REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Bagged suspension vs adjustable coilover vs changing the springs (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661414-bagged-suspension-vs-adjustable-coilover-vs-changing-springs.html)

kunoman1 01-16-2012 06:15 PM

Bagged suspension vs adjustable coilover vs changing the springs

Hey guys so was just wondering the pros and cons and your opinions.

To drop a car is it worth it to spend the extra amount for bagged suspension or would it be more viable to buy some adjustable coilovers...or would any of you suggest to just buy springs and change them depending on the season.

Neva 01-16-2012 06:28 PM

Get a decent set of adjustable coilovers that you feel you can live with on the street and you're golden.

Springs will usually give you a shittier ride because they're not matched with the right strut but next to chopping springs it's the way to do it on the cheap.

I've used blown suspension that sagged low, chopped springs, lowering springs and coilovers and by FARRRR coilovers win. I actually liked the ride much better than stock even for daily'ing.

pros
-stiffer
-better handling
-no more 4x4 status
-ride height adjustability pretty easily

cons
-stiffer (more stiff = less comfort)

91civicZC 01-16-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunoman1 (Post 7763547)
Hey guys so was just wondering the pros and cons and your opinions.

To drop a car is it worth it to spend the extra amount for bagged suspension or would it be more viable to buy some adjustable coilovers...or would any of you suggest to just buy springs and change them depending on the season.

You need to be more specific about what your goals are for anyone to give you a proper opinion on what would work for you.

Just looking to lower the car by about an inch? Go with lowering springs.

Looking for handling and performance as well as lowering? Get a proper coilover setup by a quality suspension company. Call them and explain your needs and they can help you to the product best suited to you.

Looking to can the crap out of the car, ride and handling be damned? Get a cheapo coilover kit and can it.

Looking to have something that can sit on the ground, then raise by an inch or so and drive away without being very concerned about handling? Get an air bag setup.

It sounds like you want to be low in the summer and high in the winter. Changing springs each season will get tedious, but you can do it. A coilover would probably be a better option, but remember that you will only have about an inch adjustment in most setups before you will need another alignment (depending on vehicle).

kunoman1 01-17-2012 10:29 AM

Good point - A low looking sleek ride that doesn't seriously compromise performance and handling is what I'm looking for.

But also on a relatively limited budget.

I like the idea of adjusting the ride height with the season so it can be both a daily driver and occasionally a track car or just "something that looks nice"

Phil@rise 01-17-2012 11:25 AM

Its never cheap to bag a car well but sooo much nicer when done right.

brakedust 01-19-2012 09:19 PM

if you want to be for show and hardpark at the timmy ho's then bags. Sounds like if you are even considering them you'll never track your car. If you want to have a real car then coil overs. I've got Megan Ez streets and can't complain one bit.

Supafly 01-20-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brakedust (Post 7768071)
if you want to be for show and hardpark at the timmy ho's then bags. Sounds like if you are even considering them you'll never track your car. If you want to have a real car then coil overs. I've got Megan Ez streets and can't complain one bit.

We all drive a "real car".....besides, Megan products is nothing worth mentioning about....they're just as good as replica ebay parts.

brakedust 01-20-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supafly (Post 7768453)
We all drive a "real car".....besides, Megan products is nothing worth mentioning about....they're just as good as replica ebay parts.

Didn't mean to offend. Just bags aren't as good as a coil setup for driving. More for show IMO. My Megans are a great adjustable coil set up for 700.00

Phil@rise 01-20-2012 02:06 PM

Bags cant be compared to Megans. Megans can barely be compared to Monroe lol. A well sorted bag settup can handle well and drive nice and hardpark at the timmy hoes.

MindBomber 01-20-2012 02:12 PM

Megans might feel like they perform well, but the true measure of a good suspension isn't feel, it's a shock dyno graph.

brakedust 01-20-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 7768849)
Bags cant be compared to Megans. Megans can barely be compared to Monroe lol. A well sorted bag settup can handle well and drive nice and hardpark at the timmy hoes.

True enough. I was thinking price was a factor for him as it was for me.

Phil@rise 01-23-2012 10:03 AM

I'm sure price is a factor as it always is.

kaimana 01-27-2012 01:44 PM

true

Expresso 01-27-2012 11:27 PM

Nothing wrong with bags especially if its your daily driver.

But don't bags usually cost 2-3 times more than a typical coilover?