REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,320 Times in 578 Posts
S2K as a Daily Driver

I currently drive a Civic and looking to upgrade. I've always liked the TSX and leaning towards that since it offers everything I want and most importantly, practicality. However, I've always liked the S2K as well and really want to get one and it would be my first 2 seater.

The thing is, I can't seem to get over the mindset that the S2K does not seem practical as a daily driver. It'll be nice for spring-summer. When fall/winter rolls around, I don't see the S2K as a practical car with the rain and possible snowy weather.

Any S2K driver out there that drive it as a daily driver? Thoughts?
Advertisement

Last edited by Euro7r; 11-07-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I DD my s2k all year round. Just have winter tires and take it easy during winter or when its raining and you'll be fine.

The only problem with the car is its really, really not practical. There is very little space. Sure you can always find ways to make things fit (take out spare tire and tools, take out passenger seat, put the top down, etc) but that can be a hassle sometimes. Also the ride is harsher than most cars and it can beat you up sometimes. Its noisier too because of the soft top, you'll hear your tires, the pavement, lots of wind noise, raindrops. There is no luxury or comfort at all and it is very raw. You'll have to decide if you can live with that every day.

Its all worth it in the end though. Its a true sports car and as such it responds to all your inputs instantly. Hit 9000 rpms with the top down and you'll forget about practicality.

TSX is the complete opposite of all that. Very comfortable, plush ride and practical too.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

One suggestion is that if you plan to daily drive the s2k, do not mod it with aftermarket suspension or exhaust.
Dinan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Take a look at what you need. Do you need the extra 3 seats?
Do you need trunk space?

I dd my S for 5 years. Slapped on a set of snow tires and I was ready to go winter mode. I was driving the car up and down SFU during the worst snow storms we had in the last 5 years. Even when snow was over a foot high, i was able to drive around as long as i didn't try to make my own tracks.
Add a hardtop and the cabin was nice and warm in the coldest winter driving.

Down side, the salt and rocks did a job on my fenders.

I ended up sticking my hockey gear and sticks in the passenger seat when I went to hockey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Ask Larry Chu
Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
S2000 + spoon + shitty wing + snow = the perfect combo
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,386 Times in 4,259 Posts
Not an S2K but as a similar comparison, I daily drove my MR2 Turbo for 3 years straight with the exception of when there was snow. Priorities changed in life so it became far too impractical.

Lots of good advice so far. I would encourage you to get a set of snow tires and a hard top and not modify the vehicle. But that's just me.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I don't have a s2k but I dd my slk without any problems. The 2 seater isn't really THAT impractical. I mean what do you really need to keep in your car all the time anyways

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
no

Thanked 6,046 Times in 1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
I DD my s2k all year round. Just have winter tires and take it easy during winter or when its raining and you'll be fine.

The only problem with the car is its really, really not practical. There is very little space. Sure you can always find ways to make things fit (take out spare tire and tools, take out passenger seat, put the top down, etc) but that can be a hassle sometimes. Also the ride is harsher than most cars and it can beat you up sometimes. Its noisier too because of the soft top, you'll hear your tires, the pavement, lots of wind noise, raindrops. There is no luxury or comfort at all and it is very raw. You'll have to decide if you can live with that every day.

Its all worth it in the end though. Its a true sports car and as such it responds to all your inputs instantly. Hit 9000 rpms with the top down and you'll forget about practicality.

TSX is the complete opposite of all that. Very comfortable, plush ride and practical too.
i heard that people who drive the s2k in winter fill up the trunk with bricks or sandbags because the car is too light for winter use... im wondering if this will help at all lol
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,156 Posts
I used to DD my old del sol before for two years.

If you play a lot of tetris, then you can work around the whole space issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
#savethemanuals

^^ I've never had to do that... its a good idea though. I have a friend with an rx-8 who puts sandbags in his trunk but he uses all season tires.

edit: might not be a good idea after all? I dunno I never tried.

Last edited by Energy; 11-07-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark View Post
i heard that people who drive the s2k in winter fill up the trunk with bricks or sandbags because the car is too light for winter use... im wondering if this will help at all lol
Yes this will help as it puts more weight over the rear wheels, but with good snow tires, I never had to do this.

The car weighs about 2800 lbs, and is 52/48 weight distribution so really, weight isn't an issue.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I had a 2 seater as DD for a year (Z4MC). I wouldn't do it again. Barely any trunk space, it was pretty hard getting in and out, and had to borrow my friends car to pick up people from airport. The s2k probably has even less trunk space than the Z4 considering the softtop.

