REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Caution for those in Collingwood Area (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667175-caution-those-collingwood-area.html)

StylinRed 04-27-2012 03:24 PM

Caution for those in Collingwood Area

So I just found out my aunts place got burglarized in the middle of the afternoon sometime between 10am and 3pm

and they even left some butchers knives in a bedroom (that they took from the kitchen)

luckily she and my nephew wasn't home at the time but its still scared them thoroughly

supposedly one of her friends/neighbours in the area was also broken into recently

so be extra cautious or if you have little old chinese relatives that live alone maybe remind them to set their alarms (my aunt forgets to set hers) or even drop by their place a few times a week since these guys probably case their targets and choose places with very low activity levels

4444 04-27-2012 10:04 PM

So this warning is just for Chinese ppl?

nickmak 04-27-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 7902524)
So this warning is just for Chinese ppl?

yeah. whities and brown people don't worry, you're safe.

4444 04-28-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmak (Post 7902555)

Well played, just not sure why OP had to specifically warn only Chinese grandparents - all elderly are vulnerable to the scum of the earth who prey on them. Today might be a good day to give ur grandparents a call or visit, they won't be around forever

twitchyzero 04-28-2012 09:34 AM

way to take everything word for word
OP is just trying to give people a head's up.

sh0n 04-28-2012 11:48 AM

Can the Op shed more light as to which area it was in Collingwood (the major cross streets at least).

I personally live in this area and I would like to look out for myself and my neighbours.

Fafine 04-28-2012 11:50 AM

there was a break in last week around 54th and victoria.
tons of cops around for hours looking for the suspects

StylinRed 04-28-2012 11:51 AM

the msg was written in passing and reflected my own circumstance more than anything but the underlying message remains...

just a heads up folks

2 burglaries in one area within a week in broad daylight

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh0n (Post 7902855)
Can the Op shed more light as to which area it was in Collingwood (the major cross streets at least).

I personally live in this area and I would like to look out for myself and my neighbours.

boundary and 25th and the other was by windermere

twstd_reality 04-28-2012 12:37 PM

Wonder if its the same retards that ran-sacked my area (up the street by moscrop). They broke into like 4 houses in our neighborhood within a month. Always during the day when everyone was at work and no one was home. They probably scoped out the neighborhood to see which houses, then knocked to see if anyone answers. If there's always someone home I would think you are fine or have an alarm.

Any suspects?

tgill 04-28-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7902857)
boundary and 25th and the other was by windermere

More so Renfrew Heights rather than Collingwood.

Euro7r 04-28-2012 01:13 PM

Need to put up some deterrents, like "Beware of Dog" sign and put up some secured by alarm system company. I guess that would make anyone wanting to come into anyone's property to think twice before doing so?.....

4444 04-28-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7902775)
way to take everything word for word
OP is just trying to give people a head's up.

Was said in jest, mind you, was kinda dumb to even mention race

4444 04-28-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 7902904)
Need to put up some deterrents, like "Beware of Dog" sign and put up some secured by alarm system company. I guess that would make anyone wanting to come into anyone's property to think twice before doing so?.....

Alarms are totally worth the monthly cost, best deterrent around

nns 04-28-2012 03:35 PM

Someone kicked down the backdoor in the ground level, then kicked down a second door and proceeded to help himself around the first and second floor. He did this with the alarm going off in the background. My sister was on the second level, home alone, and she was so scared with no idea what to do, so she hid behind the counter in the kitchen while the guy was taking a look around. They never saw each other, and he didn't stick around for too long (no doubt because of the loud alarm going off).

Nonetheless, he had the guts to kick down 2 doors of a house that has clear monitored alarm stickers on the windows, in the middle of an afternoon. This was around 6-7 years ago.

Alarms are next to useless.

As for having a dog and the "Beware of dog" signs being useful, I'm a huge skeptic. In a separate break-in in my past, when I had a German Shepherd dog in the backyard, the burglar broke in through a side window of the house in clear view of both the dog and any traffic/people. This is back when I used to live on a busy 57th street house. Unless your dog is actually INSIDE the house, and not locked up in the backyard like in my case, he and those signs won't do much to deter burglars.

