REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   RCMP Chopper Crash at Cultus Lake (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661479-rcmp-chopper-crash-cultus-lake.html)

k2_alpha 01-17-2012 04:03 PM

RCMP Chopper Crash at Cultus Lake

Quote:

CHILLIWACK (NEWS1130) - An RCMP helicopter pilot is dead following a crash during a training exercise near Cultus Lake this afternoon.

Bill Yearwood with the Transportation Safety Board (TSB) says the pilot was the only person in the chopper.

"He had just taken off and ran into trouble," he tells News1130.

Yearwood says he crashed hard.

He was taken to Chilliwack Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The TSB won't be sending an investigator to the site of the crash today, saying that will be left up to the Mounties.

There is no word yet on what caused the crash.

News1130's Kim Seale flew toward Cultus Lake in the Air Patrol, and says the weather was so treacherous they couldn't stay close to the crash site for long.

"The storms are still out here and in this area we've got a lot of bad weather," she says. "Visibility-wise you can't even see through that area."

Once the snow cleared a bit she saw investigators arriving on the scene.

RCMP have scheduled a news conference for 5 p.m. in Vancouver.
RCMP pilot dies in helicopter crash near Cultus Lake - News1130

GabAlmighty 01-17-2012 05:21 PM

Wow, 3 hours ago there were TCU's in Abbotsford. What a fool of a pilot, assuming the crash happened within a few hours of 3pm. Ceilings were around 2500' so you can only do low level training.

Still RIP, but I mean you gotta know your limits.

"There are many old pilots and there are many bold pilots, but there very few bold and old pilots".

jimzilla 01-17-2012 05:52 PM

The pilot must have been pretty experienced to be able to be flying choppers for the RCMP. Most likely ex-military. Just a thought.

RIP.

BillyBishop 01-17-2012 06:55 PM

You can have an immense amount of skill,
years upon years of experience,
and excellent judgement...

But when shit goes wrong, you're sometimes at the mercy of Lady Luck.

RIP, DB, and my condolences to those who knew him.

I lost a friend in the C185 crash in Fort St John in early December. He was an admirable man who inspired many and one of the last people I who I thought would die like that. A very skilled pilot.

BMW M5 01-17-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 7764930)
Wow, 3 hours ago there were TCU's in Abbotsford. What a fool of a pilot, assuming the crash happened within a few hours of 3pm. Ceilings were around 2500' so you can only do low level training.

Still RIP, but I mean you gotta know your limits.

"There are many old pilots and there are many bold pilots, but there very few bold and old pilots".

report is not even out yet, who knows if its mechanical or human error. stop trying to make it sound like u are so smart because I am pretty sure the RCMP is not going to hire some rookie to fly for them.

MindBomber 01-17-2012 07:03 PM

Rip

murmur 01-17-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

RMCP Chopper Crash at Cultas Lake
fix the title man, it's RCMP Chopper Crash at Cultus Lake.

TheKingdom2000 01-17-2012 07:27 PM

This was a training exercise?
So the pilot was in training? or just getting some hours in?

Kinda silly they would hold a training session during the conditions they mentioned?
That's pretty sad.

RIP

BillyBishop 01-17-2012 07:31 PM

Two more articles:

Pilot dead after RCMP chopper crashes in Cultus Lake

Pics
RCMP Helicopter crash - BC News - Castanet.net

GabAlmighty 01-17-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW M5 (Post 7765128)
report is not even out yet, who knows if its mechanical or human error. stop trying to make it sound like u are so smart because I am pretty sure the RCMP is not going to hire some rookie to fly for them.

First off, learn to fucking spell. Secondly, I'm not "trying" to sound smart. I'm making my decisions based on a VERY quick look at what the weather was around 1500, which would constitute "afternoon". Based upon that I have determined that it definitely didn't look like a good time to go flying. Furthermore, it was snowing like a mofo in the valley today and the freezing level was at the surface. Now, flying through "most" snow will not result in icing. But if you go through any cloud when the freezing level is bellow you, you're going to pick up ice. Icing on the wings of a plane can increase drag by 40% and decrease lift by 60% (or the other way around can't recall right now). Helicopters are even more fucked than that in ice.

And no, I'm sure he wasn't a rookie pilot (I hear it's pretty tough to get in with the rcmp for pilots) but everyone makes mistakes and to me this seems like one of those times.

Alas, I could be completely wrong and there could have been a nice pocket of airspace over cultus lake and that it may have just been a mechanical failure.

Furthermore, this is just my opinion. I don't really mind if you don't believe it's just what I think. Obviously condolences go out to the family as it's always a tough thing to go through. The only good that can be taken from this is that he passed on doing what he loved, I can only hope I'll be as lucky.

edit: on another note, I was supposed to go wheelin in the area that he crashed...

zulutango 01-17-2012 07:56 PM

Training sessions sounds like it was with E.R.T. (SWAT) and the pilot was returning to base after it was completed. The training was likely for ERT and not the pilot in particular. I've flown a fair amount of time in the JAFO seat in Force choppers on both coasts and they fly in conditions that civillian planes are grounded. Like other aspects of Police work, often you have to run towards the danger that others are fleeing. You also have to train in tough conditions if you are to be able to do so in real emergencies. So very sorry to hear of the tragedy. Unfortunately this is not the first time a Force plane has crashed killing those on board.

shawnly1000 01-17-2012 08:34 PM

Apparently the ERT guys extracted the pilot and transported him; "Cultus Lk helicopter crash pilot being transported Code-3 by #RCMP #ERT w/paramedic to #Chilliwack General Hospital." - ScanBC

PiuYi 01-17-2012 09:26 PM

NOTAM for the area said the runways at chilliwack airport were closed due to snow until at least 2pm... gives you an idea how bad the conditions were

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 7764930)

great quote

seakrait 01-17-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murmur (Post 7765171)
fix the title man, it's RCMP Chopper Crash at Cultus Lake.

i'll do it because it's bothering me too much.

RIP to the pilot and condolences to the pilot's family and friends.

Lomac 01-18-2012 12:00 AM

Sorry, something that's bothering me:

Training exercise =/= Pilot training

RIP to the pilot.

zulutango 01-18-2012 06:31 AM

ERT Teams train on a regular basis and they execute all kinds of scenarios including the use of aircraft. Based on my experience, it is unlikely that the primary purpose of the exercise was to train the pilot and was more likely to train ERT. There are numerous ERT Teams and only a few pilots.

Update: Helicopter Crash

Share |

2012-01-17 20:46 PST
The RCMP can now confirm that the name of the pilot is David (Dave) Brolin. He was 46 years old and joined the RCMP in June 2006.

originalhypa 01-18-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7765255)
Unfortunately this is not the first time a Force plane has crashed killing those on board.

I've never seen one go down before, which is why this story was so shocking. You just don't expect to see a chopper with RCMP colors smashed on the ground.

RIP to the pilot :(

zulutango 01-18-2012 10:28 AM

We lost a chopper and 2 occupants on Vancouver Island a few years ago. Their pictures are on the wall in Courtenay Detachment.