REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
reading the forum is pretty interesting on people's opinion

here is a quote from seattle vs vancouver thread

Quote:
2. The people. Granted, I'm a born and bred New Yorker who came out west, but it seems to me that the people that I have met north of the border are much easier to get along with. Seattle, to me, is just bizarre. I've honestly never been to a place (New York included) where people simply don't say "thanks" when you hold a door open for them. (And, more infruriating to me, they don't "get it" when I say "you're welcome" really sarcastically. LOL) Of course, the "politeness" of the Canucks gets to me as well. But, overall, if I had to be plunked down in a group of strangers, I'd much rather it be people from Vancouver than a bunch of Seattleites.

Read more: Vancouver vs Seattle (hotel, neighbourhoods, construction) - Page 2 - City-Data Forum
motha fucking true!! bitches be rude down south when i visit there all the time.
Advertisement
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #27
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Vancouver is awesome. Sorry to hear you didn't commit suicide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #28
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

You could be living in a shithole and you could say its the best place ever. It's the things around you that keep you happy like friends and family. This guy probably came here for work, so there was less likely anyone he knew here.
BossFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
was expecting to hear some crazy conspiracy.. all i read was a bunch of bitching. I don't live in vancouver but your points could be valid for any big city..
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #30
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
I work at NCIX, drive an STI, live in Vancouver and give 0 fucks
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Retarded thread is retarded
Old 04-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #32
Princess Dewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by niu99
If you're skilled worker Vancouver is where you DON'T go for work.
you either don't follow the news or your retarded because im a skilled trades worker and theres lots of work here. have you heard of Seaspan a company that received a government contract to build ships well there looking to hire around 5000 skilled tradesman full time for the next 30+ years including: Welders,Fabricators,Mechanics,Plumbers, and pipe fitters. We also have one of the largest forest and mining industries, and everything that goes up to the interior is made down here which is why we have the largest Fabrication shops: Ebco (canada's second largest industrial fab shop) , CanRon, etc... we also invest in our infrastructure more than other places: Portman & Golden ears bridge, our hydro dams, our water pipes, and our highways. so to say not to come here for work is a lie and you should jump off one of our new bridges.
[05-03, 17:18] MPTness
if her age on the clock, she's too young for a cock

[12-03, 22:33] Amuro Ray
i was wearing women's clothing in my picture

[14-04, 00:16] Amuro Ray
i have hello kitty underwear

[14-04, 00:23] Amuro Ray
i find feet sexually exciting

[29-04, 00:21] Ri2
if i was a guy i'd just ejaculate on her face all up in her nose, mark yo territory like a beast

[14-05, 23:29] Ri2
i just watched japanese girls poop on each other for like 10 mins
smarv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #33
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
If you want to be paid a good wage you go elsewhere.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #34
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

OP is usually failed for his anti rich Chinese immigrant posts, but he is absolutely correct. I was born and bred in Richmond, and had the chance to go away for school. I also have lots of close friends in other cities and it's true -- if you find a high paying career job in a big city elsewhere, you won't look back at Vancouver at all. Two weeks back in summer and winter every year for skiing/fishing/kayaking etc are more than enough.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarv View Post
you either don't follow the news or your retarded because im a skilled trades worker and theres lots of work here. have you heard of Seaspan a company that received a government contract to build ships well there looking to hire around 5000 skilled tradesman full time for the next 30+ years including: Welders,Fabricators,Mechanics,Plumbers, and pipe fitters. We also have one of the largest forest and mining industries, and everything that goes up to the interior is made down here which is why we have the largest Fabrication shops: Ebco (canada's second largest industrial fab shop) , CanRon, etc... we also invest in our infrastructure more than other places: Portman & Golden ears bridge, our hydro dams, our water pipes, and our highways. so to say not to come here for work is a lie and you should jump off one of our new bridges.
Trade workers are well paid, but they are not rich. With specified degrees, many people can earn in the several hundreds of thousands and up -- it's just that Vancouver isn't one of these financial or tech "hubs." I have a handful of UBC commerce friends in NYC earning well over $300K USD/year and are barely 35. The scary thing is that their salaries/bonuses will keep increasing year on year with experience. There are people earning that in Van, but the opportunity pool for that kind of wealth is very, very small. The stark reality is that the vast majority of wealth you see now is built from abroad.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #36
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

^I think the trades here pay well only because of the housing and construction conditions locally, it's probably not booming everywhere in North America and my guess is the pay may fluctuate greatly depending on region. I think if it weren't for the mad dash of wealthy immigrants wanting to move here, Vancouver probably would not have changed much if at all and things would have been kinda dead. Seems like all the builders (even some international ones) moved in once there was money to be made and we got all these nice towers and hotels (i.e. Shangri-la, Fairmont) that went up. Vancouver would have been like Victoria, where not a damn thing seems to have changed.

