REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   雞蛋仔 Egg waffles (https://www.revscene.net/forums/662106-egg-waffles.html)

6793026 01-28-2012 10:01 PM

雞蛋仔 Egg waffles

Sorry guys, but I don't know what the official is in English.

I'm looking for the recipe. YES i know there's something call the internet / youtube but I've tried and didn't quite find one that was successful? Trust me, I know people just google and say "here you go". Well, I want one that you have actually tried and have yield good results?

Anyone know what's in the batter?
http://labofedibles.files.wordpress....2699.JPG?w=468

yes and I know I need this
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/164/4...c18e7b3c04.jpg

Lamboda 01-29-2012 12:12 AM

Asians generally love these things. I'm not saying all, but most of my friends love these especially the girls :). Can't wait for Night Market again!

ShadowBun 01-29-2012 12:13 AM

dont they sell these batters in T&T?

dyan 01-29-2012 12:17 AM

Egg Puffs (also called as Gei Dan Jai, Egg Waffles, Eggettes or in Chinese 雞蛋仔) is a Hong Kong style waffle usually made and sold by street hawkers and eaten warm on the street. They are crisp on outside with a little layer of doughy-creamy texture on the inside, but the bubbles are hollow.

Egg, sugar and evaporated milk are used in the Egg Puffs recipes, giving them a sweet flavor. They are generally soft and not dense. Traditional Egg Puffs are full of the flavor of yolk. Sometimes different flavors, such as chocolate and honey melon flavor are used in the recipe and create various colors.

The batter is very thin and poured from the pitcher into Egg Puffs iron which is a two piece mold that is then closed and flipped around to distribute the batter.

The bags have little holes in them so as to prevent condensation from the heat.

Egg Puffs Recipes

Ingredient:

Flour : 4 ounces, Corn Starch : 1 ounce, Baking Powder : 1 teaspoon, Egg : 2, Granulated Sugar : 4 ounces, Evaporated Milk : 2 ounces, Water : 4 ounces

Method:

Sieve the flour, corn starch and baking powder first.
Mix the egg and the granulated sugar evenly. Then add the evaporated milk and water to the mixture little by little. Finally, add the powder. Keep stirring until the mixture becomes thick.
Heat your egg puff iron on the both sides, then rub some oil into the mold and pour the flour paste into it (80% full). Put the lid on the mold. Clamps the molds together tightly. Finally, heat both sides for 2 to 3 minutes until the egg puff is done.
Finally, use a fork to sort the egg puff out.

** You can found the Egg Puffs Iron from Shanghai Street.

If you don’t want do it yourself, you can found the best Egg Puffs in North Point which have a long queue outside. It cost about USD 2 which is more expensive the regular price which around USD 1.

Egg Puffs

6793026 01-29-2012 08:11 PM

not trying to be an ass big baddie..but I did mention specifically to have someone who would post up a recipe they have actually tried....

the website you got this from
1) the dude has never tried the recipe before; none of his pictures were from his own creations (at least for his 雞蛋仔)
2) none of the feedback were actually from people who has actually made it before
3) I've personally tried it and epic fail....
hence this post

q0192837465 01-31-2012 07:27 AM

The cattle cafe ones r the best in town I find. No other places match up in terms of both taste and texture
Posted via RS Mobile

Culverin 01-31-2012 07:53 AM

Do they have them at the metro location?
Posted via RS Mobile

too_slow 01-31-2012 08:16 AM

I have a hand written recipe (in Chinese). I'll try to find it and post it up.. Perhaps somebody can do a translation for us.. LOL

freakshow 01-31-2012 09:12 AM

Where would you buy the actual pan.. thing locally? and how much are they?

as for the bubble waffles, my wife and I prefer the ones at Bubble Waffle Cafe (next to Alleluia) over the Cattle Cafe ones.

rageguy 01-31-2012 09:17 AM

^ That place looks new. Is it good? I like how their name is bubble waffle.

dyan 01-31-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 7780760)
Where would you buy the actual pan.. thing locally? and how much are they?

as for the bubble waffles, my wife and I prefer the ones at Bubble Waffle Cafe (next to Alleluia) over the Cattle Cafe ones.

The actual pan i believe is pretty hard to find locally, however you can just find 2 molds that are similar shape as the pan and use them. I found one online if you're interested

Nordic Ware Egg Waffle Pan | Williams-Sonoma

freakshow 01-31-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageguy (Post 7780764)
^ That place looks new. Is it good? I like how their name is bubble waffle.

It's pretty new, 3-6 months old I think. I prefer their bubble waffles to Cattle Cafe, however they can be inconsistent. I would say they produce great ones about 80% of the time. We often pop in to grab a bag, and it's been a little over cooked some times. Definitely worth a try though.

TheNewGirl 01-31-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbaddie (Post 7780847)
The actual pan i believe is pretty hard to find locally, however you can just find 2 molds that are similar shape as the pan and use them. I found one online if you're interested

Nordic Ware Egg Waffle Pan | Williams-Sonoma

I wonder if you could just use the molds for donut holes for these.

bobbyhill 01-31-2012 02:57 PM

price on the egg waffles at bubble waffle cafe?

last time i had them they were still $3 but i'm assuming they've increased their price?

TRDood 01-31-2012 03:21 PM

I remember always getting them at the old Arberdeen. $3 each or $5 for two. I believe the owners have another shop either at Empire or the new Arberdeen. But haven't tried it ever since.

Unless you really want to make your own, making the batter from scratch and the mess the pan makes is not worth it.
Posted via RS Mobile

pastarocket 01-31-2012 04:01 PM

One of the best snacks to come from Hong Kong!

Ikkaku 01-31-2012 07:00 PM

It's not overly fun to make, and it can also come with a lot of disappointment :lol

the electric irons aren't very powerful, and the stove ones you need to be quite consistent. The consistency of your batter will also affect how well they come out. You have to time them perfectly or else either they'll burn, turn into a spongy cake texture, or isn't fully cooked.

Agreed with trdood, it really is a hassle to make unless you're doing it for a special somebody.

I think the one inside the old aberdeen was Sam's, who I don't think resides in Vancouver anymore. Don't see his places anymore.

freakshow 01-31-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyhill (Post 7781018)
price on the egg waffles at bubble waffle cafe?

last time i had them they were still $3 but i'm assuming they've increased their price?

They're $3.75 now

6793026 02-01-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too_slow (Post 7780725)
I have a hand written recipe (in Chinese). I'll try to find it and post it up.. Perhaps somebody can do a translation for us.. LOL

i read chinese, let me knwo and i'll translate. if the recipe works, I'll deliver a batch to you if u're in GVRD.

This goes for anyone... btw..

MsKimchi 02-21-2012 06:36 PM

Bubble Queen! They have over 12 flavors, but some flavors are kind of mediocre. And they take 15 mins when they are busy, but they have pretty good, crispy ones. :D

Durrann 02-24-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsKimchi (Post 7804734)
Bubble Queen! They have over 12 flavors, but some flavors are kind of mediocre. And they take 15 mins when they are busy, but they have pretty good, crispy ones. :D

I tied their white chocolate flavor one
It's guud
Posted via RS Mobile

vvd 03-14-2012 11:09 AM

Posted via RS Mobile