REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Quebec to lower drinking age to 14 years (https://www.revscene.net/forums/658355-quebec-lower-drinking-age-14-years.html)

The_AK 11-25-2011 12:08 PM

Quebec to lower drinking age to 14 years

Srs

Quote:

Earlier this week the Province of Quebec announced that they would be lowering their legal drinking age to 14. To find out more host Peter Oldring spoke with Alain Rousseau from the Societe des Alcools du Quebec.
CBC.ca | This Is That | Quebec Lowers Drinking Age to 14

in b4 where are the parents

I think this decisions has its good things and bad, but overall a good move imo

edit*

damn it its a hoax

http://laurenoutloud.com/main/wp-con...x386-98509.png

accepting fails

TheNewGirl 11-25-2011 12:12 PM

That just seems off to me... checks the calender. Nope not April 1st. Still... really??!

That's gotta be a hoax.

... and it is: http://www.nowtoronto.com/stage/stor...content=183509

Psykopathik 11-25-2011 12:14 PM

<packs my bags>

I'm off to Quebec to get my rape on.

MindBomber 11-25-2011 12:22 PM

I think it seems reasonable, it's North American culture that imposes the ideas that only fully matured adults should be allowed to drink, cultures around the world have allowed younger people to drink for centuries. It will also give the opportunity for parents to firmly instill responsible consumption practices into their children before they've left the house or are on the verge.

If fourteen year olds start going clubs, well, that's another story...

BrRsn 11-25-2011 01:12 PM

lol but weed is still illegal ... love dem logics.

TheKingdom2000 11-25-2011 01:29 PM

I'm really surprised you think that lowering the drinking age to 14 is a good idea.
How can that be beneficial at all?

In my opinion at 18-19 years is the perfect age for legalization of alcohol. At that age you have somewhat enough experience and exposure under your belt to make the decision to drink or get drunk.

At 14 years old, the average child is way too ignorant do be able to walk into a store and by a 40 of vodka. Teenagers are dumb fucks. I know because I was one.
Just because things work in another population YOU CAN NOT generalize that to our population. Our population is far different than one in china or india or in the amazon.

I'm really shocked that some of you think 14 would be a legitimate age to drink.
I'm just curious on why some of you think this.

GabAlmighty 11-25-2011 01:36 PM

^^^^Have you ever been to Europe?

1exotic 11-25-2011 03:19 PM

No one cares about Quebec. No Quebec threads please.

Manic! 11-25-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 7703008)

France's young binge drinkers upset cafe society with their 'British boozing' | Society | The Observer
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...ople-p-007.jpg

14 is way to young to be legally able to drink and this comes from experience. In larger towns like Vancouver and the surrounding area young people have a lot more to do. In small towns there is not much to so people end up drinking. The smaller the town the more drinking and drug use.

GabAlmighty 11-25-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 7703123)
No one cares about Quebec. No Quebec threads please.

Come at me bro

MWR34 11-25-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 7703337)
Come at me bro

excusez-moi,

viennent à moi le frère.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...73-d4enq10.jpg

falcon 11-27-2011 11:09 AM

Having spent the last 2.5 months in Europe, I have nothing against a 14 year old drinking age. Some countries in Europe don't even have a designated "drinking age." I see kids hanging with parents in the bar here (like under 10), having a coke while their parents drink... The attitude here towards alcohol is so relaxed and drinking isn't a "big deal" and because of that they have way less issues with alcohol abuse than North America.

xilley 11-27-2011 11:17 AM

more drinking more pussy

TheKingdom2000 11-27-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 7703008)

Yes I have actually.

But, like I said in my op. Our cultures are different, so it's harder to generalize based on what Europe is like.

MG1 11-27-2011 02:52 PM

It's a culture thing, and for Quebec it's always about their culture. They are not like the rest of the country.

Bottom line, who cares what they do. It's their province. Their laws, etc.

bloodline129 11-27-2011 03:02 PM

Should be 16 for beer n alc till 10% n 18 everything else like all Europe is :D
Posted via RS Mobile

Manic! 11-27-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 7705248)
Having spent the last 2.5 months in Europe, I have nothing against a 14 year old drinking age. Some countries in Europe don't even have a designated "drinking age." I see kids hanging with parents in the bar here (like under 10), having a coke while their parents drink... The attitude here towards alcohol is so relaxed and drinking isn't a "big deal" and because of that they have way less issues with alcohol abuse than North America.

Coke or a rum and coke? You think a 14 year old should be able to buy alcohol?

unit 11-27-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 7705248)

if you're one to agree with the notion of responsible drinking, and you'd agree that a 14 yr old is not a responsible person, then a 14 year old shouldnt be drinking.

Legal drinking age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excelsis 11-27-2011 04:42 PM

drinking? please

:fuckthatshit:

Nightwalker 11-27-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7705603)
if you're one to agree with the notion of responsible drinking, and you'd agree that a 14 yr old is not a responsible person, then a 14 year old shouldnt be drinking.

That and drinking before 15 increases the likelihood of alcoholism by something like 50%. If there's going to be a law about drinking age, it shouldn't be anywhere near that low.

falcon 11-28-2011 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7705603)

A north American 14 year old, brought up in a society where drinking is a taboo and not allowed, yes. A 14 year old brought up in a society where parents teach their kids at a young age how to enjoy alcohol responsibly and it's not frowned on, no. Drinking beer should be allowed, but no alcohol, and no clubs. I saw so many young teenagers drinking wine/beer at restaurants in Italy, Germany, Switzerland and France while out with parents.

Keep in mind the UK does not count here... they have and always have had binge drinking issues. And their age is 19 IIRC. The RoE (Rest of Europe) seems to have no problem with it.

Psykopathik 11-28-2011 06:42 AM

think back to when you were 14.....:fuckthatshit:

falcon 11-28-2011 07:36 AM

Yeah, when I didn't drink at all? I am one of the few people out there who didn't really touch alcohol until well out of HS. Never really cared for it. A lot of that had to do with the fact my parents never made a big deal out of it.