That's pretty awesome pay. What jobs did your friends land? I'm guessing finance. They must be REALLY talented though b/c I have a cousin from an Ivy (UPenn) who got referred by her prof and offered jobs at JP Morgan and Houlihan Loki was only paid 200k starting as a FA (at Houlihan, JP offered a bit more). It's too bad we aren't a financial or tech hub but I guess that won't ever happen, many people here don't seem to understand business and they voted out the HST lol. I agree, Vancouver is just a nice place to live and enjoy your wealth once you've made your $ abroad.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 04-14-2012 at 06:52 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #37
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

if the guy who wrote that job prospects are bad here, I wonder how much better it would be for him in the States.

Apparently, 88 million in the country do not work according to the San Francisco Chronicle and the latest unemployment statistics are skewed by those dropping out of the search. I would say that's a pretty huge number for a country that has just over 300 million citizens.

88 million out of work and not looking for a job

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #38
I am grateful grapefruit

People need to figure out what makes them happy. Is it financial success? Is it working a job that you're passionate about, or is it trying to create your own company and be your own boss? Is it surrounding yourself with the best friends? Is it going skiing every weekend? Is it smoking up everyday and living your life high? Is it starting a family and pumping out miniature versions of yourself? Is it getting a corner office in DT Manhatten?

Personally, I'm making enough money to be happy here. I have lived abroad in the UK for 2 years and traveled around, etc - but Vancouver is MY home. There were aspects to London I loved, but it wasn't my home. I might not be pulling in 100k a year, but my job pays for my bills and keeps a roof over my head.

I have plenty of friends who have moved abroad, either to Eastern Canada, or into the states. Either it was family, or to get away from family - to search for a career they can't have here, or to move to their dream city (NY, or whatever), or trying to make enough money so maybe one day they'll be featured in Cribs.

To those who aren't happy in Vancouver, if you think you'll be happy elsewhere, you should go ahead and move! Personally I hate whiners; if you hate this city, YVR is situated really close to the city center and a new life is only a few hours away.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #39
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
I've lived in Dublin, Chicago, Seattle and Vancouver.
They're all good places to live, or miserable shitholes.
It's a matter of perspective, so make the best of it.
You're going to be dead a long time.

finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #40
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Vancouver proper is a fucking joke, the further out you get, the easier and better the quality of life is.

I visited Austin, Texas a while back when I was picking up a car, and I swear, it's the happiest place on earth. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I had the chance. Warm weather, nice people, and nice (CHEAP) land.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #41
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Funny OP proudly has an avatar of a canadian flag but is bitching about his own city?
Honestly if you guys don't like it there's no reason you shouldn't be able to move out.
Austin texas is a 300$ no return flight. Why don't you head there? Enjoy it.
Keeps vancouver cheaper for the people who like this lifestyle.
xPhuong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #42
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niu99 View Post
Friendly Canadians and Vancouverites are a myth. I now live in the US after 30 years in BC and the people here are so much better. When I lived in vancouver there wasn't a day that goes by about how unfriendly the people are it's in the media constantly. the standoffish nature of BC is astounding. Vancouver is literally the most alienating city I've ever experienced, plus the scenery is not as great as it's supposed reputation.

If you're skilled worker Vancouver is where you DON'T go for work. It's good for ski vacation and that's it, then you go back to a real city and get a real job. Never have I seen as huge a discrepency between what a city is like and how it's marketed.

There were days honest to god, I was going to commit suicide if I was trapped in vancouver any longer. I would have jumped off the Granville street bridge. I have lived in 7 cities, Vancouver is literally the worst.

Anyone that I know that is successful has left that town long ago and like me they are WAY happier, the only people remain are the naive underachievers that are afraid of the big bad world so they hide behind mommy's skirt doing nothing with their lives

I cashed out my 750k mortgage free condo to some foreigner and never looked back.

Vancouver is not worth it. Vancouver is a bland overpriced sham with limited career options.

Vancouver is antisocial. It's non debatable. The culture is hockey and marijauna and the NDP and non talking to others and avoiding eye contact. It's where underachievers go.

That's the real truth.

From
Scandinavian "Skilled Worker" in Vancouver: My Story - City-Data Forum
Oh hey, long time no see, Joe45!
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #43
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Gone from whining about women to whining about livability of Vancouver. Classic.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPhuong View Post
Funny OP proudly has an avatar of a canadian flag but is bitching about his own city?
Honestly if you guys don't like it there's no reason you shouldn't be able to move out.
Austin texas is a 300$ no return flight. Why don't you head there? Enjoy it.
Keeps vancouver cheaper for the people who like this lifestyle.

