REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #51
Need to Seek Professional Help

The biggest problem with dog meat, cats, etc... in South East Asia is that a lot of the animals are kept in terrible conditions, stolen from houses, you name it.

As long as the animals are brought to my plate in a humane way then it is all good.

In Vietnam the dog nappers here have spears with electricity running through them. If these guys see a dog on the street they just spear it, the dog dies instantly and then they can get away easily.
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #52
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
My cousin was living in China for a bit, he went to a restaurant and they had dog on the menu. He was curious and wanted to try, so he ordered it. The guy comes to the table with 2 cute little puppies, one white, one black. Then says "which one do you want". He was absolutely disgusted and left the restaurant

...bunch of sick fucks

But at the same time, I eat so many animals on a daily basis so how can I really say "what I do is right, and what you do is wrong"
How is it different from choosing which lobster you want from a tank? How are they sick fucks?
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #53
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
My cousin was living in China for a bit, he went to a restaurant and they had dog on the menu. He was curious and wanted to try, so he ordered it. The guy comes to the table with 2 cute little puppies, one white, one black. Then says "which one do you want". He was absolutely disgusted and left the restaurant

...bunch of sick fucks

But at the same time, I eat so many animals on a daily basis so how can I really say "what I do is right, and what you do is wrong"
I would appreciate it if you could elaborate on the reasoning you have for referring to the restaurateurs as "sick fucks." Surely, your cousin didn't that the dog meat he ordered would come from an ugly puppy?

In my opinion, many people rely on a distinct mental separation between a living animal and the meat they consume to avoid experiencing moral or emotional conflicts with maintaining an omnivorous diet. Ask yourself, of the people you know who eat meat, how many would be capable of slaughtering and butchering an animal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
My question is do they like, walk into Petsmart and pick the cutest fluffiest puppy full of love in its eyes that just wants to be held and play fetch and love you forever and fry up that one in teriyaki sauce?

Or do they have farms full of dumbed down bred for food only dogs like we have beef and chickens here?
Chickens aren't very intelligent, but they still feel pain and suffer immensely as a result of the conditions they endure.

Cows are quite intelligent, I've probably spent more time around live stock than anyone else on RS.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #54
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I've had smoked dog meat ... I'm not even sure what it's supposed to taste like cuz it was kind of like jerky ... and overly salty lol ...

I've heard somewhere that you can even order Lion Meat!... interesting ...
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #55
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:

...bunch of sick fucks

LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #56
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@rise View Post
everytime I see a bunny hoppin along outside my shop I think mmmmmm tasty
my pet rabbits were soo smart, shockingly so
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #57
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
My question is do they like, walk into Petsmart and pick the cutest fluffiest puppy full of love in its eyes that just wants to be held and play fetch and love you forever and fry up that one in teriyaki sauce?

Or do they have farms full of dumbed down bred for food only dogs like we have beef and chickens here?
This is one of the big issues with dog meat. In Korea (which is where the article is focused) dogs for consumption should be bred and raised specifically for consumption, and indeed there are quite a number of farms. Unfortunately, because they are not legally designated as 'livestock' and are actually domestic animals, they are not covered by the laws which regulate the farming industry.

As a result, there are no laws that cover the conditions in which the animals should be bred, housed, fed, or slaughtered.

There are general laws which deal with "cruel treatment of animals", but they are laws which require specific complaints to be made, and not the laws which allow the government to inspect livestock farms.

The article mentions that in 2008 there was a push by legislators in Seoul (the capital city) to try and petition the national government to add dogs to the list of livestock so that the dog-meat industry could be more closely regulated. Unfortunately, due to the petitioning of animal rights groups, the law was struck down.

Burn.

To be fair as well, there are a number of places, often small towns, where pets or strays are captured for their meat. This is, one would hope, a less than common case. And if it were me...it wouldn't be worth it in terms of time cost to go out chasing wild dogs to feed my customers instead of just...buying a dog for meat. In fact, the tax branch has repeatedly said that the purchase of dog meat is (in terms of business costs) the same as buying chicken or pork.
Quote:
While I can't speak for every restaurant, this story seems kind of...dubious to me. If I order something, I want to eat it. If they were to offer me two live dogs to choose from, it would take time for them to slaughter, drain, skin, butcher and then cook. By the time they had done all that...I would probably have gotten food from another restaurant.

