REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   ICBC Injury Claim (https://www.revscene.net/forums/664096-icbc-injury-claim.html)

gloors 03-04-2012 10:25 AM

ICBC Injury Claim

I Know this has been posted a bunch of times but just wanna get peoples opinions..

So story is, I was hit when I was going through an intersection on a green light and got hit from my passenger side by the other party going through a red light.

Day after of accident went to the doctors to get checked out and was told that I had an inflamed back and was given prescribed pills to take for it. So following morning adjuster calls me to ask a few questions yada yada.. At this point I wasn't feeling any pain but as the week went on I gradually felt pain on my lower back region and I really felt it whenever I was waking up, sitting/driving, & laying down. And now just today when I woke I started having neck pains. The doctor has told me to go for physiotherapy asap. I haven;t called my adjuster to update her on the situation & also havent filed an injury claim just yet.

This is my first time dealing with this kinda situation, so would like to get some opinions on how to go about with this matter. Also what is this "pain and suffering" payout?

mqin 03-04-2012 11:57 AM

Hi gloors, I was involved in an automotive accident not too long ago and this is all the information I gathered and understood, please if anybody feels that I have misinformed gloors of anything please do correct me! Thank you!

What you need to do is try and record all of the symptoms down, maybe on a daily basis if you have trouble remembering what's been bothering you since the accident. THIS IS IMPORTANT because if ICBC chooses to pay you very little or nothing at all to what you feel you should deserve from the accident. For example all the medical bills and etc.... you WILL need to hire a lawyer to claim your fair share of the settlement. Other than that some stuff that you will typically do is to go back to your doctor once a week for a regular check up and make sure that he/she is compiling a list of injuries by the week as that could be important as well, and during this time you typically shouldn't work if you're still hurt, since you are claiming injuries that will imply you are not able to work (also collect and keep any doctor's notes he/she may give you, because ICBC will ask for that if you are also wanting to be compensated for the work lost during this time). If they catch you working or doing any sort of exercises which involves bodily movements, they could void your attempt for making an injury claim.

Other than that as long as ICBC is aware of you wanting to make an injury claim they will handle everything else and offer you the monetary compensation to which they think is fair, and this amount is completely negotiable, providing you have legitimate reasons to ask for different amounts, sometimes this is where people will go out and seek a legal representation as haggling with ICBC for your "pain and suffering" money could and properly WILL take VERY LONG. From now to the point where ICBC will make you an offer, they will usually call you and check up with u and take notes on exactly when you've been going to the doctors or a body adjuster and will want a summary of what happened at those appointments so remember to not leave any details out as everything could be used to get you what you truly deserve or to give you less than what you deserve.

Lastly, Good Luck and if you still need any more information I recommend going and seeking legal advice from a law firm that specializes in automotive collisions.