REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Contiental DWS wear out fast wtf (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663958-contiental-dws-wear-out-fast-wtf.html)

GG 03-01-2012 06:42 PM

Contiental DWS wear out fast wtf

purchased the COntiental DWS about 6 months ago around OCtober, i have always keep the tire pressure around 32-35psi on a 2008 toyota avalon

I measured my tread today and i was shocked how much tread was left, front has 8/32 left, while rear has 8.5/32

These tires are rated 540AA, with 50,000 miles warranty which is 80,000km

I put about 5000-6000km any i cant believe how much they have worn down

looking at this rate, i would need to replace the tires at 30,000km

lowside67 03-01-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

The ExtremeContact DWS (DWS for Dry, Wet & Snow) is Continental's Ultra High Performance All-Season radial developed for drivers of sports cars, sports coupes, performance sedans and sport trucks. The ExtremeContact DWS is designed to satisfy their year-round driving needs by blending dry and wet road performance with light snow and slush traction.
These tires are phenomenal - I cannot believe they are willing to warranty those tires to 80,000kms... if they wear out, apparently you can get them to replace them, so why do you care? I run these tires on my BMW and if I got 40k out of them I would be ecstatic, the stock Bridgestones on my BMW will be totally bald by 30k or less. These are a bizarre choice for a mom-mobile like a Toyota Avalon though, designed much more for performance than comfort or tread life, what made you choose that over the OE spec all season tires?

Mark

GG 03-01-2012 08:13 PM

dunno

i must be on crack
so that the car handles a tiny bit better?

LOL

apparently the hassle with warranty work is that.....u gotta unmount them, send them in......send it back..mount again etc

if they dont approve it comes out of my own pocket

one thing my friend reminded me, it might the alignment????

even tho the car drives straight...possible tat....my alignment is off tats why its eating the tires like a mofo?

!Aznboi128 03-01-2012 08:34 PM

if your alignment is off it could cause wear, make sure the toe and camber is in check

Traum 03-01-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 (Post 7815835)
if your alignment is off it could cause wear, make sure the toe and camber is in check

Agreed. First thing I'd do is to take the car out for an alignment first. 0 deg toe if you want to maximize treadwear.

ilvtofu 03-12-2012 08:19 PM

Yeah sounds fishy, mine haven't shown any wear after ~12,000 kms

narfy 03-12-2012 08:42 PM

are you running the correct size?? including the load index and speed?? that can have a lot to do with it too!

bcrdukes 03-12-2012 09:15 PM

Check the following:

1. Are these the right size?
2. Alignment
3. Tire pressure (do you check it often?)

LenovoTurbo 03-18-2012 12:19 AM

If you have a tech friend, ask him to run his hand on the tires to feel if there's feathering. If toe is out of spec, he might be able to feel it. Or just get an alignment to be sure.

Zergon 04-03-2012 07:48 AM

Continental will honor the warranty under the following condition:

"Tire(s) that have not been rotated at least every 6,000 to 8,000
miles (10-13,000 Kilometers) as evidenced by a completed rotation
schedule are excluded."

You must have the original odometer reading and proof your tires have been rotated every 6-8k.

At that point, your retailer must contact a Continental rep and they will inspect the tires, it will all be in their hands. If you complain a little, they should accommodate you, they don't want to lose any customer money.