REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Condition of Black Rims

So far on all the cars I've owned, I've only ever ran silver rims (boring I know). But a few months ago I decided to have my rims powder coated black. I realize now that I may be a bit too anal for black rims.
It's been about 4 months now, and I've noticed a few issues:
1. rock chip on one of the rims
2. hairline scratch on one of the rims
3. apparently the powder coater couldn't get the decals that were on the inside of the barrel off; so he powder coated over them. Now they've peeled/are peeling off leaving rectangles that aren't powder coated

I'm assuming 1 & 2 are common. Any one out here with the same issues? Do you just live with it?

With 3 however, I'm wondering if I'm getting my chain pulled here? I contacted the powder coater, and he assured me that the areas where the decals have come off now (aka. not powder coated areas) won't affect the powder coat on the surrounding areas. If this is true, while I'm a bit ticked to find out now that the decals were left on, I don't mind it too much, as brake dust fills up the inside barrel pretty quick anyways. Hopefully I'm not being played.
Advertisement
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
well my old wheels were black and the good thing was I only had to wash them once every 6 months , I never got rock chips or scratches that were bad enough to bother me though
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
RS controls my life!

i don't understand how these people could have done anything other then a crap job is they didn't remove the decals. i would assume they took the time to media blast which would shred any decals on the barrel. with anything related to paint, it's all about prep. crappy prep = crappy finished product and crappy durability.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
i don't understand how these people could have done anything other then a crap job is they didn't remove the decals. i would assume they took the time to media blast which would shred any decals on the barrel. with anything related to paint, it's all about prep. crappy prep = crappy finished product and crappy durability.
you know, I can't believe that didn't cross my mind. When the guy was talking me through the process, he totally mentioned completely blasting the rims. wtf now. are the "decal" peelings just the powdercoat peeling?!
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
RS controls my life!

most if not all rims come with some type of clear coat on them. if they didn't remove that, then you can expect to see the paint come off the decals since it wouldn't have the same adhesion as the rest of the wheel, but also if they didn't prep the wheel by applying at least an etching primer then you could expect the coating to not last.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
which shop did the powder coating? I'm considering getting mine done.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
RS controls my life!

how much does it cost to powder coat? is there a ghetto cheap way DIY haha
Old 03-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Eastwood sell a $200 kit Eastwood Company: Search Results for powder coat inproducts

All you need is a heater and a chamber to keep the heat in.. eg cafetaria food trays holder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
how much does it cost to powder coat? is there a ghetto cheap way DIY haha
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote