REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   gears sticking and slight grinding (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663625-gears-sticking-slight-grinding.html)

kookoobird88 02-24-2012 12:56 PM

gears sticking and slight grinding

Hey

so just recently in the past 2-3 days, i have noticed that when shift from 1st to 2nd requires a bit of force to shift, almost as if its stuck in first then disloges, it also requires more force to get into to gear to sometimes. that being said two gears have started to have a slight grind when going into 3rd or 4th only this happens about 30% of the time. The gears used to shift very smoothly now it seems something has buggered up. any ideas before i take it in?

see.lai 02-24-2012 01:23 PM

try changing the fluid for your transmission; it might work..

Phil@rise 02-24-2012 01:42 PM

Trans oil low or clutch. Take care of it before you take out the syncros or bearings

Prolowtone 02-24-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 7808204)
Trans oil low or clutch. Take care of it before you take out the syncros or bearings

Unless they are already starting to go. But yes bleed you clutch, top up your fluids and or change your tansy oil

Soundy 02-24-2012 05:19 PM

Try using your clutch.

Phil@rise 02-24-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7808466)
Try using your clutch.

bahahahahabahahahaha

jerk

Soundy 02-24-2012 07:44 PM

http://trollface-mask.com/assets/ima...in-the-car.jpg

DiiCii 02-24-2012 08:06 PM

sounds like a clutch problem to me. could be air in the system causing clutch to not fully disengage, therefore requiring more force to put into gear. grinding is also a symptom of this as well! how does the pedal feel? check for fluid leaks on floorboard, firewall, and also check the slave cylinder. bleed the clutch

kookoobird88 02-24-2012 10:03 PM

actually when it started happening I did notice that the clutch required the same force but seemed to be grabbing almost as the pedal was fully released.
not this might have to do with it but, the clutch cable was also dislodged from its bracket under the hood which requires a decent amount of force to get in and out of place.
ill post what the problem was/is tomorrow evening

kookoobird88 02-28-2012 09:48 PM

well the guy drove it and couldnt feel anything....since it will happen probably 3-5 times over a 15 min drive. ive been trying to figure out when it really gets tuff to shift. down shifting....it will almost not even go into gear when down shifting even if rev matched.
clutch feels fine and no leaking that i can see
and im not sure about the air or bleeding since my car has cable clutch

Prolowtone 02-29-2012 12:27 AM

Not sure about how your shifter is but check to make sure any bolt are tight and the linkages are not binding on something like a heater hose

6o4allmotor 02-29-2012 01:40 AM

I had this happen to my integras more then once, what clutch are you running and do you notice its hard to get into gear when at a stop light? Check what everyone has stated already then try a new clutch cable if you have access to one, that is what stopped the issue on one of my da's.

Does the clutch pedal feel smooth or does it feel likes it catching on something when pushed and released ?

kookoobird88 02-29-2012 07:36 PM

its just a stock clutch, car has 190km

at a stop light yes sometimes i have to put it in third or 2nd then it will go into first
im gonna change the transmission fluid on friday

the pedal feels fine. but before it started grinding i thought i noticed that the clutch had a strange feel temporarily like it was catching almost with the pedal fully released. i dont drive the car hard, the occasional rip but not often . at 190 km the clutch/tranny should be ok still shouldnt it?

Tapioca 02-29-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kookoobird88 (Post 7814645)
its just a stock clutch, car has 190km

at a stop light yes sometimes i have to put it in third or 2nd then it will go into first
im gonna change the transmission fluid on friday

the pedal feels fine. but before it started grinding i thought i noticed that the clutch had a strange feel temporarily like it was catching almost with the pedal fully released. i dont drive the car hard, the occasional rip but not often . at 190 km the clutch/tranny should be ok still shouldnt it?

No. If the previous owner didn't know how to drive properly (he rode the clutch, etc.), then a clutch could easily wear in 50-70K. On the other hand, clutches can last 200K - it all depends on who's driving the car.

I had a DB2 and this car uses an old cable clutch so there will be no clutch fluid (unlike newer hydraulic clutches.) Go to G2IC.com and see the recommendations for transmission fluid. I bought GM Syncromesh and once I filled it with that, the gearbox was smooth like butter. You can use motor oil in these old gearboxes (check the Haynes manual for the spec), but perhaps Honda has created a synthetic fluid that works?

kookoobird88 03-01-2012 02:11 PM

well i was on my way home and after shifting into 2nd and released the clutch the car made a big jerk and the pedal pushed my foot
pulled over , wouldnt go into any gear with the clutch in, turned on the car, see how it felt the car now made that whining sound like in reverse gear but 10 times as loud, and it happens in all gears , so i left the car and im getting it towed...

DiiCii 03-01-2012 07:20 PM

damn :\ flush the tranny and check the old fluid for metal shavings

kookoobird88 03-04-2012 09:57 PM

turns out a spring popped out of position, wasnt engaging and disengaging properly, guy said the clutch was almost done anyways, almost metal on metal