REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Tungsten Carbide Rings (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665154-tungsten-carbide-rings.html)

Preemo 03-22-2012 10:42 AM

Tungsten Carbide Rings

So, I bought a $300 ring from People's Jewelers.

No biggy.

Then I look online and there are Tungsten rings for a fraction of the price!! What's the difference?? Slightly lower grade/quality? Fakes? I don't usually ever buy jewelry for myself so I am super n00b at this stuff.

miss_crayon 03-22-2012 11:11 AM

What ring did you buy in the first place? Or did you a buy a tungsten ring from people's and then saw it for a fraction of the price online?

I don't know if there's a difference but I chose tungsten for him because it's scratch proof and it looked pretty manly. The only downside is you can't resize tungsten rings

Preemo 03-22-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 7860146)
What ring did you buy in the first place? Or did you a buy a tungsten ring from people's and then saw it for a fraction of the price online?

I don't know if there's a difference but I chose tungsten for him because it's scratch proof and it looked pretty manly. The only downside is you can't resize tungsten rings

I bought a Tungsten Carbide one and saw other ones online for a fraction of the price. I am just curious as to why the huge price gap.

I agree, the scratch proof aspect of it is what made me want one other then the fact that it's black.

rageguy 03-22-2012 01:30 PM

Tungsten rings are scratch proof to some degree. If you have color plated ones, then the surface may scratch. Mine has some light scratches on the surface after wearing it everyday for the past 15 months.

I love tungsten rings. For some reason it just seems so manly and cool.

PJ 03-22-2012 01:35 PM

Tungsten is a produced pressed hard metal. All tungsten-carbide is scratch proof because of its high hardness property. If yours happens to have a light scratch, a quick wipe with some metal cleaner will fix it right up.

There are many different grades, but as far as jewelry goes, there's not too much difference.

So the price gap is probably mostly just branding/marketing.. (Just like buying a Tiffany's ring vs essentially the same unbranded ring from a generic jewelry maker.) But who knows, maybe your ring is a slightly better grade.

I bought my tungsten ring online. The girlfriend bought me a tungsten dog tag online as well. The difference in tungsten grading is so miniscule for jewelry.. If you're not going to be running your ring over with a car, there's not too much difference.

RabidRat 03-22-2012 01:38 PM

PJ where'd you get these? I'd like to get some sort of chain to put my Iron Ring on for when I can't have it on my hand (ie dragon boat practices, track days etc), preferably made of some material that'll hold up to abuse (sounds like tungsten carbide is a good idea). Any recommendations regarding that?

jing 03-22-2012 02:26 PM

They can be found all over eBay for pennies compared to what most jewellers sell them for
Posted via RS Mobile

PJ 03-22-2012 02:30 PM

Tungsten is a relatively inexpensive material, so to speak. So I don't see any reason not to buy it online. (Not to take a shot at OP, just stating the facts..)

I got my ring from tungstenjewellry.com, and I'm not sure where my girlfriend got my dog tag from. titaniumkay.com is also another site to check out. My cousin's girlfriend also got him a tungsten necklace/pendant for dirt cheap off eBay, and he's had it for over 3 years, still in new condition. So if you don't mind eBay shopping, that would be your least expensive outlet.

Search around for a tungsten ball and chain necklace, but make sure it's a spring-clasp that holds the chain together. Tungsten is a very heavy material, and the last thing you want is for a cheap pop-in clasp to break and lose your ring. Having said that, most tungsten chains are pretty heavy themselves.. so they may not be the best for track days or running..

RabidRat 03-22-2012 11:08 PM

^ is this type of clasp decent?
http://www.titaniumkay.com/images/ne.../P102514_2.jpg

Sorry for thread hijack OP =p

Preemo 03-23-2012 01:00 AM

Well ... shit.

Looks like I paid a heavy premium didn't I? LOL What a nub I am.

Gonna check out those websites and maybe order another and compare.

PJ 03-23-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabidRat (Post 7860999)
^ is this type of clasp decent?
Sorry for thread hijack OP =p

Yup. that's what I have with my dog tag. Just check the connecting ring every now and then and make sure its not prying apart. Theoretically the rings should be the first to give out because it's the lightest and thinnest links, therefore it's holding all the weight of the necklace. But it's been over 2 years and mine has been fine.

Expresso 03-24-2012 01:21 AM

People's markup is the only difference.

skholla 03-24-2012 11:44 AM

Take a trip to the LA or NY and see how much cheaper jewellery is there than here... like everything else in Canada, we pay a premium... cars, clothes, homes, electronics, liquor, tobacco, etc...

Levitron 03-24-2012 11:34 PM

Try Black Tie Rings - Home - Canada's Tungsten Carbide Ring Store as well?

6793026 03-25-2012 10:50 AM

pic of your ring?