REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/toyota-lexus-tech-resources_311/)
-   -   removing clip on spark plug boot / V6 Spark plug (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665117-removing-clip-spark-plug-boot-v6-spark-plug.html)

Bahhbeehhaaaa 03-21-2012 07:04 PM

removing clip on spark plug boot / V6 Spark plug

Engine : 1MZ-FE V6

i changed the front 3, rear right spark plugs.

Problem
I can't even get the clip /plug boot out of the rear middle and rear left. Please Advise

Did some research .. and some guy said WD40 will work fine and buy some electrical grease.??!!???!?!

Are there other easier ways to replace the rear plugs..? p

Alphamale 03-21-2012 07:19 PM

There is no easier way. You're just gonna have to stop being a bitch and build up some forearm strength.
I've done this a bunch of times...
Posted via RS Mobile

narfy 03-21-2012 07:40 PM

avoid prying on it either... and i sure hope you're using new denso plugs... and NOT bosch... NGK works okay, but NOT BOSCH...

Bahhbeehhaaaa 03-21-2012 07:42 PM

I'm here to ask for help, your advise did little to nothing. Seems like you have the experience in auto tech but i don't. But thanks for the reply. One last thing, if i do have the strength or technique to pull the clips, i won't be here asking for help

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale (Post 7859419)
There is no easier way. You're just gonna have to stop being a bitch and build up some forearm strength.
I've done this a bunch of times...
Posted via RS Mobile

Bahhbeehhaaaa 03-21-2012 07:43 PM

I got the NGK plugs! =) and thanks for the tip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by narfy (Post 7859452)
avoid prying on it either... and i sure hope you're using new denso plugs... and NOT bosch... NGK works okay, but NOT BOSCH...

narfy 03-21-2012 07:51 PM

what year and model car/van/cuv is it anyways?

the coils all have a M6 10mm head bolt holding them down... some of them had plug wires that wrapped from the coils around to the other 3 plugs... if there's a plug wire that runs to them, there's nothing holding them in other than what's attached to the spark plug...

pull straight and wiggle... hopefully it releases without breaking the wire inside the boot... if it does, you gotta get a pair of pliers in there to pull that off before you can pull the plug out... and you'll have to replace the wire (set)

Bahhbeehhaaaa 03-21-2012 07:55 PM

it's a 2003 Sienna, i managed to pull off the front middle one(testing it) but then i plugged it back in and is stuck there again lol okok.. SOOooooo Push on the clip, Pull and wiggle.? will any of the WD40 help.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by narfy (Post 7859466)
what year and model car/van/cuv is it anyways?

the coils all have a M6 10mm head bolt holding them down... some of them had plug wires that wrapped from the coils around to the other 3 plugs... if there's a plug wire that runs to them, there's nothing holding them in other than what's attached to the spark plug...

pull straight and wiggle... hopefully it releases without breaking the wire inside the boot... if it does, you gotta get a pair of pliers in there to pull that off before you can pull the plug out... and you'll have to replace the wire (set)

narfy 03-21-2012 08:11 PM

can't unplug the harness from the coil, or can't get the coil out of the head?

Bahhbeehhaaaa 03-21-2012 09:07 PM

i'll upload a picture tmr =)

Bahhbeehhaaaa 03-22-2012 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i can't plug that one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by narfy (Post 7859487)
can't unplug the harness from the coil, or can't get the coil out of the head?

godwin 03-22-2012 01:02 PM

Remove bolt.. get a right size flat blade screwdriver to lift the latch? WD40 is used as a solvent to try to dissolve the dirt and loosen it up. Once you get it out use a used toothbrush and clean any bolt / screw chase.. dry it out.. then apply so dielectric grease so next time would be easier.

Bahhbeehhaaaa 03-22-2012 01:52 PM

thanks bud! i tried push and lift and is still stuck there lol ill try some wd 40 soon and thanks for the help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 7860259)
Remove bolt.. get a right size flat blade screwdriver to lift the latch? WD40 is used as a solvent to try to dissolve the dirt and loosen it up. Once you get it out use a used toothbrush and clean any bolt / screw chase.. dry it out.. then apply so dielectric grease so next time would be easier.

narfy 03-22-2012 05:18 PM

i would avoid using WD40... just squeeze the tab really hard and jiggle... try pushing it IN a little bit while squeezing the clip, and then pulling...

yoshi_man 06-28-2013 12:43 PM

you don't have to unplug it. just remove the bolt and let it hang