REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Battery Discharged after storage (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661689-battery-discharged-after-storage.html)

matrixfwd 01-21-2012 12:28 PM

Battery Discharged after storage

So I had my car parked in the garage since September but when I tried to start it, it won't crank. I took the battery to Canadian tire who tested it and said it's gone bad.

Question is, should I try to charge it before doing a warranty exchange at Costco?

The battery still has 40% of the 100 month warranty remaining so I'd get like $25 back. But if the battery can be resurrected, I'd rather continue using it as I'd need to fork up extra $50 for a warranty replacement.

Spectre_Cdn 01-21-2012 12:50 PM

You could get a 'battery tender' or similar product to charge the battery back to full capacity.
Posted via RS Mobile

civicyvr 01-21-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrixfwd (Post 7769733)
So I had my car parked in the garage since September but when I tried to start it, it won't crank. I took the battery to Canadian tire who tested it and said it's gone bad.

Question is, should I try to charge it before doing a warranty exchange at Costco?

The battery still has 40% of the 100 month warranty remaining so I'd get like $25 back. But if the battery can be resurrected, I'd rather continue using it as I'd need to fork up extra $50 for a warranty replacement.

Try charging it first. I've had CT tell me battery was bad when it wasn't.

godwin 01-21-2012 02:37 PM

Not always.. it depends what's wrong with it.. eg if it is out of electrolyte or busted cells..

Battery Tender only desuphalate the battery, but it dry out the battery when doing that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn (Post 7769767)
You could get a 'battery tender' or similar product to charge the battery back to full capacity.
Posted via RS Mobile

gretzky 01-21-2012 07:05 PM

my battery died also, should we get a battery charger or something? or just jump start it?

gretzky 01-21-2012 08:32 PM

is this a good enough charger? MotoMaster Automatic 10/2A Battery Charger | Canadian Tire

i am thinking of getting this thing to charge up my battery till its out of storage in spring time, i have never used a charger before but im guessing its the same thing as a battery "tender" as the guy said in the second post??

would be so much easier to charge the battery instead of jump starting it and then letting the car run for 30 minutes to charge the battery up

godwin 01-21-2012 09:18 PM

The problem is if you run the battery too low, the battery chemistry just won't accept the amount of power especially at low amps from a battery charger you are feeding it. It really depends on how far the equilibrium point of the battery electrolyte had changed.

With some marginal battery.. even if you jump start and say drive the car from YVR to Hope and back.. The battery will hold the charge during the car is on, but the battery will still discharge itself after a few days because the battery chemistry can only store the power for a while, after that the equilibrium falls back.

Honestly it is a payoff issue.. a new battery is about $100 (even an OE Varta one for a BMW).. a charger is about $30-$75.. with the question of the status of each battery cell and the age of the battery is unknown.. sometimes it is just cheaper and easier to get a new battery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gretzky (Post 7770155)
is this a good enough charger? MotoMaster Automatic 10/2A Battery Charger | Canadian Tire

i am thinking of getting this thing to charge up my battery till its out of storage in spring time, i have never used a charger before but im guessing its the same thing as a battery "tender" as the guy said in the second post??

would be so much easier to charge the battery instead of jump starting it and then letting the car run for 30 minutes to charge the battery up

godwin 01-21-2012 09:22 PM

Among what CT sells only CTek one has the desulfate function

Benefits | CTEK Battery Chargers

Quote:

Originally Posted by gretzky (Post 7770155)