REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Anyway to calculate amount of camber needed? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667262-anyway-calculate-amount-camber-needed.html)

Limitless 04-29-2012 06:12 PM

Anyway to calculate amount of camber needed?

I'm switching a set of wheels and the specs are a bit more aggressive than my last set, so I'm wondering if anyone out there would happen to know how much extra negative camber I need to run it without rubbing?

My previous set was 18x8 +22 front and 18x8 +27 rear on 215/40/18 tires. The next set I'm looking to get might be 18x9 +25 front and rear, and according to 1010tires' offset calculator the new front will be 10mm more out and the new rears will be 15mm more out. I still plan on running 215/40 tires on it. Right now I have just enough room to clear my current set of wheels on big dips, with only 2mm or so to spare for the front and around 3mm to spare for the rear. My front camber is at -0.8 and rear is at -2.8. All camber parts are stock, and I have two sets of camber bolts for the front and may get a pair of sliders for the rear. Does anyone know how much negative camber I need in order to run it without rubbing, or is this something I have to find out myself through trial and error?
Would 205 tires be too much of a stretch and look ridiculous on 18x9 +22?

EDIT: Never mind, I found some 18x9 +35 wheels so I won't have to adjust very much :)

bloodmack 04-29-2012 06:13 PM

trial and error? :lol

G-spec 04-29-2012 06:18 PM

there's way too many variables for anyone to make an exact guess, things like tire brand certain tires run larger or smaller than true size, then offcourse your spring rates and dapmening settings depending on how soft or hard your coilovers are set too and a few other things....

just put them on, see where it rubs then take it from there, you can get stretched tires, stiffen up your suspension, or more camber, etc......

Limitless 04-29-2012 06:41 PM

I was hoping it would be a bit simpler because the only thing that's changing (that matters) is how much further it sticks out, since my suspension won't be changing so the stiffness and dampening settings would be the same. I'm also planning to run the same tires on them if it helps?

G-spec 04-29-2012 08:10 PM

yea, no, its as simple as test fitting first then see where you are with it, only way to really tell

RRxtar 04-29-2012 08:44 PM

the possibilities are...

.. wait for it...

Limitless

westopher 04-29-2012 10:36 PM

A degree will probably buy you about 5mm. Going from 1 degree of camber to 3.5 made my rear wheels go from retardedly bad fitment, to near perfect fitment. Also, if you are running the same size tires, they will stretch more on a 9, so the side all curvature will match the fender shape more as well. But I'd suggest going to a 215/35 if you really want to guarantee some room, or a 205/40. You can find 215/35s for cheap as hell though.

Limitless 04-29-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-spec (Post 7904043)
yea, no, its as simple as test fitting first then see where you are with it, only way to really tell

I see.. I guess I'll just order them and see what happens. Got some good information from the last post :) But you're right, because I won't know for sure until I try em on myself
Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 7904086)
the possibilities are...

.. wait for it...

Limitless

Lmao
Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 7904202)
A degree will probably buy you about 5mm. Going from 1 degree of camber to 3.5 made my rear wheels go from retardedly bad fitment, to near perfect fitment. Also, if you are running the same size tires, they will stretch more on a 9, so the side all curvature will match the fender shape more as well. But I'd suggest going to a 215/35 if you really want to guarantee some room, or a 205/40. You can find 215/35s for cheap as hell though.

Thanks! Good to know, I'll be trying that sometime later down the road :) Now that I found a set of 18x9 +35 instead of 18x9.5 +25 I'm not too worried anymore lol. Never realized how much cheaper it is to find 215 35 tires compared to 215 40. I almost forgot that it would be more of a stretch on 18x9 compared to 18x8 too

westopher 04-29-2012 11:54 PM

I run 215/35s on my car, and though people are scared often to downsize sidewall because of a harsher ride, when you are riding on coils spun all the way to the bottom, with camber, on stretched tires, how much worse is your ride quality really gonna get?:suspicious: Personally I'd rather have my tires cause a firmer ride than have them smash my fenders constantly if thats what it comes down to. What wheels are you looking at?

belaud 04-30-2012 12:19 AM

You're putting 215's on a 9.5?! :suspicious: thats an insane amount of stretch... I know it has no ill effect when daily driving, but your sidewalls are pushed to its limits at this point.

