REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Annoying house builders

Hey guys, to keep the story really short, my neighbour is rebuilding their house, and everyday between 11am-3pm when no one is home the builders are plugging their power tools in our outdoor electricity plugs. Now this has been going for at least a month now, I've informed the builders a few times that we do not want them coming to our property and using our electricity, i've even left a note on the plug that reads "do not use electricity", my dad even went to the trouble of shutting off the outlets at the back. they've even gone to the back of our house and turned on the outlets. Now my parents do not want to involve the police blah blah blah... Now im just wondering what are my rights here and if theres anything i can do to stop these assholes from what they are doing.

thx
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Take pictures and send to police next time they come to your house. Invasion of private.

Or you could get a really big and mean dog and when they come spare them with those BBQ sauce for meant and watch the dog chase them out.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
talk to city hall
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Talk to your neighbour (Owner of house) and tell them to tell the builders to use the other house next to them's electricity.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
SardaukarMod

it's theft and it's costing your parents money. police/bc hydro should be informed. if they're doing this at your house, they've done this at all the other houses they've built before.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
Old 11-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
More than likely there's no power source at the house currently and that's why they're plugging into yours, if that's the case, good luck stopping them. The trades need power to work, if the builder isn't providing it onsite through a temporary panel for whatever reason, they need to find it somewhere or go home for the day. I don't want to come across as an ass hole tradesmen, stealing your power and pissing in the bushes, but when builders cheap out we need to improvize. I've had to do this many times, and it's always on the same companies job sites.

You need to speak with the builder, not the site boss, the person who your neighbours are actually giving their checks too. Tell him it's not acceptable and will no longer be tolerated, if it continues you'll be contacting your neighbours, his clients, directly.

Having the police involved at this point would be foolish, because I doubt it's not one person or one company plugging in. The police aren't going to track down ten different people each for stealing $4 worth of electricity.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
it's theft and it's costing your parents money. police/bc hydro should be informed. if they're doing this at your house, they've done this at all the other houses they've built before.
i've thought about contacting the city and the police. parents are considering talking to the head contractor and the home owner. are they not supposed to have their own power source when they put up new homes?

Ps: theyve already ruined our fence to their side when they were bulldozing the house down.these guys are extremely unprofessional.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
More than likely there's no power source at the house currently and that's why they're plugging into yours, if that's the case, good luck stopping them. The trades need power to work, if the builder isn't providing it onsite through a temporary panel for whatever reason, they need to find it somewhere or go home for the day. I don't want to come across as an ass hole tradesmen, stealing your power and pissing in the bushes, but when builders cheap out we need to improvize. I've had to do this many times, and it's always on the same companies job sites.

You need to speak with the builder, not the site boss, the person who your neighbours are actually giving their checks too. Tell him it's not acceptable and will no longer be tolerated, if it continues you'll be contacting your neighbours, his clients, directly.

Having the police involved at this point would be foolish, because I doubt it's not one person or one company plugging in. The police aren't going to track down ten different people each for stealing $4 worth of electricity.
thank you for the insight. i was actually hoping someone in the trade would give me some info here. so glad someone RS is in this trade. will contact the home owner/project leader asap
Old 11-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Usually these contractors have multiple gas generators making their own power.

We've experienced this whole thing too. They knocked down 2 sections of the fence, they fix those two sections and repaint if necessary.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Can't you trip the breaker from the panel? Therefore cutting off the electricity to the outlets, I understand that it may cut off the electricity to a certain part of the house, but if you do it enough times the contractors will have to move on...

