REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Shaw Home Phone Offer (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663551-shaw-home-phone-offer.html)

Eff-1 02-22-2012 08:55 PM

Shaw Home Phone Offer

So right now I have the shaw HD package (no extras like HBO or movie channels) and the regular shaw high speed. I pay about $125/month.

Today I got a phone call and they want me to sign up for the home phone. I have no need for the phone at all. But the deal is if I sign up for 3 months, they'll drop my monthly bill to $100/month. After three months, I can cancel the phone without any penalty and my bill stays at $100/month permanently.

Anyone else get this offer? Seems to good to be true to be honest. Is there some fine print I'm missing?

nns 02-22-2012 09:03 PM

What a joke.

I'm going to rationalize this somehow from Shaw's perspective:
Let's get people who don't need Shaw phone to sign up for Shaw phone, and tempt them by offering them a discount on their monthly bill. Offer them continued discounted service after 3 months regardless of triple play status or not. Make the customer take time out of their day to wait in some window (9am - 12 pm, 1pm - 5pm, 9am to infinity) to have a service they don't need installed. Shaw sends a tech come out to install a service for someone who won't even appreciate it. Shaw pays the (most-likely) UBE installer some ridiculous fee for the appt.

I don't get it. Seems too illogical because I don't see the part where Shaw makes money. Or maybe it's more important to Shaw to be able to brag to their shareholders what sort of marketshare they've got?

Gridlock 02-23-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 7806058)
What a joke.

I'm going to rationalize this somehow from Shaw's perspective:
Let's get people who don't need Shaw phone to sign up for Shaw phone, and tempt them by offering them a discount on their monthly bill. Offer them continued discounted service after 3 months regardless of triple play status or not. Make the customer take time out of their day to wait in some window (9am - 12 pm, 1pm - 5pm, 9am to infinity) to have a service they don't need installed. Shaw sends a tech come out to install a service for someone who won't even appreciate it. Shaw pays the (most-likely) UBE installer some ridiculous fee for the appt.

I don't get it. Seems too illogical because I don't see the part where Shaw makes money. Or maybe it's more important to Shaw to be able to brag to their shareholders what sort of marketshare they've got?

The secret.

I forget to cancel the phone.

Eff-1 02-23-2012 11:18 AM

haha trust me I won't forget. if there's one thing I don't need, it's a landline phone.

anyways I've gone ahead and booked the install. nobody else has received this offer?

Preemo 02-23-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7806424)
The secret.

I forget to cancel the phone.

This.

Happened to me when Telus offered me Superchannel HD for free for a month.

Forgot to cancel.

:rukidding:

FerrariEnzo 02-23-2012 10:36 PM

lol thats what these companys do.. then are leaning to the fact that you would forget and when you get the bill, they are like :fuckyea:

UFO 02-23-2012 10:57 PM

The catch is you're probably way overpaying at $125/mth for the last however long. Even at $100, you could probably do better. I'm not sure how good Shaw's retentions offers are nowadays, but they were poor when we switched to Telus 4 yrs ago. We only have landline and mid-speed internet, but I think we can add basic HD TV for about $60/month for all 3 services.

iPee 02-27-2012 12:45 AM

I've got the a similar offer. Currently I have shaw internet(not sure what speed) + basic cable w/chinese channels for $100/month. Shaw called and said they will reduce my bill to $70/month and upgrade my internet to broadband 50 + add on the shaw telephone service.

Sky_High 02-27-2012 01:00 AM

I'm not using any of Shaw's service, and got a call from them a month ago...
- Shaw High speed internet
- Shaw basic cable
- Shaw phone...
........all for something like $27-29 ish a month for the first year.

I kept asking the guy...so what's the price gonna be after the first 12 months are up,
And he's like...don't worry about it, one year later....just give us a call and we'll offer
you another promotion. Repeatedly asked him what's the 'normal' price going to be...and
he won't give me an answer, and just insist "come on...what are you waiting for???"

:fuckthatshit:

hk20000 02-27-2012 08:34 PM

:seriously: if 1 out of 10 customers forget to cancel they sold enough of that stuff. LOLZ.

Psykopathik 02-28-2012 11:23 AM

they are trying to block out other companies by equipping your house with their equipment first. Most people don't give a shit who their cable/phone provider is, just that its cheap. Also if you try it, maybe you'll like it.

but yeah, most people forget to cancel.
http://cdn.revscene.ca/forums/custom...atar2120_8.gif