REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Contacting Previous Owner Through Dealership? Also, Flashpro Question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/662942-contacting-previous-owner-through-dealership-also-flashpro-question.html)

KO7 02-12-2012 11:28 AM

Contacting Previous Owner Through Dealership? Also, Flashpro Question

Has anyone of you ever bought a used car through a dealership and attempted to obtain the previous owner's info?

I recently purchased a 2010 Civic Si Sedan through Richmond Honda. It looks cosmetically factory stock, nothing inside or out was changed. The only thing that I'm wondering about, is whether or not this car was tuned with Flashpro already. Bone stock, they're supposed to engage VTEC at 5600rpm. Through my untrained and inexperienced (first VTEC car) ears and "butt-dyno", it sounds and feels like SOMETHING kicks in around 4800rpm and nothing else noticeable changes at higher rpms. Also, the infamous "rev-hang" is very subdued in my car and seems to have been tweaked from factory (from what I read about rev-hang anyway).

Even before taking delivery of the car, I was expecting to want to get it Flashpro tuned anyway to lower the VTEC point. The car has been exceptionally quick in city day-to-day driving for my needs already though because of the suspected lowered VTEC point. No wonder my gas mileage isn't as good as I expected, I may be hitting VTEC daily and often. I'm going to take a video for you guys and you can tell me if it's at 4800rpm or the stock 5600rpm when it engages.

Back to my original point, I'm guessing it's a privacy issue in the dealership not giving out the previous owner's info, but would still love to have a chat with the previous owner anyway.

Perhaps the previous owner is here on RS... :considered:

bluejays 02-12-2012 11:52 AM

Could possibly be a reflash, double check your ECU. Any bolt on basics on the car (I/H/E)? Also what's the rev limit at?

Bender Unit 02-12-2012 12:49 PM

post your question in here as well
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
You may have better luck find the previous owner.

Dealership have no right to give out previous owner info. to anyone.

hirevtuner 02-12-2012 12:55 PM

did you check the previous service records and receipts? I bought my car used and it had all info of the previous owner

tiger_handheld 02-12-2012 02:32 PM

cant the dealership have the prev owner contact the new owner? If the previous owner is OK, he can get the number from the dealer and all is gravy

parm104 02-12-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7794469)
cant the dealership have the prev owner contact the new owner? If the previous owner is OK, he can get the number from the dealer and all is gravy

They usually don't do that...Although the owner may be cool about it, the dealership doesn't want to be the middleman contacting someone when they have no obligation to do so.

I was in a similar situation and simply did a car history report. The previous owners information was all over it. It may have been because it was a lease, but it's worth a shot.

KO7 02-12-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluejays (Post 7794350)
Could possibly be a reflash, double check your ECU. Any bolt on basics on the car (I/H/E)? Also what's the rev limit at?

No, there's no bolt-on mods at all, although I mistook the stock exhaust for an aftermarket one at first. Don't know if the rev-limit is modified as I haven't taken it up there yet.

I'll contact my salesguy, but it seems like it's gonna be no dice. Will post on 8thgencivic as well regarding flashpro questions.

Gridlock 02-12-2012 06:57 PM

Yeah, with something like this, you need to look at what is more likely going to happen.

Most likely: I want to give the previous owner a piece for rat-bagging my car.

Least Likely: I have service questions that the dealership does not have answers for.

Given the odds for most likely, no one is going to take that phone call.

crazyazn 02-13-2012 10:41 AM

Original VTEC: 5800rpm
Reflash VTEC: 4500rpm

If the crossover isn't at one of these points, then it's probably had Flashpro.

Another way to find out is to obtain a Flashpro and download the current calibration from your car and compare it to the stock calibration.

KO7 02-13-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyazn (Post 7795277)
Original VTEC: 5800rpm
Reflash VTEC: 4500rpm

If the crossover isn't at one of these points, then it's probably had Flashpro.

Another way to find out is to obtain a Flashpro and download the current calibration from your car and compare it to the stock calibration.

Hmm, it's definitely closer to 4500 than 5800. What is the reflash? Is it something other than with Flashpro? Am I able to borrow a Flashpro that's locked to another car in order to find the current calibration of my car?

SupraTTturbo2jz 02-13-2012 11:46 PM

carfax papers should have it. My carfax papers has original owner's info which I used to contact before to ask about part installations he did in the past.

falcon 02-14-2012 12:48 AM

Contact your salesman and ask. In the past, I had taken the new owners info and forwarded it to the P.O. and let them decide.