REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Get a prelude if you like understeer...right luder?

I say do your research and find out what YOU like..

@TopsyCrett
He means power bolt-ons like CAI,exhaust...you don't really notice the difference vs stock.
Advertisement
92 240sx - dd/project car
88 CRX - sold
98 DC2 - sold

Renting out pbm fender roller - pm for details.
satek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #27
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

i was looking into putting work into the honda but i dont want a four door cause then friends expect rides and im sick of it okay so i see prelude rebuilt rsx or a r32? or gtr so would it be better to get the skyline instead?
Jake Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #28
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

personally love the look of the prelude not so much the 240sx but everyones saying preds have problems i can do manual i guess its better if i want preformance i was just hoping to get preformance in an automatic or trip tranny i like the skylines but got told getting parts for imports are had to come by and you may need to bring them in, you huys have to take into account this is my first project car, i want a car that wont hesitate when you press the peddle thats why weight is an issue, i rather it take off a hill instead of peddle all the way down and it can barely make it up heritage mountain. ive always loved skylines but to find a sky without people already tweaking it is practically impossible, this is my learning car, i finally have the money and th steady job to get a car that i can make mine. and i dont want american and i dont wanna have major problems with it so alll i see are rsx but they start at 8 preludes that have rebuilt trannies 240sx that arent rust buckets or tweeked and i like the 91 body style
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #29
kwy

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloors View Post
Don't even bother with 240s unless you know your shit with them or else it'll be a money pit.. Why not look into TLs or BMWs??
Posted via RS Mobile
So a basic 4 cyl economy car is a money pit while a BMW or ACURA TL isn't?

I've owned two BMWs, and believe me, they cost more than a 240 to keep running and modify..
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #30
kwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Hartman View Post
i was looking into putting work into the honda but i dont want a four door cause then friends expect rides and im sick of it okay so i see prelude rebuilt rsx or a r32? or gtr so would it be better to get the skyline instead?
If this is your first car, stay the hell away from the GT-R. First off, you get what you pay for, and a 6K GTS, let alone GT-R will be a fucking mess. You have NO idea how broke you will be if you get a GT-R. A decent one will run about 9k, any less is asking for trouble. Stick with a Honda.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #31
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
lol at "japanese tuner"

a 4 banger is not a tuner.... its a daily driver car to haul your ass around and shit like that.
My 2700 lb, 4g63 evo is a great daily driver. Your 3400 lb 2jz supra sounds like a massive boat on the street..
Posted via RS Mobile
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #32
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

okay soooooooo more confused then ever! stay away from gtr and every car other car. okay new question if you were me and wanting to learn how to mod WHAT CAR DO I GET?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #33
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

would a trip fully loaded pred be a good idea?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #34
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
okay soooooooo more confused then ever! stay away from gtr and every car other car. okay new question if you were me and wanting to learn how to mod WHAT CAR DO I GET?
240sx.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #35
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
get whatever you like honestly, when you are young, you have enough disposable income to switch cars often.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #36
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
A Honda, CDM Nissan or Miata.

All are easy to work on, parts are readily available and affordable, have plentiful support from the local import community in terms of finding used parts locally and help with installs.

I have a Civic, it's easy to work on and handles like a dream, just don't ask me to run a quarter mile. The only disadvantages are the somewhat annoying constant comments from people who have never owned or modified civics about how they're front wheel drive and slow, although admittedly fact that they're front wheel drive does limit the fun a bit. Had I not been concerned with carrying more than one passenger, I would have gone with a Miata. Any lower end import will be slow in stock form, so look for something with great handling characteristics if you don't want to spend a fortune on boost. Basically, just get what you like best and don't concern yourself with others opinions, which sounds like a prelude.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #37
Banned (ABWS)

LOL at people thinking a rebuilt auto prelude magically fixes the auto problem...
doma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #38

Could always get a 180sx with a stock sr20 with minor additions can make I think 260 rwhp with a stock motor and turbo. That way most parts are readily available in Canada off a 240sx and sr20's are quite common If you need parts.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #39
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

i havent been able to find a 180 or would have gotten it myself, and i always thought the miata was more of a girls car
Old 12-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #40
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/65941...o-%243600.html

Cheap.
You said you had 6k, so this leaves you with money left over to fix all the little things that need to be fixed on that particular car.

