REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Opening an Account with Shaw (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663308-opening-account-shaw.html)

JL23 02-18-2012 05:44 PM

Opening an Account with Shaw

Hey guys,

I just moved into a new place and need to start up an account with Shaw, which I hear is better than Telus, what is the best way to get a good deal with them? I am a new customer, do they offer any type of deals to new customers that they don't necessarily advertise. Any help would be appreciated. I basically want a TV and Internet bundle. Thanks for the help in advance.

JL

1exotic 02-18-2012 05:48 PM

Actually yeah there is a deal going around now.
$60/month for internet, TV, and phone.

Just got it done a few days ago.

Telus was about 4x more. Internet speed now and everything else seems about the same. More channels with Shaw though

fd3 02-18-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JL23 (Post 7801388)
Hey guys,

I just moved into a new place and need to start up an account with Shaw, which I hear is better than Telus, what is the best way to get a good deal with them? I am a new customer, do they offer any type of deals to new customers that they don't necessarily advertise. Any help would be appreciated. I basically want a TV and Internet bundle. Thanks for the help in advance.

JL

Pm me ur # i can hook up promotions:)
Posted via RS Mobile

Soundy 02-18-2012 05:56 PM

They've had all kinds of screamin' deals going on since about October... for new customers. No love for those of us who've been with them since... well, since Shaw first came to BC.

van_city23 02-18-2012 06:05 PM

they have some deals for students too if you're one or can get your hands on a post secondary id

JL23 02-18-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 7801396)
Actually yeah there is a deal going around now.
$60/month for internet, TV, and phone.

Just got it done a few days ago.

Telus was about 4x more. Internet speed now and everything else seems about the same. More channels with Shaw though

That's a pretty good deal. What type of internet did you get? Broadband 10? Broadband 50?

Psykopathik 02-18-2012 06:16 PM

they called me up and gave me sweet deal i think.

my existing channels + best of HD pack
home phone w/1 year NA long distance
HD cable box free for 6 months
Broadband 50Mbit internet
1/2 off for 6 months, after that $128 or so
i can buy out the HD box after the 6 months for $100, or return it, or just rent it for $4/month. NOte: PVR rental is $10/month.

previously i had Classic cable
7Mbit internet
$125/ month

I should note that London Drugs is selling the Shaw 500GB HD PVR for $198. its $349 @ Shaw. go pricematch at Futureshop for even bigger discount. HD tv fucking rules. its like watching a whole new TV.

Join their "Friends" online newsletter and get 2 Video On Demand Movies free and extra GB downloads/ months. if you use 2 services you get 25GB more/ month. all 3 gets you 50GB more/ month 50Mbit = 400GB/ month + 50GB = 450 GB/ month or 600GB/year.

be aware Shaw is pushing their new EXO network or whatever and the new Gateway/Portal cable systems. you need 2 different boxes to make it work. you'll be paying around $500 for the 2. the one at LD is the older DCX3400 model. still a very capable machine with optional Esata HDD add on ability.

quasi 02-18-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7801401)
They've had all kinds of screamin' deals going on since about October... for new customers. No love for those of us who've been with them since... well, since Shaw first came to BC.

Yup, reason I'll switch if I get the chance. No point in showing loyalty to either all it gets you is higher then average rates. I'd switch yearly for the intro rates if I was able.

They don't reward you for being a long term loyal customer they punish you. How awesome would it be if it worked like insurance? The longer you're with them the cheaper it gets. It would never happen for a hundred reasons but it would be nice.

MindBomber 02-18-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by van_city23 (Post 7801411)
they have some deals for students too if you're one or can get your hands on a post secondary id

Can anyone give more information on this?

JL23 02-18-2012 06:44 PM

Any free HD PVR deals kicking around?

hal0g0dv2 02-18-2012 07:58 PM

i canceled tv last month never used it, just internet
last week got a call for free tv for a year strings attached. win

wesamess 02-18-2012 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7801427)
Can anyone give more information on this?

You will need a post secondary ID and your schedule faxed to them or brought into a store. Just let them know you are looking for student pricing. I pay about $80 a month for extreme, HD, HD plus. I own my boxes.

This is what I pay.

sh0n 02-19-2012 07:29 PM

Usually if you are in a brand new building they will offer a good deal. (It's there way to get all the marketshare of a brand new building - i.e a building has 200 units = 200 more customers for them)

or

RFD and see what kind of current shaw deal there is.

cressydrift 02-19-2012 08:26 PM

This thread could not have come at a better time. I am in the exact same situation as the op. New account, and don't want to go with Telus.

I am going to call them tomorrow and I need some tips!!

I want decent speed internet with average upload/download (faster the better), and cable with HD. I have 1 regular hd shaw box, and the wife needs a pvr (she will cut my balls off if I dont get a pvr).

Meowjin 02-19-2012 08:37 PM

I pay 17 a month for my 25mb download package from shaw with my student id.

hsh4 02-20-2012 10:41 PM

ya the student deal for shaw is a really good deal. My bill was $205 and i just phoned them up about the student plan. They let me switch to the student plan but kept everything the same (same channels, same internet speed..etc) and im paying $110. (the extra $20 from extra Chinese channels and sports)

Tapioca 02-21-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh0n (Post 7802540)
Usually if you are in a brand new building they will offer a good deal. (It's there way to get all the marketshare of a brand new building - i.e a building has 200 units = 200 more customers for them)

or

RFD and see what kind of current shaw deal there is.

For people moving into brand new buildings, I wouldn't bother with Shaw at all. Novus should be available in most new buildings. Once you go Novus, you never go back.
Posted via RS Mobile