REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Canadian freestyle skier Sarah Burke passed away (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661597-canadian-freestyle-skier-sarah-burke-passed-away.html)

LSF22 01-19-2012 01:37 PM

Sucks to hear :(

RIP Sarah. Prayers to your friends and family.

murd0c 01-19-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7seven (Post 7767358)
RIP, at least she died doing what she loved doing.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

RIP

Durrann 01-19-2012 02:05 PM

RIP

Phat_R 01-19-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 7767439)
World class skier but when you google image search her name you don't see any pictures of her skiing just her FMM spread . sad.

here is a nice video tribute vancouver sun did

Video: Tribute for Canadian freestyle skier Sarah Burke

InvisibleSoul 01-19-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooface55 (Post 7767437)
I don't think this matters. You would pay anything for a family members life.

RIP

While that's true, and it'd be worth every penny if it helped save her life, it sucks when all that money is spent and in the end, it didn't help. You end up with both a lost daughter and serious financial problems.

MindBomber 01-19-2012 02:27 PM

RIP a great loss

Vansterdam 01-19-2012 02:30 PM

rip

wuuhoo 01-19-2012 02:30 PM

RIP :(

hypercube 01-19-2012 04:14 PM

RIP

Noir 01-19-2012 04:32 PM

I was following this closely. I was really hoping she would pull through. RIP

Jermyzy 01-19-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 7767356)
Fuck shitty, her family incurred almost 600,000 in medical expenses
Posted via RS Mobile

RIP

But did she not have insurance? I would think most athletes would carry some form of insurance if training in another country?

OTG-ZR2 01-19-2012 06:07 PM

RIP

At least it happened while doing something she loved.
Posted via RS Mobile

MR_BIGGS 01-19-2012 06:13 PM

Wasn't she one of the lead advocates to get x-country skiing into the Olympics?

RIP.

lilaznviper 01-19-2012 06:56 PM

RIP

For anyone who wants to donate some money and help her family pay for the medical bill

https://www.wepay.com/donations/sarah-burke

Hondaracer 01-19-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyzy (Post 7767687)
RIP

But did she not have insurance? I would think most athletes would carry some form of insurance if training in another country?

thats what you would have thought when your taining in the super pipe.. but obviously not, maybe cant be insured as such an athlete? but that wouldnt make much sense..

btw, when I originally posted the money figure, i didnt mean it as "yea she's dead, and now her family is fucked" i meant it more to draw awareness to how much they are out now along with such a tragic event

El Bastardo 01-19-2012 07:13 PM

RIP

2damaxmr2 01-19-2012 09:17 PM

Yeah rip

murd0c 01-19-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7767525)
While that's true, and it'd be worth every penny if it helped save her life, it sucks when all that money is spent and in the end, it didn't help. You end up with both a lost daughter and serious financial problems.

Keeping her alive actually did help a lot of people. They donated all of her Organs and with her being kept alive I'm sure they lined up recipients and she helped save a number lives by giving her's.

It's a sad story yes no questions asked but she at least gets to live on in others.

Tokemon 01-19-2012 10:07 PM

RIP.........was thinking that she would pull through

noots 01-19-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS (Post 7767801)
Wasn't she one of the lead advocates to get x-country skiing into the Olympics?

RIP.

She was probably the biggest driving force to get it (especially women's) into the Olympics. It's a shame that she'll never get the chance to compete in something she fought so hard for.

7seven 01-20-2012 08:04 AM

For those wondering about insurance. So far Monster Energy has not said anything about their insurance and it would appear that Burke herself did not purchase her own insurance.

Quote:

While the Canadian Freestyle Ski Association carries insurance for all its athletes, the policy does not cover athletes competing in events that are not a sanctioned part of the association’s program. In this case, Burke was taking part in an event put on by sponsor Monster Energy.

Peter Judge, the CEO of CFSA, said he would be surprised if Monster, which sponsors many action sports events in the U.S., did not have some kind of insurance coverage.

Judge said there may be “some portals and avenues” for the CFSA to assist the family, adding that the organization has received several offers of help from the likes of the Canadian Olympic Committee, the International Olympic Committee and even the Russian ski federation.
Sarah Burke's death has family facing heavy medical costs | Sports | National Post

MindBomber 01-20-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilaznviper (Post 7767867)
RIP

For anyone who wants to donate some money and help her family pay for the medical bill

https://www.wepay.com/donations/sarah-burke

I made a $20 donation.

I hope others on RS make a donation as well.

If every Canadian who is saddened by her families loss donated a dollar the bill would be paid for many times over.

BaBiE_Bee 01-20-2012 09:21 AM

RIP

Gh0stRider 01-20-2012 03:00 PM

$550,000 in hospital costs????

OMG!

lilaznviper 01-20-2012 03:28 PM

statement from monster energy

Sarah Burke: Ski in Peace

Quote:

JAN 20, 2012
Sarah Burke: Ski in Peace

Our deepest condolences go to Sarah’s husband, parents, family and friends and all who knew this talented athlete. All of us at Monster are deeply saddened by this tragedy.

Sarah was a freeskiing pioneer, a five-time X Games gold medalist and an inspiring, all-around role model, who was instrumental in helping to bring freestyle ski events to the Winter Olympic Games. Sadly, the accident occurred during the course of Sarah’s training, alongside other athletes, for upcoming winter competitions.

As soon as we learned about the accident, we offered uninterrupted support to Sarah and her family. Without hesitation, we will continue to support Sarah’s family, are working directly with them to assess their needs and are committed to helping them financially.

As a company, we are privileged to work with the world’s top athletes. Sarah epitomizes the essence and spirit of why we do what we do.
looks like monster energy drinks is going to help the family out