REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Miscellaneous Tech & Tools (https://www.revscene.net/forums/miscellaneous-tech-tools_193/)
-   -   Need help with Garage door slamming shut (https://www.revscene.net/forums/658010-need-help-garage-door-slamming-shut.html)

BIG 11-20-2011 03:54 AM

Need help with Garage door slamming shut

Don't know if this is in the right forum or not but here goes.

Here's what's happening.

When I push the button to open the garage door, the door starts to raise, but then the traveler that pulls the door up disconnects from the chain, as if someone pulled the emergency cord and it releases the door, causing it to slam to the ground.

I've tried to find troubleshooting tips online with no luck. I thought of using zip ties to keep it closed, but of course in an emergency, that's not such a good idea. Any tips?

cunninglinguist 11-20-2011 08:52 AM

You can't see why the latch is letting go by itself while the door is moving up? It should lock.

crazie_gsr 11-20-2011 09:04 AM

Perhaps the latch is getting old so when it gets to a certain point of travel, the weight of the door is too heavy for the door to maintain latched. Is the door old? Wood door or aluminum?
Posted via RS Mobile

BIG 11-20-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cunninglinguist (Post 7696033)
You can't see why the latch is letting go by itself while the door is moving up? It should lock.

I've tried getting up there with a ladder to see, but can't tell why the latch is letting go... i'll give it another go later on today.

BIG 11-20-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazie_gsr (Post 7696043)
Perhaps the latch is getting old so when it gets to a certain point of travel, the weight of the door is too heavy for the door to maintain latched. Is the door old? Wood door or aluminum?
Posted via RS Mobile

It's a brand new house. I'm thinking of calling the builder to get him to come in to fix it. I thought it would be a time saver rather than having to call him to come back, but seems like this will be the way to go

!SG 11-20-2011 06:24 PM

the counter weight springs should make the garage door go up or down with ease.

maybe the reason why the garage door opener motor is "releasing" because its forced to lift too much weight.

i would release the door first from the motor, and try to lift it open urself. if it doesnt open with ease, u may need the garage door re calibrated. maybe something wrong with the counter weight springs.

Speed2K 11-20-2011 09:18 PM

Is it binding anywhere?

crazie_gsr 11-20-2011 11:53 PM

Try manually opening the door to see if there are any obstructions or binding spots. If there isn't, then it's probably the spring things need attention. Pretty much what sg said
Posted via RS Mobile

BIG 11-21-2011 12:06 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, I will look into it this evening.

Cheers

BIG 11-21-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed2K (Post 7696864)
Is it binding anywhere?

By binding I'm assuming you mean sort of "sticking"? It doesn't seem to do that, but I will try to raise the door on my own to see if it does.

crazie_gsr 11-21-2011 12:44 PM

yes that is what we mean by binding. are there rough spots primarily where the door releases from the latch.

Speed2K 11-25-2011 06:29 AM

What's the result?