REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Altrom/Ultra 8 parts (https://www.revscene.net/forums/660367-altrom-ultra-8-parts.html)

Holeshot 12-28-2011 09:20 PM

Altrom/Ultra 8 parts

anyone use them? i just picked up a CMC from NAPA. Ultra 8 brand. parts guy recommended it over the more expensive brand, which was 3x the price. Same warranty. 12 months or 15 000 km.

pingu81 12-28-2011 09:38 PM

Been using Ultra 8 oil filters for a few years now. No problems at all.

narfy 12-29-2011 10:30 AM

altrom hydraulics are junk... unless the box says it's made in the same country the vehicle is made in... (made in japan for honda/toyota, etc)

i've had 2 altrom clutch MC's and 1 brake MC fail... and that was after doing a COMPLETE fluid flush with a few bottles of fluid... and they both failed with clean fluid in them... my clutch MC was leaking into the cabin, and the brake MC had a sinking pedal...

napa recommends using altrom stuff because they get the biggest discounts thru altrom and altrom distribution is local so in most cases, they're easy to get...

i would recommend you find out where the part is made first, and see if beck arnley (from lordco or wherever) has got one made in a more favourable country because if it's made in the same country as the original part, chances are, it came from teh same factory.

Holeshot 12-30-2011 12:59 PM

how long did it last? within the warranty period?

narfy 12-30-2011 06:32 PM

even if it fails within the warranty period, which one of the clutch MC's did, it's still a pain in the ass to have to do it again... i'd rather pay a bit more money for a much better part...

Titanium1.8 01-04-2012 02:30 PM

Ultra 8 (china knockoff alternator replacement) for 2005 Nissan X-trail, cost $500 from altrom and died in 15 months. Very pissed.

Two thumbs up though for Brighouse Auto Electric in Richmond which bench tested that crappy alternator for free and sold me a Hitachi rebuild for < $200.

Holeshot 01-04-2012 03:11 PM

well, ultra 8 cmc installed. clutch feels nice. i'll see how long it lasts.

Phil@rise 01-05-2012 09:41 AM

altrom ultra and fenco all manufacturers I shy away from.

bcrdukes 01-05-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 7750190)
altrom ultra and fenco all manufacturers I shy away from.

Same.

Had bad experiences with the two in the past. Never again.

Phil@rise 01-05-2012 01:12 PM

My most recent and troubling was fencos BMC's I replaced three consecutive in my truck and all three failed within a month of being in my truck. After doing hundreds if not thousands of BMC jobs over the years I was begining to think I needed to go back to school untill a another great mechanic and friend told me of similar experiences with fenco products. I replaced it with an AC delco unit and never had a problem.
This was a serious problem to boot! At random my brake pedal would go right to the floor with no resistance and zero brakes and not always pump back up with a second push. My truck is a 6500 pound 4x4 with some big tires so alot of hurt can happen without brakes.
Lesson learned dont always jump to the cheapest part the parts guy offers you.

Titanium1.8 01-10-2012 12:04 PM

MTC part is bad. Got a Mass Air Flow sensor that is DOA. Wasted $80.