This will teach you the valuable life lesson that owning an old car sucks.

But in all honesty. Get the car that's right for you.
If you want an automatic, get one.
IF you want a FWD car, get one.

If I were you, I'd just keep the Accord, and save up for something new, that you bought yourself.

SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #41
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
stick with the 93 accord for now
save up some more money
graduate high school..buy a better car

but if you want a this or that answer..i'd go for the prelude...sure it's not as fun but they look a little more respectable than 240sx...240sx is more for people that actually wanna do some track/drifting on a budget.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #42
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
i havent been able to find a 180 or would have gotten it myself, and i always thought the miata was more of a girls car
girls car..? yeah.. until those 'girls' dominate you at auto x. nobody who actually knows anything about cars laugh at miatas anymore.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #43
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj.GSR View Post
My 2700 lb, 4g63 evo is a great daily driver. Your 3400 lb 2jz supra sounds like a massive boat on the street..
Posted via RS Mobile
you mad?
I am just saying tuner shouldn't be used in the same sentance as a prelude, old civic, etc.

my comment was towards those kinds of cars, as for the EVO and so on they are great.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #44
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

evos are amazing and when see miatas on the road theres grandpas and women coming out of them sorry just saying what ive noticed
Old 12-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #45
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
evos are amazing and when see miatas on the road theres grandpas and women coming out of them sorry just saying what ive noticed
Seems like you care more about what people think of you/your car than actually choosing a better car, in that case go with the 240 (IMO more street cred than an FWD prelude...)

Perhaps find out the cost of insurance might help you choose?
I used to have a Z31 300zx and that was around $1000-1400 more than my miata to insure with comprehensive + collision at the same discount. $1000 is significant mod/maintenance/gas money.

Honestly owning the miata has been a joy, everything is cheap/easy to get, car seems to be bulletproof even at 312k+ kms, and as a driver's car in stock trim is considerably better than most cars for the money.

At the end of the day you probably wouldn't go wrong with something like an integra
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #46
kwy

Bud, a few years ago I was in the same boat. Blew money on stupid cars and stupid mods. Now in university and regretting it. If I could do it all over again, I'd buy a cheap economical car like a Civic or Accord.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
you mad?
I am just saying tuner shouldn't be used in the same sentance as a prelude, old civic, etc.

my comment was towards those kinds of cars, as for the EVO and so on they are great.
Not mad, just defending my 4 banger.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #48
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

i care more on which will be fun to drive and can have some power behind it
Old 12-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #49

Just buy a SR swapped 240 and don't slide it into a ditch.

Have fun for awhile, spend a bit of money making it a fun street car then save for school.

Then sell the 240 and buy a bus pass for school haha.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #50
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
^
80% of the SR swapped 240's you see...anywhere are fucked.
240 owners are cheap. Half of them don't even do the proper pre reqs before swapping. Mounts, Thermostat, etc.
And some of them usually just paint over any pre-existing rust instead of actually getting rid of it.

I'm not saying that it's true for all 240 owners, but it's pretty much become the norm. They watch a couple drift vids on Youtube, then do hackjob swaps with ebay parts, and tweak the chassis. Or they attempt to make a cool drift car, and fuck up the Chassis by doing shitty welds for thier half assed rollcage.

Don't buy a 240 unless you're willing to do a proper job, with the proper tools and parts. I mean, for fucks sake they're selling knockoff N62 (Z32) MAFs for people who don't want to spend an extra $20 for a good used one.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote