REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Canada Post - Collect On Delivery (https://www.revscene.net/forums/659464-canada-post-collect-delivery.html)

ForeverYours 12-13-2011 12:09 AM

Canada Post - Collect On Delivery

Hello Revscene members, forum newbie here. (If this is in the wrong section mods please move).

Has anyone had any experience with collect on delivery via Canada Post?
I'm trying to sell something to someone in Victoria using COD. Does this method seem secure and reliable?

Thanks in advance
Posted via RS Mobile

- kT 12-13-2011 12:19 AM

i may be misinformed, but to my knowledge, COD fees are fees charged by the shipping company to compensate for brokerage, custom clearance and etc. in otherwords, COD fees are a way for the shipping company to make money off you - since you've already paid the seller for shipping (or vice versa, if you're the buyer you've paid for the shipping fees)

bearing that in mind, COD fees are not charged by Canada Post, nor by USPS (which is canada post once the parcel comes into canada). i have been charged brokerage fees by UPS, FedEx and DHL. strangely enough it doesn't seem to follow a trend (i'm sure it does, but i randomly get charged sometimes for COD's and sometimes i don't). unrelated to the value of the item, whether i pick it up myself or it gets delivered to my door, etc.

if you're talking about canada post collecting money for the product itself once the item is delivered, then i have no experience. just thought i'd help by sharing what i know

hope that helps

jeedee 12-13-2011 12:36 AM

COD isn't a type of shipping service.

COD is when you get something shipped to YOU, and you have to pay those fees.

I bought something online before via USPS and when it arrived to my house, I had to pay the CanadaPost COD fees because the item was worth alot. The fees come from customs if I'm not mistaken.

If a package is sent from Canada to another part of Canada, the person receiving the package will never have to pay brokerage fees, only taxes, which is included in the shipping option they paid for.

--

But to answer your question, ship it with expedited services. It comes with a tracking number, secure and very reliable. I've shipped packages to the US with expedited and it always arrives in a week.

Expedited to Montreal is 2-3 days, so it should take 1-2 days for an expedited package from Vancouver to Victoria.

Its also cheaper and just about the same delivery time compared to CanadaPost Next AM and CanadaPost Xpresspost

Manic! 12-13-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 7724673)
COD isn't a type of shipping service.

COD is when you get something shipped to YOU, and you have to pay those fees.

I bought something online before via USPS and when it arrived to my house, I had to pay the CanadaPost COD fees because the item was worth alot. The fees come from customs if I'm not mistaken.

If a package is sent from Canada to another part of Canada, the person receiving the package will never have to pay brokerage fees, only taxes, which is included in the shipping option they paid for.

--

But to answer your question, ship it with expedited services. It comes with a tracking number, secure and very reliable. I've shipped packages to the US with expedited and it always arrives in a week.

Expedited to Montreal is 2-3 days, so it should take 1-2 days for an expedited package from Vancouver to Victoria.

Its also cheaper and just about the same delivery time compared to CanadaPost Next AM and CanadaPost Xpresspost

COD is also when you ship something without having received payment. When the driver delivers the package he receives payment before handing over the package.

COD: Cash on Delivery

Autorice 12-13-2011 01:22 AM

within canada you can send a parcel COD but you have to prepay the shipping charges and the COD fee (around $7 but I sent it ages ago).

Tick the box that says cash and don't accept cheque. The receiver must pay in cash and you will then receive a canada post money order that you can cash in any post office or deposit into any bank.

You can only do COD in CDN funds. Hope that helps.

minoru_tanaka 12-13-2011 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 7724692)
COD: Cash on Delivery

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autorice (Post 7724696)
You can only do COD in CDN funds. Hope that helps.

Go with what these guys said. I have no idea what the others are talking about

pawdregry4g 12-13-2011 07:05 AM

Done it once about 7 years ago. I shipped a bike part down to quebec and put it under COD, I told the buyer that he would have to pay for both the COD charge (6.50 ish) + shipping charges.

The cheque from canadapost came about 3 weeks after the buyer received the parcel.

Only risky thing I remember from COD is that if the buyer refuses to take the package, you're stuck with return shipping charges and the the COD charge.

Coren 12-13-2011 12:33 PM

A COD stands for collection on delivery and Canada Post only collects the amount on behalf of the sender. This service is only available for domestic mail (not sure how USPS COD's work in Canada) up to an amount of $25000. Payment options include cash, cheque, or post dated cheque.
You should select cash only because cheques can bounce and Canada Post bears no responsibility on that. Canada Post will then make out a money order for the sender.