REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   08+ STi owners.... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661183-08-sti-owners.html)

Iceman-19 01-12-2012 01:26 AM

08+ STi owners....

Any issues with your cars? How do you like them for a daily? Is the sport techpack worth getting? Input from owners please!
Posted via RS Mobile

Muskys SS 01-13-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 7759220)
Any issues with your cars? How do you like them for a daily? Is the sport techpack worth getting? Input from owners please!
Posted via RS Mobile

You definately don't want an 2008 STi. There is a major problem with the ecu tune. Apparently the fuel cut rev limiter causes the engines to run lean. Subaru has developed a re-flash to correct this issue, but who knows if the damage has already occured. I've also heard that there could be an issue with the casting of the pistons making them weaker. There are numerous people that have reported ringland failures on their stock cars. Here's a link that lists a bunch of people with the same problem:
Service Program Bulletin WVE#15: Engine Control Module (ECM) Reprogramming - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

Iceman-19 01-13-2012 03:33 PM

What happened to this thread? There was 2 pages of replies?
Posted via RS Mobile

iamed 01-13-2012 03:35 PM

http://www.revscene.net/forums/661185-oops.html

A database backup was restored causing a loss of production data.

Iceman-19 01-13-2012 04:39 PM

Lol
Posted via RS Mobile

Iceman-19 01-15-2012 02:25 PM

So only thing I need to worry about is not to buy an 08? Anybody recommend a good Subaru dealer? I heard the dealer in Langley was lousy, and having been in there before, I know they are. I walked around the lot and the show room and couldnt even FIND a salesman.

jasonturbo 01-15-2012 06:59 PM

This thread was meant for me... I have a 2011 STI and to be honest this is the best way of putting it... if I could go back in time I wouldn't have bought it.. but at the same time I can say that I can name another car I would have bought in it's place... everything new seems to suck.

Cabin/Road Noise is terrible... Very Very loud car...
Fuel door doesnt like to "pop" open.
Stock tires are noisey, wear fast, and suck on every surface.
Seats = Shit bolsters
Factory shifter too long
Suspension too soft, car does not feel planted or predictable read me KW V3's not enough, time for sways? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
Interior panels mark up really bad, really easy.
MPG lol Don't believe the sticker, I get 4mpg less with this car than I did with my 2004 STI... AVG about 16mpg mixed.. both flashed and stock map.

My car also has a random problem where anytime I am below half a tank it runs like shit, stalls and bucks all the time lol.. dealer hasn't figured it out yet.. they are finally going to try a new pump/float.

Parts are hella expensive for a Japanese car.. worse than S2k parts.

Factory stereo sucks, and factory NAV is like a 3" screen lol

Put it this way... PM me if you might want to take over a lease hahaha It's a year old with <7000km

Doubl3_H 01-15-2012 07:00 PM

^
Specialty or Don Docksteader
Bought mine at Specialty, cause of their license plate frame:)

Iceman-19 01-15-2012 09:08 PM

Huh, really Jason? That's disappointing to hear....well that is strange. It's not a daily, and will get modded.
Posted via RS Mobile

optiblue 01-15-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonturbo (Post 7762286)
This thread was meant for me... I have a 2011 STI and to be honest this is the best way of putting it... if I could go back in time I wouldn't have bought it.. but at the same time I can say that I can name another car I would have bought in it's place... everything new seems to suck.

Seats = Shit bolsters
Factory shifter too long
Suspension too soft, car does not feel planted or predictable read me KW V3's not enough, time for sways? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
MPG lol Don't believe the sticker, I get 4mpg less with this car than I did with my 2004 STI... AVG about 16mpg mixed.. both flashed and stock map.

My car also has a random problem where anytime I am below half a tank it runs like shit, stalls and bucks all the time lol.. dealer hasn't figured it out yet.. they are finally going to try a new pump/float.

