REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Female hang glider falls 300m near Agassiz

Happened on Saturday but I didn't hear about it until today

Female hang glider tried to cling to pilot

Quote:
VANCOUVER — A female hang-glider, who detached from a tandem flight shortly after launch near Agassiz, B.C., on Saturday, tried desperately to cling to the pilot’s feet before falling 300 metres to her death.

Jason Warner, safety officer for the Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association of Canada, said the pilot knew almost immediately something was wrong after the pair launched off the popular Mount Woodside just before noon. He tried to grab the 27-year-old woman, identified as Lenami Godinez, and sought to hold on to the straps of her harness but she slid out of his grasp, grabbing his feet in a last-ditch attempt to hang on.

Godinez’s body was found by searchers about seven hours later, about 20 metres from one of the pilot’s shoes.

“(The pilot) realized right away from takeoff that something was wrong and he tried to grab her,” Warner said. “The shoe ended up being a clue to finding her.”

Upper Fraser Valley RCMP Sgt. Mark Pelz said police had received a call shortly before noon Saturday that a woman riding tandem on a glider had fallen. Police, aided by helicopter, search and rescue teams from nearby Chilliwack and Kent-Harrison, as well as local paragliders combed the terrain for hours. One of the paragliders spotted a shoe earlier in the day but didn’t link it to the pilot until just before the search was to be called off.

Warner said they retraced their steps and found Godinez, who is originally from Mexico but has lived in Canada for nine years. She had worked for the administrative services south coast region division at B.C. Ministry of Environment.

A base for the search was set up at the Koffee Kettle Motel. Owner Dahlia Simper said the woman’s boyfriend watched in horror as just a few minutes into the flight she fell out of her harness and grabbed the pilot until she could no longer hold on to him and fell.

“It’s really sad,” she said.

Simper, who has owned the motel for 10 years, said there have been several hang gliding accidents in the area in recent years.

Warner said he can’t recall a fatal accident like this happening in Canada.

“We work very hard to make sure our safety standards are adhered to,” Warner said.

He said the pilot had more than a decade of experience hang gliding all over the world and was up to date on his membership with the association, which monitors instructors. But he noted this has been “an irregular year” with two paragliding accidents in which the pilots injured their backs after failing to properly prepare for takeoff. Earlier this month, a paraglider crash-landed into a tree near Agassiz after jumping off Mount Woodside.

Warner said HPAC is considering new safety measures following Saturday’s tragedy. “We’re now strongly encouraging the buddy system where somebody looks at your equipment before you launch,” he said.

Warner said the pilot is emotional and upset. He has apologized to the woman’s boyfriend and both are receiving support from victim’s services. It was the woman and her boyfriend’s first time trying the sport, said Warner.

“At this point there is an investigation so we don’t know if it was a pilot error or an equipment failure,” he said.

The BC Coroner’s Service is investigating.

Barb McLintock, spokeswoman for the BC Coroner’s Service, said an investigation will determine whether there need to be more fail-safe measures in the sport.

“There’s nothing to suggest this is anything but a very tragic accidental death,” she said. “We need to know what happened; what went wrong.”

Pelz said the police aren’t investigating criminal charges but that could be a possibility as well as potential civil implications because the pilot was contracted to provide the service.

Read more: Female hang glider tried to cling to pilot
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
really?.. some reason im afraid of taking shits after ghost movies.. i always think about what if a ghost's hand came out of the toilet and grabbed my nuts or stuck its hand in my ass -___________-.... i mean if it came outa the mirror id have reaction time to run but the toilets.. thats a pretty good blind spot to sneak up on people from -_____- ...
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #2

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Damn, that blows.

There's CYR 138 by there for the prison but it only goes to 1100'. I was flying back from hope the other day and saw a parasailer cruisin just west of Agassiz, probably in the same area as this.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Sent chills down my spine reading it; imaging what the man, the woman and her boyfriend were feeling as it happened...

RIP
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

yeah i read it on the news, its pretty saddening. Boyfriend got her it for their anniversary present. And apparently now, the pilot involved is getting charged. He "withheld potential key evidence which could help determine whether he played a role in any wrong doing."
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

^ this is all pretty frightening especially since i'm flying with the same pilot next month. Knowing that he's hiding stuff as well shows how irresponsible he is and as a customer, i don't really want to entrust my life to him
yukikaze203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #6

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukikaze203 View Post
^ this is all pretty frightening especially since i'm flying with the same pilot next month. Knowing that he's hiding stuff as well shows how irresponsible he is and as a customer, i don't really want to entrust my life to him
You do realize you are jumping to conclusions based off of one sentence in a NEWS article right? And you do realize how manipulative reporters/journalists can be with their info.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
You do realize you are jumping to conclusions based off of one sentence in a NEWS article right? And you do realize how manipulative reporters/journalists can be with their info.
Nonetheless, I would cancel that session....You wouldn't?
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
Nonetheless, I would cancel that session....You wouldn't?
Actually, I would reckon that the safest time to do an activity like that would be shortly after a major accident as the scrutiny that the procedures and gear go through in the period afterwards would ensure a higher level of safety.

In my experience nothing makes you triplecheck your gear quite like a catastrophic failure happening.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
SiRVs up, dude

RIP.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #10

So sad to hear. Trying to grab a hold with all your might and then falling hopelessly waiting to die.....
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Actually, I would reckon that the safest time to do an activity like that would be shortly after a major accident as the scrutiny that the procedures and gear go through in the period afterwards would ensure a higher level of safety.

In my experience nothing makes you triplecheck your gear quite like a catastrophic failure happening.
Makes sense.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
rip
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
RS controls my life!

Jesus, I can't imagine what her last thoughs would have been as she was falling. RIP
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukikaze203 View Post
i would try and book it with another instructor...just saying
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

Just like when the safest time to go to a nightclub is the night after a shooting.

My guess would be that he withheld the video that records the activity and is sold to the customer after. It probably shows how she fell.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
my guess is the pilot will not be flying for a while.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Pilot involved in fatal hang-gliding accident charged with obstructing justice

Pilot involved in fatal hang-gliding accident charged with obstructing justice
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
^^^ just watching about this on the news

he swallowed the memory card

I can understand him being scared of being made a scape goat but when you go that far... wouldn't be surprised if he gets some negligence charges
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Edit

^just beat me to it
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Wow, my GF and I went paragliding off that mountain a few years ago. Very sad for her and her BF.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #21

oh the session got cancelled just now lol
yukikaze203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
^^^ just watching about this on the news

he swallowed the memory card

I can understand him being scared of being made a scape goat but when you go that far... wouldn't be surprised if he gets some negligence charges
WTF. he swallowed the memory card which had the video of the fall? were the cops busting down his door or something? obviously easier ways of disposing of the card. i wonder what's on the video that makes him so nervous. unless he's all psycho from the trauma. either way, it's going to hurt coming out in a few days time.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #23
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Well according to CTV someone there told officers that the pilot/company films the whole experience so they should try getting a copy of the video and when asked by police for the video the pilot gulped down the memory card
(no word if said card was recovered)

Last edited by StylinRed; 05-01-2012 at 07:56 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #24
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
What a horrible way to die...
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Just wait for the memory card to pass through his system.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote