REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   HD click-click-click (https://www.revscene.net/forums/659361-hd-click-click-click.html)

ddr 12-11-2011 11:38 AM

HD click-click-click

I'm using a 5400rpm SATAIII drive on my SATAII port, if this matters. it passed diagnostics such as WD data lifeguard, seatools, hdat2, and smart info seems normal.

when i cold boot my machine, it has made the click-click sound continuounsly on 3 occasions. once it gets into windows, i can't see the drive. after i cold boot it again, it's fine.

it's done isnt' it ....?

twitchyzero 12-11-2011 11:54 AM

better safe than sorry
back-up ASAP!

FerrariEnzo 12-11-2011 11:56 AM

try not use it often.. get another HD to back up and important stuff..
Sounds like its running on its last leg...

gars 12-11-2011 12:03 PM

Is it actually a Seagate or WD harddrive? I've tried to run those diagnostics on a samsung/hitachi drive before, and all they can do is do the basic diagnostics - such as check for bad sectors.... it wouldn't be able to tell you that the hd is failing soon.

But I would definitely back up soon as well. Shitty deal now that HD prices are so expensive.

roastpuff 12-11-2011 12:21 PM

x^n on the "dying hard drive" comments. Time to get another HDD to backup to.

ddr 12-11-2011 12:36 PM

=( it's a hitachi 3TB. they are $299 now lol. i got it from memX and they are pretty good with RMA's. but it's hard to convince them of this problem when I can't demonstrate anything from tests.

you have to ask hitachi for a beta version of their diagnostic software because the one they have now won't do anything over 2TB.

FerrariEnzo 12-11-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddr (Post 7722843)
=( it's a hitachi 3TB. they are $299 now lol. i got it from memX and they are pretty good with RMA's. but it's hard to convince them of this problem when I can't demonstrate anything from tests.

you have to ask hitachi for a beta version of their diagnostic software because the one they have now won't do anything over 2TB.

ME are pretty good... if the click sound comes on all the time, they will know..
Just tell them exactly what happen and how it happens and they will try to replicate it..

skyxx 12-11-2011 05:15 PM

Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green 5400rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache at Memory Express <--- not a bad deal! Back everything up! Go buy a Hard drive Dock and load everything off to another storage device!

asian_XL 12-12-2011 05:50 AM

any click click is bad...my old Seagate (used for 1 month) click click for several days and dead right after I backup the whole disk. The service center guy tested the drive and concluded the head was bad.

SkinnyPupp 12-12-2011 08:20 AM

One of my drives is powering and shutting down, with some clicking. Good thing I am using RAID1. I am going to back the data up tonight just in case.

InvisibleSoul 12-12-2011 09:08 AM

For the heck of it, try Crystal Disk Info and see whether there are any warnings shown there.

!MiKrofT 12-12-2011 10:56 AM

I think he should back everything up first before running anymore diagnostics. Clicking heads is enough of a diagnostic to know the drive is gonna fail soon.

twitchyzero 12-12-2011 05:44 PM

actually i had a seagate 1TB HDD that did the clicking thing for a few days then it stopped doing it...still going strong a year later *knock on wood*

ddr 12-12-2011 07:03 PM

thnx for all the replies.

i have started to transfer last night ... still another 4 hours to go on usb2.0 haha. 2.5TB of stuff. i have just been 'collecting' this stuff for too long for me to risk losing it.

i have tried losing all my TV series chi/eng at a time, but i could easily get it all back in 3-4 days. movies and music will take WAY too long to recover. imma going to memX first thing tomorrow, and luckily a friend let me borrow the 3TB external i ordered for him, and he's glad to have my collection as well.