REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech-resources_312/)
-   -   Help for aircare of my 98 240sx (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661151-help-aircare-my-98-240sx.html)

andyamuro 01-11-2012 06:46 PM

Help for aircare of my 98 240sx

Hi everyone,
I have my 1998 240sx with sr20 red top
i was doing the aircare but they said can not detect to obd2
of course because swap engine and i requested to do the rolling test
they said i cant do that ......
so now, how can i pass the aircare?

jing 01-11-2012 06:58 PM

The only way you're going to keep your SR swap and pass the aircare test is if you swap it back to KA, do the test, then swap it back to the SR.
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 01-13-2012 04:41 PM

...................serious?

satek 01-13-2012 05:47 PM

Yup, if you want to get it through the legit way

jing 01-13-2012 06:46 PM

There is no other way since his car is a 98. The only time the driving test is performed instead of the OBD check is when 2 to 3 of the car's OBD readiness monitors are not set. SR swaps are not compatible with OBD, and so the car will be rejected every time.

corollagtSr5 01-13-2012 07:23 PM

You can insure it in territory z. There's no aircare on the island, whistler, or a city past Hope. Pick an address, and tell them that's where your car is going to be, because you work in that city. Insurance cost more though. Then after you buy your insurance, you return to another insurance place, and request an address change, back to your current address so you don't have complications if you get into an accident or if your car gets stolen. Google, territory z if you have any more questions you'd like to answer.

Expresso 01-13-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 (Post 7759978)
You can insure it in territory z. There's no aircare on the island, whistler, or a city past Hope. Pick an address, and tell them that's where your car is going to be, because you work in that city. Insurance cost more though. Then after you buy your insurance, you return to another insurance place, and request an address change, back to your current address so you don't have complications if you get into an accident or if your car gets stolen. Google, territory z if you have any more questions you'd like to answer.

Does this even work? You would think ICBC would make you complete Aircare before allowing the Address change.

JSALES 01-17-2012 12:16 AM

there's a lot of people who roll around with SR20's though. how do they all pass?

Expresso 01-17-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 7764169)
there's a lot of people who roll around with SR20's though. how do they all pass?

Shouldnt be an issue if pre-98 as they do the roller tests. Since his car is 98+ it requires a OBD test.

Phil@rise 01-17-2012 10:31 AM

You'll have to insure it out of territory or wait a couple years till its old enough to be roller tested.
You'd be surprised how many people install non OBD compliant motors into cars needing OBD compatibility to be aircare compliant.

billboa 02-16-2012 03:35 AM

just insure it using an address in Kelowna, it will be cheaper and no aircare PERIOD

Expresso 02-16-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billboa (Post 7798492)
just insure it using an address in Kelowna, it will be cheaper and no aircare PERIOD

Just as good as driving w/o insurance. Good times!

satek 02-16-2012 11:58 AM

just switch back to your own address afterwards.

jing 02-16-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satek (Post 7798774)
just switch back to your own address afterwards.

I'm not sure how it works if you switch the address after you've already purchased the insurance, but I know that if you're up for renewal and the address gets changed, Aircare will be required.

Build240s 03-30-2012 02:40 PM

Well I think I have a Manual for the SR20DET. if you still have you Com link connector Im sure we could wire in the 16 or so wires it would take for them to read your car. But it would be a wiring fiasco

corollagtSr5 03-30-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billboa (Post 7798492)

Then a few days later switch it to your home address. You already bought the insurance so they can't force you to go through aircare. Its like when u know your aircare is due, so you buy a year before its over due so you don't have to deal with aircare until your insurance is done.

jing 03-30-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Build240s (Post 7869627)
Well I think I have a Manual for the SR20DET. if you still have you Com link connector Im sure we could wire in the 16 or so wires it would take for them to read your car. But it would be a wiring fiasco

Obd 2 =\= consult connector

jasonc 04-03-2012 07:37 AM

Do they follow up on your address to see if your really living out of the no aircare zone?

Tombstone 04-30-2013 08:32 PM

You can get plates for your car by registering it out of vancouver BC but rest assured if you end up in a serious accident ICBC is going to do their best to prove you have insured your vehicle incorrectly.

I belive you have 10 days to re-register you car for your current address including aircare to bee good by ICBC.

As for the OP unless he can somehow scab a KA harness to run his SR (which is impossible) he is going to have to day insure it until they abandon Aircare

Tombstone 04-30-2013 08:35 PM

i think i saw this S14 for sale on Clist for like 8k a couple summers ago. Its white with a JDM front end right?

Gtrr33 04-30-2013 08:35 PM

i heard G5 can help with these problems give them a call.

Tombstone 04-30-2013 08:41 PM

I dont think theres much even G5 can do to get around this issue, you basically have to have a fuctioning OBDII port to pass aircare with 1998+ vehicles which, as was mentioned, SR20s don't have...

They scan the OBDII port for any engine codes and you don't pass if anything is flagged. A ton of the components in a vehicle that can throw OBDII codes will effect tailpipe emissions:

Quote:

In the CARB OBD II regulation (section 1968.2 for 2004 and
subsequent model years), section (e)(16) comprehensive
components are described as any electronic input or output
powertrain component that: (a) is used for any other OBD II
monitor; or (b) (when malfunctioning) can cause a measurable
increase in tailpipe emissions during any reasonable driving
condition. The components typically monitored under these
provisions include: cam sensor, crank sensor, IAT sensor,
MAP sensor, MAF sensor, A/T shift solenoids, A/T input
speed, A/T output speed, A/T torque converter clutch
solenoid, A/T oil temp sensor, idle speed control valve, glow
plugs, TPS, baro sensor, and vehicle speed sensor.
Basically to make the process more straightforward they just scan the OBDII port and if no codes are thrown they just assume the engine is producing a manageable amount of emissions.