REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Disgruntled Translink Commuters, Unite!

there's so many anti-translink threads on RS..i decided to start a new one

i remember reading about an article last year about my particular route (49) being the least reliable one.

I found that article again but this time with a map and graph.

It's pretty cool..shows you which route and which stop has the most pass-by's.

TransLink bus routes with the most passups - Vancouver Sun

Original article:

Documents reveal Coast Mountain buses passed by stops more than 200,000 times in 2010

When I read
Quote:
“One day I was standing there for an hour and watched five buses go by,” he said. “It became so bad I was getting reprimanded at work for being late three or four times a week.”
I was like iknowthatfeelingbro.jpg
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

so this is a thread to voice our complaints towards Translink?
-20 minutes waiting for a bus, all of a sudden 3 of them show up a minute apart.
-Advertising their stupid golden ears bridge. Who demanded that bridge when there's so many current bridges with major issues?
-Why the rejection of larger buses for the broadway corridor? It seems like the best idea until the skytrain line is built?
-Why aren't transfer stations set up so that all of the buses arrive and leave at the same time like a normal town?
-Skytrains stay open all weekend. Pull your head out of your asses translink.
-put full transportation maps on all major stops, aswell as scheduled arrival times for all stops.
-Bus lanes on a highway. All of my why.
-Stop bitching about your lack of funding, get your shit together and build those god damn turnstiles. And put the fares to better use. As far as I know, all of the bus fare goes to gasoline, yet half the buses and the skytrain are electric.

I mad.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
I don't see why motorists have to pay for translink shit, thats the part which made me hella mad. I would use public transit maybe once or twice every half year, but that shouldn't justify me having to pay extra on gas because theres a "lack of funding".

(Its starting @ 2c/L, and gradually being raised to acommodate to their finances)
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
^ because translink owns bridges and major roads that cross muni boundaries

and to support their taj mahal at metrotown aka translink HQ
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
My favorite.

The carbon tax is introduced to 'inspire' or more like 'coerce' people to use more transit or alternative transportation. Makes sense...gas is more expensive, thereby making transit 'seem' cheaper.

Then, they go and increase the fares.

Doesn't that negate the whole thing?

This just in. Breaking news:It WAS a tax grab afterall.

You give these people more money, and they will certainly spend it.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
-20 minutes waiting for a bus, all of a sudden 3 of them show up a minute apart.

Bunching means there are too many buses on the road or bus drivers are waiting too long at the bus stops for load/unload. People need to take off their backpacks and GTF on/off ASAP. Bus bunching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Why the rejection of larger buses for the broadway corridor? It seems like the best idea until the skytrain line is built?

So you want a triple articulated bus on the road or a double decker articulated trolley bus

-Why aren't transfer stations set up so that all of the buses arrive and leave at the same time like a normal town?

that would just mean a clusterfuck during rush hour with people boarding and getting off at the same time.

Because idiots won't yield to a bus

-Stop bitching about your lack of funding, get your shit together and build those god damn turnstiles. And put the fares to better use. As far as I know, all of the bus fare goes to gasoline, yet half the buses and the skytrain are electric.

Never, because north american transit system

I mad.
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
I am grateful grapefruit

Interesting thought about our bus system... think about how busy all the buses are that go to UBC/Langara/SFU, etc... now think about if all those students were now driving how much more congested our roads would be.

That and I hate people who bitch about our turnstiles. I don't think people realize how expensive such a system is costing us to design and implement; they don't realize that we actually won't be profiting from such a system because: a) there will always be fare evasion, whether it's using your friend's U Pass or people jumping turnstiles, and b) our fare evasion rate actually isn't as high as people think.

We need to enforce fines: in many countries in Europe, people caught with fare evasion will have to pay their fine on the spot. If you don't have cash, they will go with you to the ATM. If you're too broke to pay, you'll get arrested. That and their fines are more acceptable - like $50. Our fines here ($175) will only scare some people, but when newspapers publish stories about how our fines are never collected, people will stop paying.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

We need to fire all the blood sucking executives and seniors managers in Translink. They don't give a fuck about transit riders, road users, etc. They don't give a fuck about whether they get additional funding or not. If they don't get the funds, they just cut services. The only thing they do care about is their own fucking salaries, bonuses, and pensions.
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
as my wise coworker said one say, ppl in management eventually get to a point of incompetence and only care about their salaries. So they hire ppl to so their jobs so they can continue to kiss the ass of the person above them. Now imagine the ppl they hired doing the same. damn. I'm pursuing the wrong career.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
We need to enforce fines: in many countries in Europe, people caught with fare evasion will have to pay their fine on the spot. If you don't have cash, they will go with you to the ATM. If you're too broke to pay, you'll get arrested. That and their fines are more acceptable - like $50. Our fines here ($175) will only scare some people, but when newspapers publish stories about how our fines are never collected, people will stop paying.
The best is when they humiliate and publicly shame you in front of everybody. Social justice.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
i noticed alot more douchebags on the 99 b line than any other bus route

20 bus is never on time at night

translink is so unreliable when you really need it

packed buses like were all sardines lol

and who can forget " BACK DOOOOOOOOOOOOOR"
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
The B.C. government introduced legislation today that will give TransLink the powers to go after fare evaders. Drivers with unpaid fines - both past and future -- will not be able to renew their licence or registration.

TransLink may also make use of collection agencies or can go to court to get at the assets of people who do not pay.

