REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Legal Question: Motorvehicle incident involving a pedestrian (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667215-legal-question-motorvehicle-incident-involving-pedestrian.html)

missChloe 04-28-2012 01:29 PM

Legal Question: Motorvehicle incident involving a pedestrian

Hi everybody,

I hope this is the right place to ask this.

So, the scenario is thus. Pedestrian crossing the road in a cross walk and was struck by shuttle bus running a red light.

There is a passenger on the bus that also got injured.

Now the passenger on the bus is pursuing legal action against the pedestrian. I don't know if it's in conjuncture with also suing the bus (I hope so), or if the passenger is just suing the pedestrian alone.

My question is, have any of you ever been involved in a similar situation?

How likely will the pedestrian also be found somewhat at fault??

Thanks for the input

Gnomes 04-28-2012 04:59 PM

Weird, the shuttle bus ran through a red light. The pedestrian was not jay walking. If anything, the passenger should sue the shuttle bus driver and the company that hired the driver.

zulutango 04-28-2012 10:03 PM

If the pedestrian was legally crossing on the crosswalk ( ie...not against the light, not running right out in front of vehicles so that they couldn't stop in time) then he/she had nothing to do with the red light running bus. There is no excuse for a driver to run a red light unless due to some severe and immediate life and death emergency.

missChloe 05-28-2012 04:11 PM

I just found out apparently when the passenger decides to sue, they have to bringing ALL the parties involved.

So even if it's unlikely the pedestrian's fault.

It's pretty stupid in my opinion!!

Shorn 05-28-2012 07:22 PM

I don't know what the point of asking these questions on forums are. If you take anything anyone says online as legal advice you're making a big mistake. Talk to a lawyer - whichever side you're on.

hchang 05-28-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomes (Post 7903048)
Weird, the shuttle bus ran through a red light. The pedestrian was not jay walking. If anything, the passenger should sue the shuttle bus driver and the company that hired the driver.

I thought employees cannot be held liable, only the company who employs them.

Graeme S 05-29-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 7931093)
I thought employees cannot be held liable, only the company who employs them.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't include cases of gross individual recklessness or negligence.

missChloe 06-07-2012 01:49 PM

I just want to see if any of you have been involved in similar type of situations, by no means am I seeking straight up legal advice on this forum.

But thank you all for your input