REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Provincial vehicle inspection question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667451-provincial-vehicle-inspection-question.html)

oris98 05-03-2012 01:29 AM

Provincial vehicle inspection question

Hi all,
I am planning to import a vehicle with an Toyota 1zzw30 engine (Mr2) into Canada.. Other than the some extra under braces, Strut Springs only lowered 1" (no coilcover ) and exhaust system upgraded, this vehicle is quite stock.. My questions is will it be able to pass provincial inspection ? The exhaust includes a Che header, PPE high flow CAT down pipe and a TM ss muffler and duel pipes installed. Engine is healthy and overall the car has been taken care of. Will this vehicle be passing the provincial vehicle inspection and aircare ?

Many thanks in advance..

godwin 05-03-2012 06:18 PM

Well if you know it is healthy for a fact (using a gas analyzer etc) and it is not to different from your vehicle's original aircare profile.. then it should be easy.

oris98 05-03-2012 07:33 PM

Well I am not sure it is not too different from the OEM exhaust and muffler from air and sound wise. I believe there are some kine of standards such as noise level cannot be over certain db ... etc.. I thought PPE CAT, PPE CAI and Team-moon exhaust is quite common for some of you that have modded your vehicle with these components may have passed or failed the aircare test.. Any comment ? Thanks again..

godwin 05-03-2012 07:52 PM

Aircare doesn't care about noise.

The key is what car / year it is.. eg if you original car is a 2L and you stuff in a V12 into it.. it will probably never pass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oris98 (Post 7908399)
Well I am not sure it is not too different from the OEM exhaust and muffler from air and sound wise. I believe there are some kine of standards such as noise level cannot be over certain db ... etc.. I thought PPE CAT, PPE CAI and Team-moon exhaust is quite common for some of you that have modded your vehicle with these components may have passed or failed the aircare test.. Any comment ? Thanks again..

oris98 05-03-2012 08:20 PM

Engine is a stock 2005 1zzw30 with no mod. It just have the upgraded Che header and PPE CAT, CAI and TM SS muffler with dual pipe. Lowered spring.

I was thinking of getting the Mr2 with a 2zzGe engine but due to the vehicle inspection concern, I rather take the one with original 1zz engine to avoid extra trouble..

godwin 05-03-2012 09:20 PM

oh since it is an 05.. it has to pass OBD2 test at aircare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oris98 (Post 7908438)
Engine is a stock 2005 1zzw30 with no mod. It just have the upgraded Che header and PPE CAT, CAI and TM SS muffler with dual pipe. Lowered spring.

I was thinking of getting the Mr2 with a 2zzGe engine but due to the vehicle inspection concern, I rather take the one with original 1zz engine to avoid extra trouble..

oris98 05-03-2012 09:30 PM

This car is 2000 but it has replaced with an 05 engine in it.. So technically, it is still an 2000 car.

godwin 05-04-2012 05:32 AM

You still need to pass OBD2... for cars since my97

Quote:

Originally Posted by oris98 (Post 7908524)
This car is 2000 but it has replaced with an 05 engine in it.. So technically, it is still an 2000 car.

MWR34 05-04-2012 12:43 PM

I am assuming your getting this from the US of A.

The car will need to pass a provincial inspection, which will need to address any issues or compliance that is stated on the compliance letter from RIV.

So installing DRL, child safety restrain hooks, all seatbelts work, horn works, lights, flashers, no airbag lights, brakes and tires at a safe level etc...

once that is passed, you then take your printed out RIV form and go to a canadian tire, and they walk around your car to make sure you did things properly, double check the VIN, and your pretty much done. go register your car and insure it. The first time you insure your car in canada, 3 months or 1 year you are aircare exempt.