REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Dented exhaust (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663511-dented-exhaust.html)

DC5-S 02-22-2012 08:37 AM

Dented exhaust

My exhaust has been dented from hitting bumps etc on the road. Is the only way to fix it, to cut off the portion of exhaust and reweld a new piece? It's an expensive cat back so id rather not
Posted via RS Mobile

godwin 02-22-2012 11:53 AM

It depends on how it is hit.. any one with a stud weld nailgun can pull the dent out for you?

Phil@rise 02-22-2012 01:54 PM

Godwins right you could do that but that could be a fair bit more labor intensive and expensive then replacing the offending tube with the same materieal and bein good as new.

ts14 02-22-2012 01:55 PM

y not just lift the car a little bit

mnash 02-26-2012 11:19 AM

which part of exhaust is dented?

Mkhun 01-17-2017 10:37 AM

Bumping up old-ass thread.

MY exhaust can is dented due to recent tow while getting towed.

When the tow truck lifted my vehicle, the latch(?) from the truck pushed the exhaust can upwards and ended up denting it.

It's discontinued exhaust, so I really prefer to fix it rather than put another rice can/stock exhaust.

Can anyone recommend a good shop or a way to fix the dent on exhaust if possible please?

* No Muffler man, Quiet muffler please*

Thanks.

-M

Berzerker 01-17-2017 10:55 AM

If it's the actual muffler itself it will hard to repair. Piping is easy but the actual can is pretty difficult.

Berz out.

whitev70r 01-17-2017 10:57 AM

Dented muffler is probably the most annoying thing ... you know it doesn't affect anything but it just looks terrible. Every time you walk away from car and see it, it gnaws at you and you have this unsettling feeling like I have to get this thing fixed !!! It's the shitz.

godwin 01-17-2017 03:08 PM

The most cost efficient way is to buy the tools and do it yourself. Any shop will likely charge about the same if not more since shop rate is more than $100 these days.

1&2. Get a stud welder from Harbour Freight, it comes with 200 studs which will be more than enough for your use.
3. Slide hammer
4. Grinder to grind the stud off after repair
5. Misc bondo, heat paint, sand paper from CT ~50.

Remove the exhaust. Sand the dent to see bare metal. Use the stud welder to attach stud to the dent, then use slide hammer to pull out the dent. Once you are happy with the repair, grind off the stud, sand, prime and paint.

All said and done under $200USD for tools. Then you can "help" others on Revscene with the same problem.

or you can claim ICBC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkhun (Post 8817016)

* No Muffler man, Quiet muffler please*

Thanks.

-M

underscore 01-17-2017 03:14 PM

Depending on the style of the muffler, maybe have a shop cut it off and rotate it so the damaged part is hidden?