It just doesn't make sense to do that. Where's the logic?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #58
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:

They're specifically bred for consumption, just like any other meat. Can't speak for the conditions these animals are bred though.

Eating strays isn't unheard of either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Had snake for the first time a few weeks ago in china. The meat is very bony, but tastes good. The skin is the best part, it is slightly rubbery, but crispy.

Yum!

I remember when I was about 6 or 7, my grandpa brought me to have snake meat for the first time in a food stall in Taiwan.
From what I could recall, parts of it were tender, while most of it was chewy. Other than that, it wasn't particularly fantastic. It was boiled and you dip it in garlic soy-sauce.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #59
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Meeh, animals were meant to be eaten. I don't really see a difference between a cow and a dog. In some cultures the cow is not allowed to be consumed! That said, I would only eat dog if I were traveling to a rural village where it was the norm or if it was a matter of survival.
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #60
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:

...bunch of sick fucks

Well, that's like the staff bringing you two crabs or fish to choose from.
Personally, I'd pick the cuter one.
The cuter animal, the better it tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
The article mentions that in 2008 there was a push by legislators in Seoul (the capital city) to try and petition the national government to add dogs to the list of livestock so that the dog-meat industry could be more closely regulated. Unfortunately, due to the petitioning of animal rights groups, the law was struck down.

Burn.
Ouch. The irony of that is actually quite bitter.
Technically, I should be against eating dog. They are just a little too smart for me to be comfortable eating them. But I haven't had one yet.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #61
dlu
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I've heard somewhere that you can even order Lion Meat!... interesting ...
Lion meat: wild game, Czimer's Game & Seafood, Inc. Homer Glen, IL Large Game
Exotic Meats USA - Lion

I'd personally eat dog meat, but don't think I can handle seeing one being butchered and prepared in front of me unlike with other animals. Although there is an emotional attachment to dogs, categorizing whats on my plate as just another meal makes a lot easier to digest.
dlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #62
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlu View Post
Not surprisingly, that business has a very illicit pass.

Richard Czimer served six months in prison and paid a $116,000 for trafficking in endangered animal parts, the conviction was a result of an investigation in 1998. New accusations have been made within the last year, for the exact same conduct!

Attempts have been made on his life..
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #63
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
While I can't speak for every restaurant, this story seems kind of...dubious to me. If I order something, I want to eat it. If they were to offer me two live dogs to choose from, it would take time for them to slaughter, drain, skin, butcher and then cook. By the time they had done all that...I would probably have gotten food from another restaurant.

It just doesn't make sense to do that. Where's the logic?
When you go eat crab or lobster at a chinese restaurant, you pay by the pound for a live one.
When you go eat steak at The Keg, you choose the cut and size of steak you think you can eat.

I would reason that this is the same for dog. I am guessing a) you want a live dog b) one that isn't too old or too big c) not a stray that is riddled with fleas and disease?

As for the second point, if you want to eat crab, it takes time to kill it and clean it before cooking. If you really wanted live dog, I'm sure you would wait for it to be killed, drained, cleaned, and cooked as opposed to running to another restaurant to eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #64
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
that's oddly cheap for something exotic like Lion meat...
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #65
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #66
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
that's oddly cheap for something exotic like Lion meat...
The meat has very little value; ask yourself, how many people do you know dying to try lion meat?

The real money is in the illegal trade of exotic animal parts, like paws and hides, which is what the business owner was convicted of.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #67
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 10:47 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #68
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
"Sick Fuck" is referring to the people who take that live puppy to the sink, kill it, skin it, chop it into pieces and then serve it on top of rice. The guy doing it obviously has no issues with this, and probably does it on a daily basis. I have no issue when they show me a live lobster/crab/fish, but a live puppy seems a bit fucked up. It's probably because I have a dog and view it as a companion as opposed to a dish.
That's fine as long as you acknowledge that your view of them is equally as accurate (read: not very) as a vegetarian's view of you.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #69
My homepage has been set to RS

i don't care what i eat and would try dog. my criteria for meat is:

1. it's not dangerous to eat, based on studies
2. it's moderated such that the animals are farmed and don't go extinct etc.
3. studies have been conducted about affects of eating it, ie nutritional value, danger to health etc.

