REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Springs not sitting on perch correctly.. is it okay? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/666230-springs-not-sitting-perch-correctly-okay.html)

bottle 04-09-2012 06:42 PM

Springs not sitting on perch correctly.. is it okay?

A few weeks ago I dropped my car on springs and shocks.

However, although the springs were initially placed correctly, it appears that they have slipped off the lock position on the perch. They have not moved since then.

Is this safe or should I be weary?

I've been told that the top perch is locked in and should not worry. When the car is lifted off the ground, the springs are still under load and cannot be spun around to be relocated back properly on the perch (perhaps because of the top lock?)

Just wondering if I should be watching myself or if this is fine. Again they cannot/ haven't moved since the initially dropping the car back down from the lift.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11kwmcx.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/34eb314.jpg

fliptuner 04-09-2012 08:17 PM

It might not move on you but do you really like having 1 corner higher than the rest?

Get it fixed.

bottle 04-10-2012 10:35 AM

It's on both the rear shocks. Does it affect ride height? Because it's on both the rears, the height is the same.

godwin 04-10-2012 03:04 PM

It looks like it is wearing on your shock.. get it looked at.. if it get rusted through there is no warranty things due to poor fitment.

gc200 04-10-2012 08:06 PM

rent a manual spring compressor @ canadian tire so u can move it around.

bottle 04-10-2012 09:47 PM

Any idea of how much that would be? I don't mind but I don't have a jack so I'm going to have to take it to the shop to lift up the car.
I should mention I can get it on the lift for free so no worries there.

TjAlmeida 04-10-2012 09:48 PM

think Canadian tire to rent a compressor is 125$, but you get most if not all of the money back once you return it.

gc200 04-11-2012 07:20 AM

if ur taking it to the shop then u dont need to rent. shops should have their own compressors

Phil@rise 04-11-2012 09:56 AM

^ this and it wont cost you $125 to get that sorted providing nothin is broken and the spring just settled wrong. We can pop your car on the hoist and straighten it out.

bottle 04-11-2012 01:14 PM

The place I go to (where my cousin works) uses a compressor that requires the removal of the entire shock unit to be used, not those portable style ones you can rent. Removing the entire thing can be quite the hassle.

@Phil, if you can throw me a PM for how much that'd be nice. Nothing should be broken as far as I know. Will come in to check that exhaust sometime too.. just been busy as exams are in session. 1 more week and I'm off.

Phil@rise 04-12-2012 10:46 AM

sure

MindBomber 04-12-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc200 (Post 7881895)
rent a manual spring compressor @ canadian tire so u can move it around.

It's not necessary to compress the spring for it to be adjusted, as Phil already implied.

gc200 04-12-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7883954)
It's not necessary to compress the spring for it to be adjusted, as Phil already implied.

oh haha i thought he said the springs are still underload and cannot be spun thats why i said to rent compressor.

gc200 04-12-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 7882459)
^ this and it wont cost you $125 to get that sorted providing nothin is broken and the spring just settled wrong. We can pop your car on the hoist and straighten it out.

ull get that $125 back when u return it so basically rent for free

MindBomber 04-12-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc200 (Post 7884219)
oh haha i thought he said the springs are still underload and cannot be spun thats why i said to rent compressor.

If a spring is incorrectly seated, you can raise the corner in question, take the tension off the spring with the retainer bolt on the top of the damper shaft, then you'll be able to adjust the spring with the shock still installed. That's the case in my experience at least, I could be totally wrong and making a slight fool of myself :whistle:

gc200 04-12-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7884256)
If a spring is incorrectly seated, you can raise the corner in question, take the tension off the spring with the retainer bolt on the top of the damper shaft, then you'll be able to adjust the shock and spring still installed. That's the case in my experience at least, I could be totally wrong and making a slight fool of myself :whistle:

well thats your style and thats how u learned it. i learned it differently. i could be wrong too. :whistle: