REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Help regarding alignment specs

So I got some Skunk 2 pro s2 coilovers installed about a month or two ago and took it in for alignment last week after I was done fiddling with the height. I had Superstar auto in Richmond do it for me while I was getting my exhaust put on as well. When they were finished they told me that something was wrong with the right front shock... they didn't say exactly what it was though but it was hard to align it properly? Here is the spec sheet that they gave me

I told them to try to keep the rear camber negative because I want a more aggressive fitment. I'm still too noob with alignment specs, but it seems to be pretty off to me..? The camber looks really uneven :S Can someone chime in on these alignment specs? Some people have told me that these specs are ridiculous, yet some other people have told me that maybe this is the best alignment I can get due to the messed up front shock. When I looked at the shocks before they were installed they seemed to be fine to me. The coilovers were used when I bought them, for 10k km/1year. I asked the previous owner if his car had been hit or if he had run into a curb or something and he said nothing like that has happened.

Should I go to Dales for another alignment since he's so well known, or would it not make a difference?

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
A degree of camber off... Seems fishy, I'd get another person to look at it. Your coilovers could be fucked :e-shrug:
Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Did you get camber kits (bolts) with your coilovers? My understanding is the front suspension on your car is the MacPherson Strut type. The struts are attached to the knuckle with two bolts.

There is no way to adjust camber on this type of strut unless you get a camber kit, which is really just an eccentric bolt that replaces one of the factory bolts and allows camber adjustment by moving the knuckle in relation to the strut.

They should have mentioned this when they were doing the alignment. I highly doubt there's a problem with your strut (it would have to be bent to affect camber). It's most likely something else that's out causing the camber to be off, but you'd have to get an alignment shop to look at your suspension carefully to try and determine the cause. Even something like a subframe shifted slightly to the left would cause the readings you have.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I'm looking at your rear toe. They seems f'ed up. Left rear initial = 30deg Final = 30 deg. It is not even in spec! Same with your Right rear, not in spec! Thrust angle out. You did do a 4 wheel alignment right? Hope you didn't pay much. As for the front camber being off, have you ever hit anything on that right front wheel?
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
A degree of camber off... Seems fishy, I'd get another person to look at it. Your coilovers could be fucked :e-shrug:
I want to get another person to look at it but don't really want to pay $120ish for an alignment if I would be getting the same or similar specs But I guess I won't know until I try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Did you get camber kits (bolts) with your coilovers? My understanding is the front suspension on your car is the MacPherson Strut type. The struts are attached to the knuckle with two bolts.

There is no way to adjust camber on this type of strut unless you get a camber kit, which is really just an eccentric bolt that replaces one of the factory bolts and allows camber adjustment by moving the knuckle in relation to the strut.

They should have mentioned this when they were doing the alignment. I highly doubt there's a problem with your strut (it would have to be bent to affect camber). It's most likely something else that's out causing the camber to be off, but you'd have to get an alignment shop to look at your suspension carefully to try and determine the cause. Even something like a subframe shifted slightly to the left would cause the readings you have.
I have camber bolts but they weren't on the car when the alignment was done. Ah.. okay. I probably should of gotten it done at a more reputable alignment shop. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impreza View Post
I'm looking at your rear toe. They seems f'ed up. Left rear initial = 30deg Final = 30 deg. It is not even in spec! Same with your Right rear, not in spec! Thrust angle out. You did do a 4 wheel alignment right? Hope you didn't pay much. As for the front camber being off, have you ever hit anything on that right front wheel?
:S Yes I did get a 4 wheel alignment. I haven't hit anything hard other than the small potholes on the everyday roads I drive on, but I don't hit those very hard either. I paid $90 for the alignment lol, just going to drive the extra distance and pay the extra money to get it done at a well known shop next time :/

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Get those front camber bolts in....

Because the OEM bolts only have a maximum adjustment ranging from 0.5 to 1 degree +/-
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #7

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Get the camber bolts in and go to Dales.

It doesn't look like they knew exactly what they were doing.
Did they use a string and laser level or something?
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
.....they told me that something was wrong with the right front shock... they didn't say exactly what it was though but it was hard to align it properly?.....

translation, "we really don't know what this simple issue may be, but let's just blame one of your parts, easier that way" only one kind of shop can't figure out something simple like that, an incompetent one..

if you were at Dale's, the guy would be standing shoulder to shoulder with you going in depth with exactly what's wrong with your car (in your case probably nothing to do with your strut) and then telling you how they fixed it.....
I say this from numerous previous experiences of me going there, helluva drive though, but worth it

btw do your coilovers have these camber plates on top ?

Last edited by G-spec; 03-29-2012 at 08:34 AM.
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
is best wrench

Thanked 1,208 Times in 272 Posts
As someone mentioned above, your toe angle in the right rear seems iffy. Toe isn't great on tire wear. Take a look at it soon

Get those camber bolts if your coilovers don't have camber plates already
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I'm not too familar with Skunk products, but do you know if the lower mounting points were round or oval shaped? Do they have camber plates on the top to adjust camber?
Did you ask them to adjust to a specific camber setting?

The right rear toe is fine but the left is off by a bit. Did you ask them to fix it? Toe in or out on the rear may make the rear of the car feel darty on the highway and increases tire wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Get those front camber bolts in....

Because the OEM bolts only have a maximum adjustment ranging from 0.5 to 1 degree +/-
Yeah I'll be doing that before I get my next alignment done, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
translation, "we really don't know what this simple issue may be, but let's just blame one of your parts, easier that way" only one kind of shop can't figure out something simple like that, an incompetent one..

if you were at Dale's, the guy would be standing shoulder to shoulder with you going in depth with exactly what's wrong with your car (in your case probably nothing to do with your strut) and then telling you how they fixed it.....
I say this from numerous previous experiences of me going there, helluva drive though, but worth it

btw do your coilovers have these camber plates on top ?

Nope they don't come with camber plates :/ Should of went to Dales in the first place, I've been hearing nothing but good things about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I'm not too familar with Skunk products, but do you know if the lower mounting points were round or oval shaped? Do they have camber plates on the top to adjust camber?
Did you ask them to adjust to a specific camber setting?

The right rear toe is fine but the left is off by a bit. Did you ask them to fix it? Toe in or out on the rear may make the rear of the car feel darty on the highway and increases tire wear.
I don't remember what shape they were, but I think they're round iirc.. There aren't any camber plates on the top though. I asked them to try to leave the rear camber at around the same if possible since I wanted to run some spacers without rubbing, but also told them it was fine if they had to change it if it messed with any other specs.

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #12

The answer to all your problems lies here.

Talk to Jason.

Dale's Alignment & Brake Ltd. (Langley B.C.) Established 1975. Open Saturdays!

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: