag, that moisture just spreads. It gets into the cracks and all the insulation and wicking material in the world isn't going to keep you warm.

not true, you don't need full taped seams, you only need critically taped seams. full taped seams aren't necessary. Unless you plan on riding purely in the rain, and diving in puddles, critically taped seams are fine.

but then again, what do i know, i snowboard in jeans and a leather jacket ;)

Culverin 11-11-2011 02:36 AM

Yeah... I do end up riding through slush and puddles. I've had critically taped pants. Didn't like them, my butt got damp through the zipper parts and pockets.

I guess it doesn't matter if you go on only the really nice clear and cold days. But I assumed you'd be going in typical west coast weather which isn't that awesome.

Renxo 11-11-2011 03:11 AM

I usually just wear my snow pants and my boxers....it doesn't get cold if you don't sit around a ton.... Just board whistler/locals

Brianrietta 11-11-2011 03:48 AM

How much insulation somebody needs varies greatly from person to person. I'm a furnace when I start moving, so even down to -40 skiing last winter in Quebec I used a light polypro baselayer and my Arc'teryx Sabre pants (only lightly fleeced inside). In BC I doubt I'd even wear the long baselayer half the time. I'd suggest just trial and error for the first time out this season - see how warm or cold you are and buy layers based on that.

I know I'm an insufferable gear snob but if you ask me not fully taping every seam is just lazy/cheap on the part of the manufacturers. Out of all my hiking/mountaineering/ski gear I don't think I have a single piece of critically taped waterproof gear because quite simply if it's not fully taped or welded - the garment itself is not actually competely waterproof... Particularly with mini-tape keeping down bulk and improving breathability nowadays there's really no reason other than cost to not have a garment with fully taped or welded seams.