REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Formula 1 driver found guilty for cutting a CEOs neck (https://www.revscene.net/forums/662250-formula-1-driver-found-guilty-cutting-ceos-neck.html)

StylinRed 01-31-2012 06:20 AM

Formula 1 driver found guilty for cutting a CEOs neck

put this story in a thread regarding formula 1 in auto chat but figured others may be interested as well who wouldnt normally look into F1

So there's this F1 driver named Adrian Sutil http://bilder.bild.de/fotos-skaliert...h=343.bild.jpg
who was at a party in China celebrating another drivers win (Lewis Hamilton) at the Chinese Grand Prix

Something happened at the party between he and the CEO of company called Genii (Eric Lux) http://richardsf1.com/wp-content/upl...05/EricLux.jpg
who own the Lotus F1 racing team

Adrian Sutil ended up "glassing" this CEO in the neck which led to him requiring 24 stitches (and supposedly he has a problem with hearing now *rumor* from the hit/cut )

this all happened about a year ago but it never reached court until now

(FYI Adrian Sutil no longer has a team to race for)

this is the result of the trial:

Quote:

Adrian Sutil gets suspended jail term

MUNICH -- Former Force India driver Adrian Sutil was convicted on Tuesday of causing grievous bodily harm to a Formula One team owner in a nightclub confrontation in China and given an 18-month suspended sentence.

The Munich district court handed down the verdict and sentence after a two-day trial. The prosecutors asked for a 21-month suspended sentence. Sutil also was fined $262,200, to be paid to charities.

"The defendant knew that he had this glass in his hand. The glass was moving in an intended direction," judge Christiane Thiemann said in her ruling.

Sutil was charged with causing grievous bodily harm to Renault team executive Eric Lux at a party following Lewis Hamilton's victory at the China Grand Prix in Shanghai on April 17. Lux needed two dozen stitches after being cut in the neck by a broken glass.

Sutil, in his final statement before the verdict, apologized once again to Lux and said he had not realized he was still holding the glass in his hand at the time of the incident.

"I regret the incident very much. It's a lesson for me," Sutil said.

Sutil's lawyer, Juergen Wessing, argued that Sutil's action was unintentional and a reflex, but prosecutor Nicole Selzam rejected it as "ridiculous."

After the verdict, Sutil said he was relieved that the case was over "and that I am in the clear with Eric Lux."

Sutil talked with Lux on Monday by telephone and another attempt to settle the case fell through on Tuesday before the verdict, according to the dapd news agency.

The German told the court Monday that he had "tried everything" to settle the case out of court, offering "tens of millions" and a charitable donation but was turned down by Lux.

"I'm terribly sorry. I never wanted what happened there to happen," Sutil said on the first day of the trial.

Sutil said last year he wanted only to spill his drink on Lux, who was part owner of the team now renamed Lotus, and that causing the injury was "unintentional and accidental."

The 29-year-old Sutil lost his seat at Force India after five seasons to fellow German Nico Hulkenberg in December.

Sutil's agent, Manfred Zimmermann, said he was hoping his client could land a deal next week to become a test driver for one of the Formula One teams.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
Adrian Sutil, former Formula One driver, convicted in incident at club - ESPN

he tried to pay Eric Lux off to end the trial and actually mentions it as if that's a good thing.. :lol

and the prosecution was only seeking a 21 month suspended sentence? and the judge only felt 18months was needed? for cutting a guys neck in anger? and people complain about our system being Lax

SkinnyPupp 01-31-2012 06:22 AM

Why couldn't he have "glassed" Vettel :ilied:

StylinRed 01-31-2012 06:33 AM

rofl

Nightwalker 01-31-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7780674)
he tried to pay Eric Lux off to end the trial and actually mentions it as if that's a good thing.. :lol

and the prosecution was only seeking a 21 month suspended license? and the judge only felt 18months was needed? for cutting a guys neck in anger? and people complain about our system being Lax

That says suspended sentence, not suspended license.

"Mr Sutil was given one year and six months on probation. He was also fined €200,000 which goes to charities of the court's choosing." (source)

StylinRed 01-31-2012 07:18 AM

yes i know i dunno why i typed license ;) must be the lack of sleep

kwy 01-31-2012 11:20 AM

So much fucked up shit happens in F1, I honestly don't care anymore. When the politics take over the sport, it's not worth following.

Vette Dood 01-31-2012 11:50 AM

I don't understand why something that happened in China is tried in Germany....

marksport 01-31-2012 03:29 PM

How come this was prosecuted in a German court when the incident occurred in China?

StylinRed 02-01-2012 12:24 AM

they're german nationals and the Genii CEO decided to make the claim in Germany

many countries can prosecute you for crimes you've committed abroad

even Canada recall a recent case where a couple of hells angels associates/members on the east coast beat an officer into a pulp in Mexico but they were tried here

http://www.cjad.com/CJADLocalNews/en...tryID=10315196

HonestTea 02-01-2012 02:32 AM

Oh Hamilton LOL

Sutil: Lewis is a coward | Planet F1 | Formula One News

Quote:

Adrian Sutil has slated Lewis Hamilton following his assault trial, branding the McLaren driver a "coward" and saying he no longer regards him as a friend.

Sutil was on Tuesday found guilty of causing bodily harm to Lotus co-owner Eric Lux following a brawl at a nightclub in Shanghai last year. He was handed a suspended 18-month prison sentence and a €200 000 fine by a Munich court.

The 29-year-old, who was dumped by Force India for the 2012 F1 season, has admitted that he could "take some time out" and "do something completely different".

Sutil also slammed Hamilton, who was with him when the incident took place, after the 2008 World Champion failed to give evidence at his trial on Monday and Tuesday due to commitments with McLaren.

Hamilton, who had been friends with Sutil since he made his F1 debut, said in a written statement to the court that he could not remember the details clearly.

"Lewis is a coward, I don't want to be friends with someone like that," Sutil is quoted as saying by Germany's Bild.

Sutil said that Hamilton was "not a man" adding that "even his father sent me an SMS wishing me luck" for the court case but "from Lewis there was nothing".

StylinRed 02-01-2012 02:46 AM

yeah Lewis was supposed to be called as a witness but he told the court he had "commitments" to McLaren on the dates of the trial

he got a lot of flak for that already guess now he'll get more :lol

I guess Sutil was hoping Hamilton lie for him since Ham is used to that sort of thing ;)