Were this the US, where we lived in a castle doctrine state, with my sister having the nerve and training as well as the access to a firearm then I'd like to think things would've been a lot different. :)

nah 04-28-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 7902993)
Someone kicked down the backdoor in the ground level, then kicked down a second door and proceeded to help himself around the first and second floor. He did this with the alarm going off in the background. My sister was on the second level, home alone, and she was so scared with no idea what to do, so she hid behind the counter in the kitchen while the guy was taking a look around. They never saw each other, and he didn't stick around for too long (no doubt because of the loud alarm going off).

Nonetheless, he had the guts to kick down 2 doors of a house that has clear monitored alarm stickers on the windows, in the middle of an afternoon. This was around 6-7 years ago.

Alarms are next to useless.

As for having a dog and the "Beware of dog" signs being useful, I'm a huge skeptic. In a separate break-in in my past, when I had a German Shepherd dog in the backyard, the burglar broke in through a side window of the house in clear view of both the dog and any traffic/people. This is back when I used to live on a busy 57th street house. Unless your dog is actually INSIDE the house, and not locked up in the backyard like in my case, he and those signs won't do much to deter burglars.

Were this the US, where we lived in a castle doctrine state, with my sister having the nerve and training as well as the access to a firearm then I'd like to think things would've been a lot different. :)

They're not useless, did it not make him :gtfo:?

If there wasn't a siren going off, he'd take his sweet ass time ransacking the place.

nns 04-28-2012 08:36 PM

I didn't say they were useless, I said they are next to useless.

I'm fairly certain the guy saw the stickers, and no doubt he heard the alarm, yet he still made his way around the house after breaking in. In the end, the house was still burglarized, we had 2 broken doors, and we had to deal with the insurance and cops. Not to mention my sister was seriously upset over it all. The alarm was not useless, but it didn't do much either.

If an alarm is something you want in your home, you should realize where it's capabilities end. 4444 made it seem like it was the best thing since sliced bread. That's far from the case. I am not putting down alarms, as hard as it may be to believe. I'm just saying don't put too much faith into it, that's all.

Anjew 04-28-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nah (Post 7903184)
They're not useless, did it not make him :gtfo:?

If there wasn't a siren going off, he'd take his sweet ass time ransacking the place.

exactly, just get the alarm anyways as not everyone is as brave as that guy

nickmak 04-28-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmak (Post 7902555)

i was really baked when i made that post. sorry i wasn't trying to call the guy out, i was just making joke

HansonBoy 04-28-2012 10:04 PM

hmm, i live near the area but more south near marine drive. for the past few weeks ive heard emergency service sirens at night constantly, and one night in particular it lasted like half an hour (same night i was going out w/ a friend for a toke and late night movie so i remembered joking that they were waiting for us)

m4k4v4li 04-29-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 7903228)
I didn't say they were useless, I said they are next to useless.

I'm fairly certain the guy saw the stickers, and no doubt he heard the alarm, yet he still made his way around the house after breaking in. In the end, the house was still burglarized, we had 2 broken doors, and we had to deal with the insurance and cops. Not to mention my sister was seriously upset over it all. The alarm was not useless, but it didn't do much either.

If an alarm is something you want in your home, you should realize where it's capabilities end. 4444 made it seem like it was the best thing since sliced bread. That's far from the case. I am not putting down alarms, as hard as it may be to believe. I'm just saying don't put too much faith into it, that's all.

the alarm acts as a deterrent, to wane off those contemplating breaking in. if he already made the concious choice to go in, seeing the signs, obviously he isn't going to leave after hearing it go off
:failed:

alex.w *// 04-29-2012 07:35 AM

this is why everytime i do an alarm install, I make sure I put my companys alarm decal on the windows.

It acts as a first barrier to stop thieves from coming in, but if they really want in, they do everything they can.

I've seen new houses that just been built, but nobody moved in yet or for sale. The alarm is not monitored because there is no telephone line activated yet. They break in, rip the panel apart, and cut the siren wire. Next morning we get a call from the builder, fridge, stove, washer all gone.