REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Shitty / Crap mechanical shop thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/660806-shitty-crap-mechanical-shop-thread.html)

Bahhbeehhaaaa 01-05-2012 08:44 PM

Shitty / Crap mechanical shop thread

Hopefully this thread will help and prevent our community from scams / overpriced on vehicle tuneups and repairs because my bro just had a very bad experience with one of my local auto shops..

Location - P and D automotive LTD. On Renfrew and 22nd

case 1) Charged my bro $505.45 to replace an alternator on a 1990 integra.

case 2) Friend took his new mazda 3 there for an oil change, those guys put on the wrong oil filter... then he found oil leaks everywhere the next morning.

tofu1413 01-05-2012 08:53 PM

case 1 sounds about right. if that amount is alt included with labor, shop fees and tax.

case 2 - the mazda 3 filters are either the traditional screw on type or the cartage type. if cartage type, then the tech could simply been sloppy and not replaced the rubber O-ring that needs to be replaced each time upon removal. if its the traditional screw on type, then yes, they fucked up

bcrdukes 01-05-2012 09:09 PM

+1 on case 1. Sounds like full retail. No discount. Labour by the book and shop fees with taxes.

Bahhbeehhaaaa 01-05-2012 09:39 PM

ok =(

hk20000 01-05-2012 10:41 PM

case 2 is interesting it seems more like the filter is not tightened than wrong - because a wrong filter would leak oil as soon as the engine is started.

smoothie. 01-06-2012 07:06 AM

-1 on the alternator.

i got a rebuilt one installed and all for $120 from Edmonds Alternators. came with a 1 year warranty too, been a year and a half now, no issues.

Glove 01-06-2012 07:48 AM

jesus christ your buddy paid 500 bucks for an alternator + install?

tell him to come to me next time il do it for half

Alphamale 01-06-2012 08:32 AM

You guys are a bunch of dumb fucks. Most independent places will let your bargain a bit.

Shops need to make money to stay alive. If you can DIY and/or you are savvy, then kudos to you. Otherwise, you need to pay full retail.

Assuming a stranger walked into Lordco, NAPA..etc w/ no discount, the cost of a rebuilt BOSCH or otherwise alternator would cost in the neighbourhood of $350+ even for a shitty japanese car like a corolla or integra. Factor in diagnosis time, labour, shop supplies..etc $505 isn't that bad.

I could fucking order brushes on EBAY or get it from a supplier for $40 bucks and do the whole re-re myself but so-the-fuck-what? I can fix cars, most people can't and thus they need to pay.

I hope none of you people complaining about the amount paid own any apple products, lulz.

91civicZC 01-06-2012 09:40 AM

Did your friend get a quote before hand? Did he shop around for prices? Did they quote him something else before he dropped off the car for work? Was the job they did incorrect in some way?

If none of the above, no one should be calling out the shop on a public forum. Pay to play.

Learn to do it yourself, or pay someone with the skills, tools, room , and ability to do it for you. Such is life.

Bahhbeehhaaaa 01-06-2012 11:45 AM

his car died on lougheed and then he called BCAA and got it towed to P and D.

The tower suggested that shop cuz it was near his house.. easy pick up ?