I don't hate the lifestyle, I prefer it over anywhere else.

It's the fact that it would take my entire life to pay off a house here.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #45
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Vancouver proper is a fucking joke, the further out you get, the easier and better the quality of life is.

I visited Austin, Texas a while back when I was picking up a car, and I swear, it's the happiest place on earth. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I had the chance. Warm weather, nice people, and nice (CHEAP) land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
I don't hate the lifestyle, I prefer it over anywhere else.

It's the fact that it would take my entire life to pay off a house here.
So what's stopping you?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
So what's stopping you?

What's stopping me from what?

My second post wasn't a retraction, it was the reasoning behind my first post.

It's all money, and it's hard to get enough to get a reasonably sized home without breaking your back here. My point was that in Austin, it's easy, a mansion on three acres of land was $200,000.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #47
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS View Post
not necessary IN downtown, but something closer to downtown coming from the east to bypass all the lights on 1st ave and have on/off ramps into downtown and then heading south to bypass granville and oak connecting to 99 and to get people to the airport. you really like being in stop and go traffic on oak on a fucking SUNDAY AFTERNOON?

im no city planner and i know a majority of tree huggers would hate this and alot of people are opposed to a highway through the city, but had it been done 50 - 60 years ago they could have easily designed a simple 4 lane non stop highway, planned communities around it and planned it for noise abatement/not to look so ugly and all the necessary stuff needed to deal with a highway in a populated area.
not to mention the millions of small details im over looking, but this is just my take on things.

obviously way too late now and were permanently fucked for traffic. couple a decent highway in with the skytrain that does a decent job of bringing people working downtown into the core, congestion wouldnt be as bad.
This wouldn't work because it makes too much sense.
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS View Post
not necessary IN downtown, but something closer to downtown coming from the east to bypass all the lights on 1st ave and have on/off ramps into downtown and then heading south to bypass granville and oak connecting to 99 and to get people to the airport. you really like being in stop and go traffic on oak on a fucking SUNDAY AFTERNOON?

im no city planner and i know a majority of tree huggers would hate this and alot of people are opposed to a highway through the city, but had it been done 50 - 60 years ago they could have easily designed a simple 4 lane non stop highway, planned communities around it and planned it for noise abatement/not to look so ugly and all the necessary stuff needed to deal with a highway in a populated area.
not to mention the millions of small details im over looking, but this is just my take on things.

obviously way too late now and were permanently fucked for traffic. couple a decent highway in with the skytrain that does a decent job of bringing people working downtown into the core, congestion wouldnt be as bad.
^^ it doesnt work because of our NIMBY (not in my back yard mentality).

We have 2 million people in the metro area but due to the few number of bridges and our many areas of bottlenecks it takes forever to get anywhere during rush hour. Going from burnaby to Kits area takes forever during rush hour. We shouldn't have this much congestion given our population.

The metro area of Portland Oregon is similar to Vancouver, and they are one of the most efficiently planned cities in North America and constantly rated as best cities to travel in during rush hour. Downtown portland has free transit!!
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post

- Work ethic, people here work less, and less hard. Living in an apartment in Edmonton, i would go down to the underground parking and it would basically clear out everyday between 6-7:30am and they wouldn't return until 5-6pm... here in BC, the underground parking remains full until about 10am and the cars are all back by 4-5pm... many of the people I know here hate working, bitch about it non stop, and work as little as possible.. where as in other parts of Canada, people love their jobs, and work extra all the time.
We have many C-Lais (asian housewife) here that dont work.

Jokes aside, I am not a fan of working longer in the day, as it takes away from your work-life balance and isn't good for people's health/stress wise.

However I totally agree with you on the productivity/efficiency and the constant bitching here, people in Vancouver get less done here in 8 hours than the 8 hours that someone from other cities would produce. Soo many people here bitch about the stupidest things at work and seem to hate their jobs (even though in my opinion the job is pretty decent).
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #50

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Vancouver is awesome.

See, where I came from, you had to roll in bulletproof cars, many friends had armed security guards/drivers, cameras in the house, bars, electric fence, you couldn't do anything nor go anywhere for fear of getting kidnapped, killed or worse. And most of us were not ballers, mind you. Just middle/upper middle class.

You guys take for granted some important things, like liberty, mild weather, the ability to go anywhere you want at any time you want without worry.

If you want to make six figures plus really easily, go freeze your ass off in the oil sands and stop whining.

Seriously.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: