REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   Really loose feeling shifter in my Ep3 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/664202-really-loose-feeling-shifter-my-ep3.html)

FakeVtec 03-05-2012 11:37 PM

Really loose feeling shifter in my Ep3

Anybody here with an ep3 have a really sloppy feeling shifter? Because mine just doesn't feel as firm as it should be. when it is in gear, it's got a decent amount of free play. (the one reason why i removed my heavy weight skunk 2 shift knob). Or is it just normal because of the fact that we have the stupid cable linkage style shifter? I don't know if changing the cable bushings at the end of the cables (hooked up on top of transmission) would make much of a difference? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

jing 03-06-2012 10:51 AM

That's what she said

FakeVtec 03-06-2012 04:46 PM

Posted via RS Mobile

FakeVtec 03-06-2012 04:48 PM

seriously? lol
Posted via RS Mobile

oldsnail 03-08-2012 04:05 PM

i have my EP3 for over 8 years with no problems.
did you change to a shortshifter? the boot of the shifter is not hard to remove, maybe you can check out what is going on?

i just have the odd grind once in a while which is remedied with mtf

FakeVtec 03-11-2012 01:47 PM

Posted via RS Mobile

FakeVtec 03-11-2012 01:56 PM

No i dont have a short shifter, just the good old long throw oem shifter unit. but i do remember opening the centre console a while back, and the pivot ball of the shift lever seems loose. there is a plastic piece tht kinda sits on top of the pivot ball which also kinda encloses the ball itself as well, and that seems loose. Because when i push down on the plastic piece, it tightens up the ball instantly, but when i let go, it goes back to what is is (aka. lots of play). So is there any screw tht holds that plastic piece down and keeps it from coming out? because that plastic piece should come out if your just going to change the shift lever and ball im guessing? oh and sorry for replying a bit late lol.
Posted via RS Mobile

TurboFC3S 03-11-2012 02:53 PM

your bushings are probably worn out... that or the screws are not tight enough

FakeVtec 03-14-2012 12:49 AM

So i opened up the shifter once again just to get another good look, and it turns out that the plastic piece that holds down the ball for the shift lever is broken on one side (no screws, just clips that hold that piece in). So i ordered a new shifter assembly. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

TypeRNammer 03-21-2012 01:32 AM

Should of ordered a Buddy Club Short Shifter!!

FakeVtec 03-24-2012 10:43 PM

Yeah, I could've ordered a short shifter, but I've been searching around on the internet and some people have had gear grinding issues with the BC short shifter assembly. That's why I kinda decided not to get one. Besides, the throws in the ep3 aren't really that bad to be honest.

t-s-x 05-31-2012 11:33 PM

well if u rip ur ep3 around then of course thats gonna happen LOL
a customer of mines did that n hes got the same problems and also 2nd gear pops out sometimes

FakeVtec 06-10-2012 06:13 PM

To Be honest, I drive like a granny LOL. Its too late now however. Oh well, oem for now.

oldsnail 06-11-2012 10:01 PM

my ep3 is bone stock and 2nd gear grind started to happen around 30 000kms of the cars life..

marco520 06-19-2012 11:22 PM

Try tightening all the bolts of the shifter, shifter base, shifter cable (in engine), etc.. If it still doesn't solve the problem, you might be looking into purchasing new shifter spring (something like MTEC).
Also could be the plastic base is getting loose...

FakeVtec 07-05-2012 11:34 PM

Interesting.... I searched up the MTEC shifter spring and it looks like there's some pretty good benefits to it. Thanks Marco520!!

JqC 07-09-2012 08:55 AM

I've had a Buddy Club short shifter in my EP3 for the last five years or so, and it's easily one of the best mods I've ever done to any of my cars.

Shifting feels a hundred times better with the Buddy Club, and I've had absolutely zero problems with it. If you have a chance to buy one, I'd say jump on it.