REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Where to buy Mouth Guards? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/664461-where-buy-mouth-guards.html)

Lude2000 03-11-2012 10:45 AM

Where to buy Mouth Guards?

Where do you guys buy your mouth guards from? I need one for kickboxing. Are the ones sold at Walmart sufficient?

Gh0stRider 03-11-2012 10:49 AM

sport chek

TjAlmeida 03-11-2012 01:35 PM

could go to your dentist and get a custom one made. It will fit a lot better then one off a shelf.

For kick boxing i would think you would want one to fit snug onto your teeth, not a off the shelf mouth guard that may be more bulky. But i have not worn a mouth guard for years. maybe if you have a good dental plan it will pay for a custom made mouth guard
Posted via RS Mobile

Phozy 03-11-2012 08:03 PM

There are some at walmart or sportchek where you can mold it to fit you. One ap sportchek I know is 10-20 I believe
Posted via RS Mobile

Jgresch 03-11-2012 08:20 PM

when needed to buy one at the beginning of this hockey season, I went to sportchek and bought one for $3.99 and one for $25.99....

I molded both and tried them out.. I couldn't breathe with the expensive one, felt too bulky and could barely close my mouth. Ended up using the cheap one even though there is probably less benefits.

cdizzle_996 03-11-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgresch (Post 7826613)
when needed to buy one at the beginning of this hockey season, I went to sportchek and bought one for $3.99 and one for $25.99....

I molded both and tried them out.. I couldn't breathe with the expensive one, felt too bulky and could barely close my mouth. Ended up using the cheap one even though there is probably less benefits.

Couldn't agree more. I've used Tapout, 2 shock doctors, and the cheapy 3.99 shock doctor. The cheapest was by far the best fitting. I'm going in this week to get a custom fit though
Posted via RS Mobile

Lude2000 03-12-2012 09:21 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I will check out sports chek

RRxtar 03-12-2012 09:43 PM

sport chek has a fair selection of shock doctor boil and bite mouthguards. but they are more of teeth-holder-inners than jaw protectors.

are you just training and maybe some sparring or are you going to fight aswell?

single (upper) will for sure be more comfortable but a double will protect way more. also a custom mouth guard will be waaaaay better than a boil and bite

custom from your dentist or from a place like fightdentist.com will be better in the long run.

but as they say, the best mouthguard in the world wont do you any good if its sitting in your gym bag because you dont like wearing it.

Fafine 03-12-2012 10:03 PM

yeah if your gonna be in the sport in the long term, then go to your dentist.
if you got dental plan, then its definitely worth it,
also found the cheap ones for like 2.99 to fit better than the shock doctors

truth 03-12-2012 10:11 PM

go for a double, it forces you to learn to breathe deep through your nose so you won't keep your jaw open while sparring/fighting. I think I used a cheap $5 one bought in house when I used to do muay thai.

Lude2000 03-15-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 7827927)
sport chek has a fair selection of shock doctor boil and bite mouthguards. but they are more of teeth-holder-inners than jaw protectors.

are you just training and maybe some sparring or are you going to fight aswell?

single (upper) will for sure be more comfortable but a double will protect way more. also a custom mouth guard will be waaaaay better than a boil and bite

custom from your dentist or from a place like fightdentist.com will be better in the long run.

but as they say, the best mouthguard in the world wont do you any good if its sitting in your gym bag because you dont like wearing it.

Just plan on training and some sparring.

moomooCow 04-06-2012 06:41 AM

Can anyone recommend me a low profile mouth guard for ice hockey? I bought a Shock Doctor Gel Max (boil and bite type) and I feel like I can barely close my mouth with it. Too bulky for me to actually wear them and play.

BN-604 04-14-2012 09:48 PM

golden arrow on hastings street

kchansan 04-25-2012 12:35 AM

you can go to "gearlocker" at DynamicMMA which is in Richmond!
Great mma training facility

Or go with sportchek or any other sport related store... they should def. have it

TjAlmeida 04-25-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moomooCow (Post 7877198)
Can anyone recommend me a low profile mouth guard for ice hockey? I bought a Shock Doctor Gel Max (boil and bite type) and I feel like I can barely close my mouth with it. Too bulky for me to actually wear them and play.

Dude it was said above. If you want one that will fit perfectly then make a trip to see your dentist.