Put it this way... PM me if you might want to take over a lease hahaha It's a year old with <7000km

To answer which dealer is the best to buy from, it would be don docksteader. They are the best based on online reviews. I had an 08 Evo X MR and wanted to go back to manual and came literally one call away from getting the 2011 STI. My Subbie friend informed me about how many people on Naosic have experienced 07+ 4th cylinder ringland failures. It's somewhat of a ticking timebomb as they experience it fully stock, or others pro tuned/modded. I won't get into it too much as I dont know root cause, but its happened to a fair amount of people. I ended up trading my car in for another used Evo X and haven't had a single issue with either.
Posted via RS Mobile

freelunch 01-17-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonturbo (Post 7762286)

Seats = Shit bolsters
Factory shifter too long

I've got a 2011 STI Sport Tech (4 door), just wanted to chime in:

Road noise - yes its loud, I added some dynamat/foam to door panels and also lined the trunk and rear quarters for dynamat and foam and the road noise has been muted quite a bit

Fuel door - no issues with mine

Stock tires - really loud, but I guess the treadlife isnt bad (20,000kms so far)

Seats - sure they are wider than recaros, but I find the grip to be adequate and reasonably supportive for aggressive driving; they are great for daily driving tho, I found the recaros in the Evo X and DC2 recaros to be too tight around the hips for daily use

Factory shifter - Its not short like a Honda, but I find the action to be accurate and it feels direct, almost like a bolt action rifle

Suspension - I find it to be pretty good, its firm but not too uncomfortable for daily use; however I havent really pushed the car to its limits yet so its hard to say if it sucks or not for race purposes

Interior panels - yea they do mark up easily, especially the silver trim around the shifter. also has a fair share of rattles namely around the a pillars (a little foam padding between the base of the a pillar and windshield took care of that)

MPG - get an average of 10L/100km with a 60/40 mix of hwy and city (94 octane chevron)

Car running like shit: no issues here

Factory stereo - pretty barebones with a small screen, also takes sometimes to get sattelite lock, but sound quality is not bad
- either switch to another pioneer unit (newer models are nearly Plug and play with existing harness)

I've owned the car since Nov 2010 and I now have nearly 26,000 kms

Iceman-19 01-18-2012 04:04 AM

I am thinking I'm going to do with the regular sti package. 4k for what you get doesn't seem worth it to me....
Posted via RS Mobile

Expresso 01-18-2012 09:14 AM

Didn't Subaru make some suspension changes in 2012? Anybody have info on that?

jasonturbo 01-18-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiSix (Post 7765934)
Didn't Subaru make some suspension changes in 2012? Anybody have info on that?

2011 MY got the suspension changes, spring rates, sway bars, bushings, and pillow ball mount for LCA.

People say it was a hugh improvement over <2011 MY cars... but my 2011 still handled like garbage from the factory IMO.

belka 01-18-2012 12:23 PM

Nothing has changed really since 04 except minor changes such as bolt pattern, minor interior 'upgrades' and of course the exterior body. The best years, stock, have always been the 05/06 models.

death_blossom 01-19-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belka (Post 7766109)
Nothing has changed really since 04 except minor changes such as bolt pattern, minor interior 'upgrades' and of course the exterior body. The best years, stock, have always been the 05/06 models.

you couldn't be any more wrong

kuldud 01-19-2012 11:52 AM

go to nasioc.com.

you'll learn all about the pro's and con's of owning an STI.

i had an 06 STI and i enjoyed driving it. i wouldn't recommend modding it and driving it
everyday though.

belka 01-19-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuldud (Post 7767306)
i had an 06 STI and i enjoyed driving it. i wouldn't recommend modding it and driving it
everyday though.

Why the hell not? I have a heavily modded STI...from turbo swap to coilovers to fender flares, etc and I drive it every day without issue. Those who don't drive it every day are just looking for excuses.

Iceman-19 01-19-2012 03:19 PM

I wouldn't be driving it everyday. Pretty set on a 2012 sedan in white, wangless.
Posted via RS Mobile