I wouldn't recommend it as your DD
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #14

http://www.revscene.net/forums/63706...ly-driver.html
-MFC Fan # 3
-RS ELITE NINJA smurf-ninja
-L.B.C.: REVscene's Resident Lowballers
-RS Photography Crew WpnOfChoice: Sony DSC-F717~"Dana"

http://www.flickr.com/duckducksnap
Levitron is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Just had to...

Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #16
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
I highly recommend to refrain from putting sandbags/extra weight in the back of the S2000.

Go to post #130 (pics)

Who is driving his S this winter through the snow? - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums - Page 6

Quote:
DO NOT PUT EXTRA WEIGHT IN THE TRUNK !!!!!!

It makes the rear of the car act like a PENDULUM !!!!!

iF you add any weight to the Rear of your S, you should also add the same amount of weight to the Front.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion

Last edited by NLY; 11-07-2011 at 10:49 PM.
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #17
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

non ricey exhaust+ vtak+ tunnel+ summer nights = skeet skeet skeet
ree666 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #18
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
this thread and all of its S2K owners = makuh meh jelly
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #19
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I dd'ed mine for 7 years now.
Mines for sale, so I can buy a newer S2K.
kenny@s2ki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

almost 3 years for me now as a dd

i have all seasons year around which havnt been an issue with vancouver snow. just play it smart in the snow and youll survive it...i never bother with adding weight in my trunk.

i started playing hockey this year and i thought trunk space would be an issue. but my bag fits in my trunk, and sticks go in the cabin area.

if you have access to another car at home, then driving this 2 seater wont be an issue. i actually dont mind it as i dont have to car pool people with the S

its also really easy and relatively cheap to maintain. this year, i changed the engine oil, clutch, brake, diff, tranny fluids with the help of a friend. i flushed my own rad fluid. even replaced my own radiator with an aftermarket one. also changed my own brakes and brake pads.

this car doesnt really have any electrical gremlins nor anything major. just normal maintanece and wear and tear items.

this car does feel like a go kart. its super responsive, and you can take corners without feeling like the car is about to flip. the s2k community is really friendly too, take a look on s2ki if you havn't already. i wave to all s2ks i pass and i usually get one in return lol. theres owners as young as larry chu, to more elderly men

and yes it was said in this thread before, it makes a not so great winter car, but it really is an amazing car in the summer. this car still makes me smile

rev to 9000

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:51 AM   #21
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan3 View Post
One suggestion is that if you plan to daily drive the s2k, do not mod it with aftermarket suspension or exhaust.
This
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #22

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
I got the engine of the S2000 swapped into a Corolla so I get that performance without losing any practicality. I still sit 4 people and I can fit a whole gazoo of track day necessity when I go to the track.

That's why people ask me if I regret doing what I did when it costs about the same as a used S2000 now the answer is nevah!

but off topic here. So go on. I find the S2000 quite claustrophobic inside if you like to spread your legs a bit when dancing on the triple pedals....your knees are constantly against the interior.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizo View Post
I highly recommend to refrain from putting sandbags/extra weight in the back of the S2000.

Go to post #130 (pics)

Who is driving his S this winter through the snow? - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums - Page 6
I hate to say it, but all rwd cars will act this way. It has nothing to do with uneven weight and more to do with rwd characteristics.
That guy in the post is an idiot. I can picture what he did. Driving along, he hits the ice and LIFTS his foot off the gas causing the back end to come around.
And why the insurance denied his claim, I would venture a guess that he did not have snow tires and only had 3 season tires.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #24

You can clearly see, those are NOT snow tires on the front of his car and in none of his posts does he say he had snow tires on his car at the time of the accident.
In fact, he said his head and his son's head hit parts of the car in the roll over and is telling people to get a roll cage for their miata's.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #25
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
this car does feel like a go kart. its super responsive, and you can take corners without feeling like the car is about to flip. the s2k community is really friendly too, take a look on s2ki if you havn't already. i wave to all s2ks i pass and i usually get one in return lol. theres owners as young as larry chu, to more elderly men
This. I always wave at other s2k owners and will also usually get a wave back. People really love the car and are proud to own it. Its a car with a lot of personality and charm.

So is OP gonna get an s2k now?