For example the japanese illegally killing nad eat free-range dolphins is wrong to me because:
1. they are extremely dangerous and contain levels of mercury such that generations are born with defects
2. dolphin populations are dangerously decreasing due to inproper regulation
3. not enough evidence of it being fully safe, as mentioned in #1
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #70
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 10:47 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #71
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsman View Post

As long as the animals are brought to my plate in a humane way then it is all good.
This!

As long as it was treated with respect and humanely, I have no issue.

Also, endangered species is definitely a no-no. I don't care how good that animal tastes, any near extinction should be outlawed.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #72
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
i don't care what i eat and would try dog. my criteria for meat is:

1. it's not dangerous to eat, based on studies
2. it's moderated such that the animals are farmed and don't go extinct etc.
3. studies have been conducted about affects of eating it, ie nutritional value, danger to health etc.

For example the japanese illegally killing nad eat free-range dolphins is wrong to me because:
1. they are extremely dangerous and contain levels of mercury such that generations are born with defects
2. dolphin populations are dangerously decreasing due to inproper regulation
3. not enough evidence of it being fully safe, as mentioned in #1
This is why I disapprove of people eating dolphins and shark fin.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #73
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Don't care what anyone says. Anything capable of showing such affection shouldn't be eaten assuming there are other options available. And if a culture decides it's socially acceptable to eat then any government who gives two fucks about morality will regulate it and do whatever it takes to ensure they are treated with respect and dignity as they deserve throughout the entirety of the slaughtering process.

Seeing my dog the day I got back from Afghanistan - YouTube
Posted via RS Mobile
RSXBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #74
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXBoii View Post
Don't care what anyone says. Anything capable of showing such affection shouldn't be eaten assuming there are other options available. And if a culture decides it's socially acceptable to eat then any government who gives two fucks about morality will regulate it and do whatever it takes to ensure they are treated with respect and dignity as they deserve throughout the entirety of the slaughtering process.

Seeing my dog the day I got back from Afghanistan - YouTube
Posted via RS Mobile
You realize cows are capable of showing affection. right?
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #75
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Explorers Club's Annual Black Tie Dinner

From National Georgraphic

Imperial Hotel Management College: Adventureous Diners, the Explorers Club

• North American Beaver, marinated and oven-roasted
• Roasted Honey-Glazed Tarantula
• Cajun-Spiced Tempura Tarantula
• North American Crickets, perched atop a celery stick filled with pepper jelly cream cheese
• Spiced Goat Cheese Scorpion Endive Float
• Roasted Cricket—herbed cream cheese toastettes
• Sushi—seaweed and sticky rice with pickled carrots, radishes and cucumbers, bursting with mealworms
• Musca Domestica sweet maize
• Musca Domestica Larvae mushroom caps
• Musca Domestica Carnivale—Filo pastry filled with muscoid larvae topped with honey and muscoid pupae
• Pickled Duck Dongue with goat cheese on raisin bread toast
• Skewered Scorpion Crudités
• Mealworms rising from escargot butter in a delicious puff pastry
• Brandy-Spiced Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches
• Roasted South American Ants with a dollop of seasoned crème fraiche on a cucumber boat
• Sautéed Earthworms
• Elk Bourguignon
• Oven Roasted Curried Spanish Goat Roasted Feral Hog—delicately rubbed with garlic, lemon, paprika and chili pepper
• Vertebrate Optic Globular Capsules—marinated in fine spirits and stuffed with olives and onions for our Exotic Explorer’s Martini
• Globular Optic Fritters, with a delicate gribliche sauce
• Asian Glazed Raccoon
• Alligator—delicately marinated, lightly glazed, barbecued, spiced and smiling
• Blankette of Alligator
• Succulent Rattlesnake—roasted and stewed with chipolte peppers
• Rosemary Herbed Rattlesnake Cakes with sour cream
• Rocky Mountain Oysters—prepared in a beer batter and served with chipolte aioli
• Rose Buds in champagne batter and orange, honey sauce
• Roasted Baby Zucchini with crispy flowers and fritters
• Edible Orchids—lightly glazed to hold in their delicate beauty
• Axis Deer Stew
• Braised Leg of Kangaroo
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: