REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Interior vinyl repairs (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661279-interior-vinyl-repairs.html)

taylor192 01-14-2012 06:45 PM

Interior vinyl repairs

My thread from Jan 12 was lost, yet I figured I'd provide an update for anyone that may search.

I have a rip in my drivers armrest (~1 cm long) and a little bit of damage to my centre console (~2cm scratch) so I asked for recommendations to fix it. One of the recommendations was FibreNew, and their website allows submission of pictures for a quote.

The quote I got was $125 per repair (plus tax). Considering my car is worth maybe $6K, ~$300 is a lot to drop to fix a couple minor issues.

Anyone had success with the DIY kits? The repair just has to be good enough to sell the car, not perfect.

Gridlock 01-14-2012 08:11 PM

What kind of car is it?

Is finding a replacement piece from another car an option? It's usually hit or miss-if its a wear item, then everyone else's has worn the same, but if its a stupidity thing, then its a pretty easy way to repair.

taylor192 01-14-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7761215)
What kind of car is it?

Is finding a replacement piece from another car an option? It's usually hit or miss-if its a wear item, then everyone else's has worn the same, but if its a stupidity thing, then its a pretty easy way to repair.

2003 C-class Mercedes.

The centre console is $200 brand new, and the door armrest can only be acquired with an entire door panel (way too much $$$!). I asked a couple local junk yards and its the same issue, the centre console is $100+ and the entire door panel must be bought.

My car has 200K kms on it (just rolled over this Weds!) so its worth very little (who wants a 200K kms Mercedes!), yet I was hoping for $100 I could fix a couple little things that might make it sell faster.

Nightwalker 01-14-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7761301)
2003 C-class Mercedes.

The centre console is $200 brand new, and the door armrest can only be acquired with an entire door panel (way too much $$$!). I asked a couple local junk yards and its the same issue, the centre console is $100+ and the entire door panel must be bought.

My car has 200K kms on it (just rolled over this Weds!) so its worth very little (who wants a 200K kms Mercedes!), yet I was hoping for $100 I could fix a couple little things that might make it sell faster.

I've had some luck finding used parts through this:
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

I buy most of my stuff through whichever message forum is the biggest for the platform.