REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Jassi Sidhu - Mother/Uncle Arrested... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/660987-jassi-sidhu-mother-uncle-arrested.html)

dangonay 01-09-2012 06:04 AM

Jassi Sidhu - Mother/Uncle Arrested...

It's long been suspected her mother and uncle had something to do with it, but now they've actually been arrested after 11 years.

I wonder how easy it will be to make a case so long after the original murder, and if they will even be extradited?

B.C. police arrest mother, uncle linked to cold case murder

nns 01-09-2012 09:25 AM

Copy and paste:

Quote:

The mother and uncle of a Maple Ridge woman murdered in India more than 11 years ago were arrested on Friday in connection with her death.

Police arrested Malkit Kaur Sidhu, 63, and Surjit Singh Badesha, 67, in Maple Ridge, in connection with the June 2000 slaying of Jaswinder (Jassi) Kaur Sidhu, 25, in Punjab.

Sidhu’s husband, Sukwinder (Mithu) Singh Sidhu, was gravely injured in the attack.

Indian authorities had long alleged that Malkit Kaur Sidhu and Badesha, disapproving of the wealthy beautician’s secret marriage to a poor rickshaw driver, were responsible for hiring hit men and orchestrating the supposed honour killing.

Jassi Sidhu’s body was found in an irrigation ditch with her throat slit.

The Supreme Court of B.C. issued the warrants on Thursday under the Extradition Act.

Malkit Kaur Sidhu and Badesha are now being held in custody pending an extradition hearing.

Seven others have already been convicted in India for charges including murder, attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder in relation to the death.

Fabian Dawson, deputy editor at The Province, broke the story 11 years ago and co-authored a book on it, titled Justice for Jassi.

Dawson spoke with Jassi Sidhu’s widower shortly after news of the arrests broke and said he was “overwhelmed with emotion.”

“First they tried to kill him, then they killed his wife,” Dawson said. “Then they tried to kill him again, several times [so he couldn’t testify in the trial against the hit men].

“Gunmen were sent to his house, they shot up his house, they tried to kill him, they were tracking him.”

Mithu Singh Sidhu was also imprisoned for four years on a rape charge — an allegation only proven false after Justice for Jassi co-author and South Asian Post publisher Harbinder Singh Sewak hired investigators to look into the matter.

The woman recanted her allegation and said she was paid by another of Jassi Sidhu’s uncles to lie, Dawson said.

Dawson called the arrests “the beginning of another process.”

“The Indian investigation has to be tested — it has to meet the Canadian standards — and that is going to be the big issue in the trial,” he said.

“Will they ever be able to be extradited? I have my doubts, because the way the evidence was collected in India may not stand up to the tests here in Canada.

“The process could take another 10 years.”

Presto 01-09-2012 10:03 AM

So many lives ruined because of some fucking pride. I'm ignorant to the culture, but is it the society that demands such "honor killings" to happen? Or is it just fucked up family? Or maybe contributions from columns A and B?

spyker 01-09-2012 10:28 AM

That's good to hear,hope it sends out a strong message to people who think they can go around killing people all in the name of "honour" and think they can get away with it.

The problem with this case is,the mother and uncle are rich,they will hire the best lawyers money can buy,people can pretty much predict the outcome of this.

GLOW 01-09-2012 10:30 AM

i saw this on the 5th estate a few days ago. sad to see this happen but happy that they are finally arrested for it. when they were airing the story they said that the person that orchestrated it all in india was released from the indian prison and might possibly be living in maple ridge.

Psykopathik 01-09-2012 10:31 AM

so at what point does it become honorable to hire hit men and a woman to lie in court?

spyker 01-09-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo E (Post 7755118)
so at what point does it become honorable to hire hit men and a woman to lie in court?

There is no honour in killing your own kid,people that do this type of shit are fucked in the head,I don't care what background they are from and how they were raised.

The mom and uncle should have just killed themselves instead,if they cannot live with the fact their daughter/niece married some guy they don't approve of.

van_city23 01-09-2012 12:18 PM

Definitely no honour at all in killing your daughter over a marriage. They won't be extradited because the evidence used there will not be admissable in court here. The standards are very different out there.

Roach 01-09-2012 01:55 PM

Although I doubt they will be extradited, I'm happy to see that charges were finally laid. I can only hope that the they will be shunned by the Indo-Canadian community as murderers. Fitting for people who were so concerned with pride and social status.

Kev

tool001 01-09-2012 02:08 PM

Cbc docu was on a few days back, showed contractor who arranged killing in india is also in canada under fasle name. Pretty fucked situation, rcmp made arrest last week (same day the documentry aired).
Posted via RS Mobile