Also I know when building a house you can apply to get a temporary hydro meter installed so the contractors can use their equipment, this is at the expense of the homeowner...maybe the homeowners too cheap
Old 11-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post

We've experienced this whole thing too. They knocked down 2 sections of the fence, they fix those two sections and repaint if necessary.
thats what i assumed but according to mindbomber they company cheaped out
Old 11-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,005 Times in 231 Posts
Get some of those deer sprinklers that blast in the direction of movement…
or just talk to the foreman and the home owners
Old 11-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
I STILL don't get it

Absolutely despicable. I haven't had my blood boil from reading something in a while.
If you don't want to involve the police or anything like that, I'd just go through the trouble of finding a way to lock the main panel so they can't turn the power back on.
IMO, anyone who would do this without asking, and then keep doing upon being told not to, won't change their ways even if you talk to the head contractor. These type of inconsiderate assholes can only be taught through punishment. Because I'm a vindictive asshole, if I were in your position, I'd fix the outlets so they shock who ever plugs something in.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post

No, that's no true. A generator would only be used if absolutely necessary; on a remote job site where hydro has yet to hook the power up to yet, for example. Imagine the annual cost of fuel and maintenance running generators all day, everyday on multiple job sites, it's totally impractical.

The builder should have a temp panel with outlets and a meter hook up to the grid, that's standard practice industry practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstce92 View Post
These type of inconsiderate assholes can only be taught through punishment. Because I'm a vindictive asshole, if I were in your position, I'd fix the outlets so they shock who ever plugs something in.
You should read my post, maybe it will make your blood boil even more, I've done it countless times. Want to shock me bro, since I'm an asshole?

Many trades work on a site for only a few days, they don't own generators, and if they walk off the job since there's no power they won't be given any more work. It's the builders responsibility to provide power, we just do what's necessary in an uncomfortable situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Easy solution, unplug there cord and cut it into pieces. Cords aren't cheap, cut a couple cords they'll get the message.

I'd make a trip home from work during the day just to do this.
If you really want to stop them, shut off the power, remove the outlet, turn it back on.

BYO... electrical outlet

Last edited by MindBomber; 11-30-2011 at 06:56 PM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Easy solution, unplug there cord and cut it into pieces. Cords aren't cheap, cut a couple cords they'll get the message.

I'd make a trip home from work during the day just to do this.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #16
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Hmm... sounds familiar. You live on Capitol Hill?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #17
SardaukarMod

Quote:
the ends do not justify the means. just because it's only $4 of electricity doesn't make it right. just because it's right there and the trades need it to do their job doesn't make it right. it's the OP's parents' property and the trades are trespassing and stealing electricity.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
Old 11-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #18
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Why not just talk to the owner of the house and ask for some money to cover your hydro costs. That would be the smart and reasonable thing to do.

Also I have never seen a builder use a gas generator when building a house. Not only would the fuel costs be high the noise would piss off the neighbors.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Many trades work on a site for only a few days, they don't own generators, and if they walk off the job since there's no power they won't be given any more work. It's the builders responsibility to provide power, we just do what's necessary in an uncomfortable situation.
Residential must be different, I've never worked for someone who didn't provide power. I'd be pissed if I sent my guys to a job site and there was no power, I'd tell them to pack up and go home and the general not to call me back until it's there.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #20
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Residential must be different, I've never worked for someone who didn't provide power. I'd be pissed if I sent my guys to a job site and there was no power, I'd tell them to pack up and go home and the general not to call me back until it's there.
If I had the choice, I would strictly do commercial work.

There's so many sketchy builders out to make a quick buck in residential who cheap out on everything, and they still get big contracts because usually home owners never realize what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
the ends do not justify the means. just because it's only $4 of electricity doesn't make it right. just because it's right there and the trades need it to do their job doesn't make it right. it's the OP's parents' property and the trades are trespassing and stealing electricity.
I didn't say it was right, I said there's no choice, most people simply can't afford to lose the work.

I usually knock on the neighbours door and ask permission, I really do not like doing it.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #21
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
shoot them and say you thought it was a burglar trying to break in

Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #22
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
there gonna need power tomorrow at 7am so get on it, turn off the breaker(s) to the outside outlets
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #23
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I know it might be frustrating to the tradespeople but you don't owe them electricity and they have no right to just take it unless you give permission. See if you can reason with them. If not then feel free to... get creative.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #24
JF.
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

if they take something of yours, take something from them.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #25
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Cut the shit out of their extension cord. There will be no way that they can patch it up.

We threatened to do that when my asshole neighbors decided to re-build next door.
Closed Thread