REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   body work (https://www.revscene.net/forums/658844-body-work.html)

Harryt 12-02-2011 07:25 PM

body work

Well after like 9 years of driving I finally F-up. Super tired today and wanting to get home on a friday night in a underground parking lot. I destroyed my bumper as I was backing out.. I was about to look to my left as I turned and right before I could brake.. bam! hit the left side of my car on the metal pole... now I have a cracked bumper thank god it has clips to hold it in place.

I now need to find a body shop to fix it... and it's gonna hurt since I don't work and am a fulltime student and it's my dad's car.. jus freaking great. But I F-up and it's time to man up to it sadly.

So can anyone recommend a few body-shops I can check out for estimates. Looks like it's gonna come from what ever savings I have.... Probably $1000 damage.

FML my day was perfect today and now I'm sitting here on a friday night banging my head

Will post pics later.

PS: for anyone that wants to laugh go ahead... it's 1 day anyone can laugh because I feel terrible.

6insomnia9 12-02-2011 07:48 PM

I got my first body work done at Twin star collision on kingsway, ran by two brothers.

Did an amazing job.

Go look around for some quotes.

XplicitLuder 12-02-2011 09:43 PM

for what car ? if it's a common car perhaps itd be cheaper to buy the same bumper from somewhere ?

Harryt 12-02-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XplicitLuder (Post 7713356)
for what car ? if it's a common car perhaps itd be cheaper to buy the same bumper from somewhere ?

I wish man.... I wish... it's a freaking Mercedes C280 95

yeah I know.. ouch.. I'm sure my dad is thinking that right now too... and I will be soon when I have to $ to fix it.

I'm kinda hoping it's under $500... but I doubt it.. my guess is they will have to replace the whole bumper and the question is can they find one off another car... buying a new one is going to be insane.. considering I can buy this car now for $5000-6000 used in good condition. It's tough cause I babied this thing all the time and I end up doing something careless and mess it all up

Harryt 12-02-2011 09:54 PM

BTW.. anyone know this deductible stuff? Is that only for accidents? or can you use it for damages like this? I've never had a issue before, so I have no idea. Just trying to get all the facts straight before I go on.

Right now I am just looking at going to get estimates first.

GDChoi 12-02-2011 10:29 PM

Deductibles are for accidents and hit and runs, vandalism etc.
Insurance companies don't pay if you have messed up by yourself.
I would assume depending on how big the crack is.... (since no pics yet)
having the bumper repaired and painted your looking around 700-900. Unless of course you know people.
I am going to send you a PM to where to go and who to find.
check pm

ForbiddenX 12-02-2011 11:16 PM

Call ICBC and explain to them what happened. Ask them what route you should take.

I turned too tight once and hit a pole. My old manager told me to call ICBC first since it technically was an accident and luckily it involved my car and a pole and not another car. So I called told them the truth and they said that I could pay the deductible and get the body work done.

Sky_High 12-02-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForbiddenX (Post 7713434)
So I called told them the truth and they said that I could pay the deductible and get the body work done.

Sounds like this thread:
http://www.revscene.net/forums/65832...ml#post7702257

1exotic 12-03-2011 01:10 AM

umm for a 95' 5/6k car I think the right amount would be around 500 max just for a bumper repair/paint. If its a car you plan on keeping forever and expect mint to the fullest then sure with the more expensive option I guess....

you don't need to go to a "big name" ICBC shop and pay full price to get a good job though, just look around... plenty of smaller shops or private painters that do good work as well.

lowda9 12-03-2011 02:20 AM

how bad is the crack in bumper? approximately $500 total if your bumper is repairable I would think.

firebird79_00 12-03-2011 08:58 AM

All you need to do is pay deductible and find a body shop. ICBC will cover it.

fliptuner 12-03-2011 11:45 AM

If you go through ICBC, the damage will show up on a search if you sell the car later on. Your insurance premiums may go up, depending on your CRS. Either way, your CRS will be effected.

It really depends on the severity of the damage and what it costs to repair. If it's under $1500 and you have a shitty insurance discount, get it done privately and pay out of pocket.

I suggest you go get a few estimates and find out what your CRS is (on you insurance forms) and post back here.

YouMirin 12-03-2011 03:29 PM

Icbc = long term loss
Private shop = short term loss.
Posted via RS Mobile

Harryt 12-03-2011 07:29 PM

Came home late so no pics.. but tmrw I have the day off and will post.

And I plant to get a few estimates on monday.

As for long term loss.. to be honest this car is normally parked for the winter and only insured in the summer. But this year my sister needed the car for her test, so we kept it insured a bit longer. Normally we insure it for a few months and park it away, which is why it's been in fairly good condition. Still under 100,000km.

I don't know if the bumper will need to be replaced or not. It's cracked basically, so it might not be fixable. Pics will show you guys the damage.

I have my insurance from someone else basic from ICBC, and private insurance company. So I have to see what their policy is and what not for these types of accidents. I'm guessing it's the same.. pay a certain amount and the rest is covered and rates go up next time. Though next time... might not even insure the car for the year since I rarely use it.

Harryt 12-04-2011 10:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here are the pics.. going to go see some places tomorrow and see what it costs... :(

skylinergtr 12-04-2011 10:56 PM

call ace german, and see if they have a bumper for your car.

fliptuner 12-04-2011 10:57 PM

Start calling some Euro wreckers.

Quick CL search:

1995 mercedes c280 parts for sale

Harryt 12-05-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skylinergtr (Post 7715549)
call ace german, and see if they have a bumper for your car.

None in stock LOL.. I expecting it.. usually the first thing that's gone are the bumpers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 7715550)
Start calling some Euro wreckers.

Quick CL search:

1995 mercedes c280 parts for sale

Person didn't reply to me, but I'll keep a look out on salvage yards or part outs.