I'm already pushing it putting 255's on a 10.5.

Matsuda 04-30-2012 12:27 AM

this is how much you need:

/___\

:)

MindBomber 04-30-2012 12:38 AM

The closest thing I know of to what you're looking for is willtheyfit.com, but overall it's more about trial and error than anything.

jackal 04-30-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belaud (Post 7904327)
You're putting 215's on a 9.5?! :suspicious: thats an insane amount of stretch... I know it has no ill effect when daily driving, but your sidewalls are pushed to its limits at this point.

lol if you think you "pushing it" with a 255 on a 10.5 you need to stop posting like you know anything about cars.

MindBomber 04-30-2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 7904417)
lol if you think you "pushing it" with a 255 on a 10.5 you need to stop posting like you know anything about cars.

Tire stretching is subjective, if you feel you know so much about modifying cars, you'd probably realize that. Tire to rim size relations that push the boundaries of safety to Belaud (and myself) are comfortably within safety margins to some (such as yourself). The indisputable fact, a 255 is itself well below any manufacturer recommend tire size.

Raid3n 04-30-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belaud (Post 7904327)

:suspicious: of course it has ill effects.... there is less 'rebound' in the tire, meaning the tire is no longer absorbing some of the uneven surface changes in the road, not to mention there will be no shoulder to speak of, so lateral grip will be affected...

also, it will cause the overall shape of the tire to deform slightly, acting similar to an over inflated tire... reducing contact patch....

westopher 04-30-2012 10:05 AM

215s on a 9.5 is fairly large stretch, however he said he is now planning on running a 9 anyways. I have run 205/40/16s on 16x9 on my old car. It was never an issue, and my stretched 205 t1r had a hell of a lot better grip than my 205/50/15 michelins on a 15x6. Its all subjective to what the person wants for their car.

belaud 04-30-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 7904549)
:suspicious: of course it has ill effects.... there is less 'rebound' in the tire, meaning the tire is no longer absorbing some of the uneven surface changes in the road, not to mention there will be no shoulder to speak of, so lateral grip will be affected...

also, it will cause the overall shape of the tire to deform slightly, acting similar to an over inflated tire... reducing contact patch....

Thus I said daily driving as it won't affect the performance of driving from A to B, but it would be "uncomfortable" so to speak. I didn't know there was less rebound though, learn new things every day, thanks for the info!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 7904417)

I do think I'm pushing it if I'm stretching the living shit out of the tire, like MindBomber said, its all subjective, I like to have a small stretch (225/235 on a 8.5) anything further, I'm uncomfortable with it. I never even said I know a lot about cars, I'm simply stating what I understand from my knowledge & research.

Raid3n 04-30-2012 02:29 PM

it WILL affect day to day... if it rains, a smaller contact patch and more bouncy ride = higher probability of loss of traction, and also i would think it would increase the effects of aquaplaning ...

belaud 04-30-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 7904801)
it WILL affect day to day... if it rains, a smaller contact patch and more bouncy ride = higher probability of loss of traction, and also i would think it would increase the effects of aquaplaning ...

Thats why I said it would be "uncomfortable". The difference is not that extreme as to render the vehicle unable to drive in rain properly, unless the stretch is to the far left field of the manufacturer's rating of the tire. (205's on 10.5s :fullofwin:)

Limitless 04-30-2012 09:31 PM

Well it's going on a hybrid so performance isn't an issue.. haha. I had 225/45 on my old 17x9 rfp1's and I felt like I wanted more of a stretch. I'm going with 215/40 on the 18x9 I'm getting, compared to my old wheels which were 18x8 so I think the extra stretch mighttt make up for the extra 5mm poke? My gf is already complaining that the ride is harsh haha so I would like to stay away from 35 tires. My coilovers aren't all the way to the bottom, still have around 2 threads left in the rear and a whole lot in the front lol. I'm looking at white Varrstoens

godwin 04-30-2012 10:03 PM

You don't need to trial and error if you get all the measurements.. it is simple geometry.. it is just getting the measurements are rather tedious for someone without a lift... but it is still doable. Get the measurements put everything together in sketchup... you can make pretty good estimations that way.

Over9K 04-30-2012 10:28 PM

NONE.