Get the rest of the story at
Free ride over for fare evaders as TransLink gets new powers
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
There was one time I was stupid enough to wait for the bus near children's hospital nearly a hour and half in the rain, i was soaking wet... I got pass by at least 10 buses, I ain't kidding.
The route was #25 Brentwood, then i decided to walk home until i passed few bus stops and bus finally stopped and picked me up which it was near Canada Line...

Ditto about douchebags on #99 B-Line, bitches shoved me like I'm pathetic

[29-04, 00:14] El Bastardo: Santofu isn't the hero Revscene needs, but hes the hero Revscene deserves
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santofu View Post
Ditto about douchebags on #99 B-Line, bitches shoved me like I'm pathetic
Better call the RS Beatdown Crew since you're the leader now
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
I'm trying to understand why there's transit security AND transit police.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
-Advertising their stupid golden ears bridge. Who demanded that bridge when there's so many current bridges with major issues?
-Skytrains stay open all weekend. Pull your head out of your asses translink.
-put full transportation maps on all major stops, aswell as scheduled arrival times for all stops.

I mad.

Pretty much everything that is wrong with Translink at the moment. I fully agree with everything you said. Having experienced European transit, doing everything on your list would bring us up to at least the minimum standard of big city transit.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
I wonder how reliable our transportation is compared to other cities
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Can we talk about how awful bus drivers are? I was on a bus the other day when people were just falling out of their seats because our driver was speeding up so erratically and braking super hard at every light/stop. People that were SITTING were falling forward out of their seats. I'm not exaggerating...an old lady straight up felt out of her seat and into the aisle.

I used to get passed all the time when I went to UBC on the 480. I was the last stop out of Richmond so I was often passed by two, sometimes three full buses. Complaints went nowhere so today, I drive whenever possible. I'll vote against anything to do with public transit. Fuck 'em if they want us to save the environment or whatever when they can't even put a decent service in place...AND they want us to pay higher fares.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
I STILL don't get it

maybe we should start a protest.... or maybe a riot!!!
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Don't you hate drivers that are slow as fuck? Like they drive so slow that they have to stop at every red light and they're usually at the front of the lights. We want to get places ON time not a while after...But there are some drivers that are quite efficient and I thank them for that when I get off.
BossFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Can we talk about how awful bus drivers are? I was on a bus the other day when people were just falling out of their seats because our driver was speeding up so erratically and braking super hard at every light/stop. People that were SITTING were falling forward out of their seats. I'm not exaggerating...an old lady straight up felt out of her seat and into the aisle.

I used to get passed all the time when I went to UBC on the 480. I was the last stop out of Richmond so I was often passed by two, sometimes three full buses. Complaints went nowhere so today, I drive whenever possible. I'll vote against anything to do with public transit. Fuck 'em if they want us to save the environment or whatever when they can't even put a decent service in place...AND they want us to pay higher fares.
Drive too fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossFrancis View Post
Don't you hate drivers that are slow as fuck? Like they drive so slow that they have to stop at every red light and they're usually at the front of the lights. We want to get places ON time not a while after...But there are some drivers that are quite efficient and I thank them for that when I get off.
Drive too slow.

Can't win.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^i don't think its because they were driving too fast, but they were driving in a "i don't give a fuck" attitude.
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #23
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
It wasn't driving too fast...it was like he didn't understand the principle of acceleration and deceleration. Just STOMPED on the gas from a full stop and then lifted to coast...sending everyone back in their seats...then doesn't brake until SUPER LATE and throws people forward. It was one of the weirdest bus rides I've ever been on. I was SITTING DOWN and struggling to stay upright while watching everyone around me fall to the ground.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

some of these were mentioned but my least favorte things avout busses:
-bus coming regularly 7 mins before its supposed to. so u come 5 mins before it shud get there and still miss it and wait 20 mins like a jackass
-bus drivers speeding and braking hard as hell, causing me to fly across the damn thing
-as someone said busses not coming then suddenly two come at once lol
-bussing during fireworks time
-stupid fucking employees. while i suspect most bus drivers are good hard working people and most senior executives arent, my experience with the ones in between causes me to think theyre all idiots. i dealt with someome in hr and someone in pr and both were lazy fucks. it took almost 6 months for them to complete a one hour task related to a press release i was helping oversee

some weird stories:
-one time someonewas hanging onto a pole in the back of the bus and THE POLE BROKE. the person was like wtf and put it on the bus floor
-one time a dude fell asleep, head fell on the wire you pull for stop and broke the whole thing bus-wide rofl
-one time a hobo sprinted and ran face first into the aide of the bus window. awesome.
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
-stupid fucking employees. while i suspect most bus drivers are good hard working people and most senior executives arent, my experience with the ones in between causes me to think theyre all idiots. i dealt with someome in hr and someone in pr and both were lazy fucks. it took almost 6 months for them to complete a one hour task related to a press release i was helping oversee
don't even get me started on the back office people and the executives there.

Most people know that most bus drivers are hard working and have a difficult job and have to put up/deal with a lot of shiet. But the back office workers seem to have it super easy and dont do jack shiet.

The executives/managers are the worst, I tried to get info from one of them one time, and it just took forever, I understand they got other priorities and obligations, the task would take 20 minutes max, so I figure it would take a couple days max to get back to me. BUT NO! took like 7-8 Business days!! WTF! and these are the guys making $110,000 a year.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote